PDA

View Full Version : Alesha Dixon

Perdita
19-10-2008, 13:31
Two years ago Alesha Dixon lost her record contract after her second single, 'Knockdown', stalled outside the top 40. Now, having endeared herself to the British public with her sparky performances on Strictly Come Dancing, she's ready for another crack at the charts. Impressed with her new single, the irresistible mambo-pop of 'The Boy Does Nothing', we hooked up with Alesha for a catch up.

What's 'The Boy Does Nothing' all about?
"Well, the title's very lighthearted and tongue-in-cheek. I don't really mean to offend boys! It's a fun, feelgood song that's playing around with guys rather than trying to attack them."

Is it really true that if the man can't dance...
"... he gets no second chance. That's the harsh line, isn't it? I have to be honest, I do like a man who can dance, but it's not a deal-breaker. It's nice if they can dance, but if they can't we'll just have to work on other areas!"

A lot of people think it sounds like 'Mambo No.5'. Do you mind?
"No, it's absolutely fine by me. When I think of 'Mambo No. 5', I think of a song that makes everyone get up and dance every time it comes on. I hope this is a slightly cooler version though! I just wanted the first song I came out with to celebrate what happened to me on Strictly, and I feel this song represents that moment."

What chart position are you aiming for?
"Number one. My theory in life is you have to aim for the top. If you don't get there, it wasn't your destiny. But you have to believe you can do it and I certainly believe in myself as an artist. After I was dropped by Polydor, it took me a long time to get the strength to go back in the studio. The reason is I did is because I still have the passion for music. That passion was bigger than the worry about things going wrong."

Are you approaching things differently this time around?
"I am. When I got dropped, I was heartbroken, distraught. This time I feel like I've put a protection around myself and I'm stronger. I know it's a business and it's about selling records, but for the artist it's more personal than that and you put your soul into your album. I'm trying to be more practical about it while still putting my heart into everything I do."

How important was Strictly in relaunching your pop career?
"Well, I was half-way through making my album when I was offered Strictly. I was scared to say yes, because I was worried people in the music industry wouldn't take me seriously as an artist if I'd appeared on a reality show. I chose to do it because I was a fan, I wanted to learn how to dance and I wanted to do something fun. When Strictly was over, I picked up where I left off with the album and it was fantastic. I felt like I was in a stronger position and I'd opened up a whole new audience."

Is it strange seeing Matthew, your Strictly partner, dancing with Christine Bleakley this year?
"Yes and no. At first I had to adjust my eyes a bit, because when I look at Matthew I expect to see myself at the end of his arms! But now I've met Christine I have to say she and Matthew are a fantastic match. Matthew has a different sort of relationship with Christine, but I think they're a good team because they both have gentle souls."

Who's impressed you on this year's show?
"Rachel Stevens is looking really good technically, but I've warmed to John Sergeant because I'm drawn in to his spirit and the songs he chooses. It's not just about the dancing for me, it's about the energy the couples give off. I have a feeling Matt and Christine will go very far - she has the Irish vote, so you never know, she could win it."

Alesha Dixon releases 'The Boy Does Nothing' on November 3. Her album, The Alesha Show, follows on November 17.

tammyy2j
28-10-2008, 12:40
I def going to get her debut album i liked all the songs released

new single

Boy Does Nothing

YouTube - Alesha Dixon - Boy Does Nothing - From Team Behind Girls Aloud & Sugababes. Xclusive Video

lizann
06-11-2008, 17:06
new single is very catchy :thumbsup:

Debs
06-11-2008, 17:54
I love this new song!

Chris_2k11
06-11-2008, 18:38
I def going to get her debut album i liked all the songs releasedI thought this was her second album?

I love this song too

Bryan
06-11-2008, 19:45
her albumn was never released, her record company dropped her after her first two singles flopped badly in the charts, but saying that I really liked Lipstick & Knocked Down

Chris_2k11
11-11-2008, 22:13
Im getting addicted to this new song :D:D catchy as!

tammyy2j
12-11-2008, 12:55
The Alesha Show
Released 24/11/2008

Track Listing:

Welcome to the Alesha Show
Let's Get Excited
Breathe Slow
Cinderella Shoe
The Boy does Nothing
Chasing Ghosts
Play Me
Hand it Over
Do You Know the Way it Feels
Can I Begin
Italians Do it Better12. Ooh baby I Like it Like That
Don't Ever let Me go
I'm thru
Mystery (hidden track)

FIRED UP (JAPANESE IMPORT)
Released 20/02/2008

Track Listing:

HYPNOTIK
LIPSTICK
FIRED UP
KNOCKDOWN
SUPERFICIAL
TING A LING
FREE
EVERYBODY WANTS TO CHANGE THE WORLD
LET IT GO
A LIL` BIT OF LOVE
TURN IT UP
EVERYWHERE I GO
VOODOO
LIPSTICK (AGENT X REMIX)
KNOCKDOWN (K GEE HEAT REMIX)

Chris_2k11
15-11-2008, 21:04
Children In Need performance :thumbsup:

YouTube - Alesha Dixon - The Boy Does Nothing (CIN Performance)

Abbie
15-11-2008, 21:05
Loved it! :D It really is a catchy song :p

Chris_2k11
16-11-2008, 22:49
shes made number 5 today :thumbsup: recognition at last

CrazyLea
16-11-2008, 23:36
Love The Boy Does Nothing. :cheer:. Well catchy.

Did anyone hear her on the Chris Moyles show the other morning? She was funny as.

Abbie
17-11-2008, 19:11
Aww no I wanted to though :(

Bryan
18-11-2008, 16:37
Love Aleesha and her past songs, but not the biggest fan of this song it has to be said. Shan't hold it against her though, I'm sure there's some better stuff on her albumn.