PDA

View Full Version : EastEnders Receives Complaints over Gay Kiss

di marco
09-10-2008, 19:56
BBC soap EastEnders has received 145 complaints from viewers concerned about a gay kiss in Tuesday night's episode.

The scene which has been called into question saw Christian Clarke (John Partridge) and his new boyfriend Lee Thompson (Carl Ferguson) sharing a kiss on the bench in Albert Square's gardens. As Dot Cotton (June Brown) walked through the Square during their embrace, she reminded them that "the Lord’s not the only one with eyes".

Writing on the Points Of View message board, one viewer said: "I am appalled by the display of homosexual kissing before the watershed shown on EastEnders. This is disgraceful whilst young children are watching and sets the wrong example."

Another viewer said of the scene: "I had to explain to my seven-year-old son what was happening. He now thinks he is gay because he kisses his dad."

One viewer, however, added: "I don't see what the fuss is about, given the context of their kissing and messing about and the way it was portrayed."

In a statement, the BBC defended its depiction of homosexual relationships, saying: "EastEnders aims to reflect real life, and this means including and telling stories about characters from many different backgrounds, faiths, religions and sexualities.

"We approach our portrayal of homosexual relationships in the same way as we do heterosexual relationships. In this instance, Christian is enjoying the first flush of romance and we've shown him being affectionate with his new boyfriend in the same way any couple would."

It continued: "We also aim to ensure that depictions of affection or sexuality between couples are suitable for pre-watershed viewing. We believe that the general tone and content of EastEnders is now widely recognised, meaning that parents can make an informed decision as to whether they want their children to watch."

At the beginning of the month, 110 people complained to the public broadcaster over its treatment of a recent Ramadan storyline, while the latest child abuse plot involving Tony King (Chris Coghill) and Whitney Dean (Shone McGarty) sparked over 200.

di marco
09-10-2008, 19:59
:rolleyes: i really do think its getting to the stage now where these people are going to complain about everything shown on ee!

Another viewer said of the scene: "I had to explain to my seven-year-old son what was happening. He now thinks he is gay because he kisses his dad."

no offence to this woman but she obviously didnt explain it very well to her son if he now thinks hes gay cos he kisses his dad! does he then also think hes sexually attracted to his mum cos he kisses her?! its stupid!

We believe that the general tone and content of EastEnders is now widely recognised, meaning that parents can make an informed decision as to whether they want their children to watch.

i think thats very well said lol!

Debs
09-10-2008, 20:31
FFS, people will complain about anything!!

I agree eastenders has been running a long time and viewers should no by now it shows things that mayeb arent suitable for a certain age of child

Me i have no problem letting connor who is 6, see a man kiss a man or a woman kiss a woman.... he sees men and women full blown snogging many times in adverts etc and just says yuck! he knows that some men love men, women love women and to him its not anything wierd or different, maybe becuase when he first mentioned the whole gay thing coz hed heard it at school we sat and explained, like parents should do

I just think some people have no life and love to just sit on the phone or computer emailing, for something to do! get a life ffs

Timalay
09-10-2008, 20:34
Oh ffs it's the 21st century, these people need too educate there kids better.

samantha nixon
09-10-2008, 20:39
I think this is one of the stupiediest complaint ever, as its every day life there are same sex couples

people need to find something better to do with their time, rather than complain

Kim
09-10-2008, 20:42
It's legal to marry someone of the same sex now and they're only highlighting a real life issue here! Was there even that much of a fuss over the Sonia/Naomi storyline? I don't remember Corrie getting complaints over the Todd and Nick kiss and Nick is Sarah's brother!

DaVeyWaVey
09-10-2008, 20:44
The mother is ridiculous. she think it's ok to allow her seven year old son to watch Eastenders, but doesn't think to give him the facts of life and tell him what the term 'gay' means... :confused: deary me.

Chris_2k11
09-10-2008, 20:53
lmao when are these people gonna find something else to do with their time, its getting ridiculous.

I'd like to make a complaint.....i wanna complain about these whingers. we all up for that ey!! :D

Kim
09-10-2008, 20:54
I hope they sit down one day and are asked what they did with their lives by their grandchildren or something. "Oh, I spent all day emailing the BBC filing complaints about EastEnders!" :lol:

alan45
09-10-2008, 21:53
FFS

Much as I dislike Deadenders thats a stupid thing to complain about. The acting may be crap now but when EE was in its heyday they had the first Gay Kiss between Barry?? (Not Barry Evans) and Colin played by Michael Cashman.

That was at least 10 years ago

LostVoodoo
10-10-2008, 06:59
maybe the BBC should tell everyone who rings up to stop being homophobic...

Katy
10-10-2008, 14:48
I think they should, clearly these complainers do not live in the real world as it is common in society.

Dutchgirl
10-10-2008, 15:28
Please let them get a life. You can complain about just everything. My little girl thinks it is normal to have two uncles. And she should right so.

sindydoll
10-10-2008, 16:01
i work with elderly people and they were not brought up that way and thats why they get complaints

Xx-Vicky-xX
10-10-2008, 16:14
i work with elderly people and they were not brought up that way and thats why they get complaints

Elderly people is one thing but for a woman to have a 7 year old boy she cant be that old.

I can maybe understand the complaint about the abuse thing with Tony/Whitney, or the thing about the fasting (i dont agree with them, i like the fact EE portray this kind of stuff - but i can see that some people might be offended or what ever by them) but do these people not go out? has time frozen for them? There are gay couples, and they do kiss if this is a shock to people then there is something wrong and they quickly need a reality check

JustJodi
10-10-2008, 19:08
these curtain twitchers have the EE complaint number on their speed dial,,they have no real lives so they look for something to complain about, in all honesty I did not see Christian and Lee kiss,, but again,,we all have seen same sex kissing on prime time TV a thousand of times before and we are going to see it a thousand times again, why have they targeted EE ??:hmm: Oh well:searchme:

Abbie
10-10-2008, 23:09
I honestly believe that there are a group of people who are all in a club that get together and complain about anything and everything on EE

DaVeyWaVey
11-10-2008, 11:33
Complaints like these will eventually ruin British TV.

di marco
11-10-2008, 16:08

tbh id guess most of the people who complain arent elderly people. old people might moan to people they know about it or tut when they see it on the tv but i dont think they would actually bother phoning up the bbc to complain about it

StarsOfCCTV
11-10-2008, 19:16
these curtain twitchers have the EE complaint number on their speed dial,,they have no real lives so they look for something to complain about, in all honesty I did not see Christian and Lee kiss,, but again,,we all have seen same sex kissing on prime time TV a thousand of times before and we are going to see it a thousand times again, why have they targeted EE ??:hmm: Oh well:searchme:

It's like some programes are immune...e.g. last week Zoe and Adam in Casualty went to the bar purely to get drunk and were taking shots but when Holby showed Maddy and Sam doing the same they got a right telling off!