PDA

View Full Version : EastEnders Ramadan scene defended

Perdita
02-10-2008, 17:30
The BBC has defended an EastEnders scene in which a Muslim character broke his Ramadan fast.

Masood Ahmed, played by Nitin Ganatra, was seen eating by Ian and Jane Beale during the day, which is prohibited during the holy month.

The scene broadcast in September on BBC One, prompted 107 people to complain.

The BBC said the scene was supposed to show Massod's "fallibilities" and did not "represent the entire British-Asian or British Muslim experience".

"Although Masood is a practising Muslim, he has his own fallibilities as a human being," it said in a statement.

"He's a fictional character with flaws who realises he has let himself down in a moment of weakness.

"We would like to assure viewers it was not our intention to insult Muslim or Islamic values."

Last month the BBC received more than 200 complaints about a character's relationship with his 15-year-old stepdaughter.

Despite its controversial storylines, EastEnders scooped the best soap award at Monday's Inside Soap awards.

There must be quite a few saddos around who have nothing better to do than whinge and complain - I certainly did not think that all Muslims do not adhere to Ramadan and eat during the day - I knew it was Masood giving in to a moment of weakness.

StarsOfCCTV
02-10-2008, 17:54
The scene broadcast in September on BBC One, prompted 107 people to complain. Oh for goodness sake :lol:

Bad Wolf
02-10-2008, 17:56
most of my muslim friends are totally un-strict

Katy
02-10-2008, 18:50
Some people have too much time on there hands!

di marco
02-10-2008, 20:08
this is getting really stupid now! people must just watch ee to see what they can complain about! :rolleyes:

parkerman
03-10-2008, 10:52
I used to have a Muslim friend who was always "cheating" during Ramadan.

Oooops...will this Forum now get hundreds of complaints?

Bad Wolf
03-10-2008, 14:48
my friends are the same - they definately do not adhere to the no alcohol thing!

CrazyLea
03-10-2008, 16:57
My friend cheated. She said it's really hard spesh in college when we're all eating around her.
I bet it wasn't even Muslims that complained, who you'd think should if anyone should.

Siobhan
03-10-2008, 17:03
I used to have a Muslim friend who was always "cheating" during Ramadan.

Oooops...will this Forum now get hundreds of complaints?

I have 2 muslim friends here.. One is very strict and follows Ramadan, the other doesn't bother and her Irish husband knows the koran better than her.

Chloe O'brien
09-10-2008, 12:05
I have two friends who both married into muslin families and they both fast during ramadan but their husbands don't.

Bad Wolf
09-10-2008, 19:53
now people are complaining at the gay kiss!!

it will be a national sport next - east enders complaining!!

Chloe O'brien
18-10-2008, 00:00
All I can say is thank goodness I don't work for the complaints department as I wouldn't last a week in the job. We all know in weeks in advance what is going happen in soaps, most of us have a good idea what is coming up at Christmas. So why do people sit and watch when they know they are going to be offened or upset. They have another 500 channels to watch turn over for goodness sake and get a life.