PDA

View Full Version : Wendy Richard 'dying of cancer'

Timalay
05-10-2008, 13:06
Digital Spy
Former EastEnders star Wendy Richard has announced that she is dying of cancer.

The 65-year-old actress, who played Pauline Fowler on the BBC One soap, was diagnosed with an aggressive form of the disease in January this year. She has previously fought breast cancer twice.

"I went for my usual annual check-up and they found that some cancer cells had returned in my left armpit," Wendy explained.

Richard told the Sunday Express newspaper that she has already made out her will and discussed plans for her funeral.

"The drugs I was given to help had an adverse effect. If anything, they did more damage than good so my health has really deteriorated," she continued. "Now I have a cancerous growth on my right kidney and the cancer has spread to my bones.

"Twice I've had breast cancer but this is different. It's more aggressive this time, unfortunately, and has spread to the top of my spine and left ribs."

Richard plans to marry her partner John Burns before starting a course of chemotherapy later this month.

"My oncologist said I've got several useful years ahead of me but since then it's got worse," she said. "Part of me is dreading the chemo but I've got my wig all ready and prepared, because obviously I will lose my hair. Because I've never had chemo before they can give me a big dose so I'm hoping that will zap it."

The actress starred on EastEnders from 1985 to 2006. She had previously played Miss Brahms in Are You Being Served? for thirteen years.

sindydoll
05-10-2008, 13:51
ive just been reading this on ds web page she struggled with it hasnt she

GwennieS
05-10-2008, 13:54
This is devastating news, I'm so sorry to hear that she's not able to enjoy her retirement. I hope her doctors are able to find a treatment that works for her, good luck Wendy.

Chloe O'brien
05-10-2008, 14:59
She must be devasted after battling breast cancer twice, Wendy is a fighter and let's hope she can kick this fight into touch as well.

Perdita
05-10-2008, 15:54
Aww, I hope she can get treatment and that she can beat it again. All the best, Wendy xx

Pinkbanana
05-10-2008, 16:46
It is sad and I hope they can at least contain and control the cancer, sooo she has a few more years of good health left.

However, I don't think she has helped herself, she's had cancer twice already, and yet still smokes heavily. I saw her last year outside a pub, chain smoking. Each to their own, but I think given the circumstances I would have stopped smoking.

Perdita
05-10-2008, 16:52
Can smoking contribute to breast cancer? If it was lung cancer I am sure she would have quit.

parkerman
05-10-2008, 17:39
Research shows that smoking can be linked to breast cancer:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3373171.stm

Abbie
05-10-2008, 19:18
This is so sad :(

Bryan
05-10-2008, 19:29
this is such sad news, how many more people will we loose to this awful disease before they find a cure for it?

Pinkbanana
05-10-2008, 19:55
Can smoking contribute to breast cancer? If it was lung cancer I am sure she would have quit.

I think if I had been diagnosed with any type of cancer it would be enough for me to stop immediately. I mean whats the point of going through all that chemo etc... if you arent going to stop smoking which is dangerous in itself for your health.

Katy
05-10-2008, 22:44
Poor Wendy, its so sad and she is only 65 that is not that old in reality.

Perdita
06-10-2008, 10:39
Eastenders star Wendy Richard's former on-screen husband was distraught yesterday after she said she was dying of cancer.

Bill Treacher, 78, who played Arthur Fowler, was so upset he spoke only through his agent.

His representative said the actor was "devastated".

Wendy, 65, who played Pauline Fowler, has twice fought breast cancer but this time it has spread to her bones and a kidney.

She has vowed to marry her long-time partner John Burns before she dies.

Wendy will start chemotherapy but said: "This is different. It's more aggressive this time."

She will wed partner of 13 years John this month but the resigned star revealed she had started planning her funeral, even picking the music.

Wendy shot to fame in 1972 as Miss Brahms in hit BBC1 sit-com Are You Being Served?

Perdita
06-10-2008, 10:42

I think if I had been diagnosed with any type of cancer it would be enough for me to stop immediately. I mean whats the point of going through all that chemo etc... if you arent going to stop smoking which is dangerous in itself for your health.

By the sound of it, it is bad news for her, no point in stopping smoking now, she might as well enjoy what time she has left rather than coping with the withdrawal as well as the other treatments she needs to undergo.

tammyy2j
06-10-2008, 12:21
Poor Wendy

Perdita
06-10-2008, 18:53
Former EastEnders star Wendy Richard has spoken out about her decision to quit the soap in 2006.

The 65-year-old, who recently revealed that she is dying of cancer, said she left over a storyline which would see her character Pauline Fowler remarry.

"Pauline remarrying was wrong. Some women never remarry. My mother never remarried after Daddy died. I always had it in my heart that Arthur was Pauline's husband and that was that," she told the Daily Telegraph.

"I left because I wasn't happy. Also, I couldn't believe in what they wanted me to do and unless I can find some truth in what I am doing, I cannot play it."

Richard added that she thinks her best days on the BBC soap were alongside Bill Treacher, who played husband Arthur.

"Bill and I had some wonderful storylines and Bill was bloody good to work with and we came across well on the screen, we really did," she said.

Perdita
20-01-2009, 06:15
EX-EASTENDERS star Wendy Richard has vowed that she’s NOT dying – despite being diagnosed with terminal cancer.

The 65-year-old said: “I'm not dying. This illness won't beat me.”

Wendy, who played battleaxe Pauline Fowler in the BBC soap, was last year diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer that attacked her kidney and spread to the top of her spine and her left ribs.

But the actress, who lost her hair six weeks ago, said: “I'm certainly not thinking about dying. Wendy Richard is going to be around a long time yet.”

Although she admitted her gruelling chemotherapy treatment leaves her exhausted and confines her to her home as she fears catching an infection.

She explained: “When you are on chemo your immune system is very low.

“So if I caught a cold it could be quite serious for someone in my position. I'd rather not take a risk.”

And she described her hair loss as “no big deal”, although she said it would be worst for a younger woman, like Jade Goody.

Wendy added: "My message to Jade and everyone else in my position is simple: Keep plugging away, keep positive and look to the future."