PDA

View Full Version : 'Enders Theme Tops Familiarity Poll

di marco
26-09-2008, 08:36
The theme of BBC soap EastEnders is more recognisable than the UK national anthem, according to a recent poll conducted by the Performing Rights Society.

Of those who took part in the survey, 37% admitted that they were more familiar with the Walford-based soap's notorious drum beats than with 'God Save The Queen', which polled 36%.

The theme to BBC One's football highlights programme Match Of The Day scored 14% of the vote, while Manchester soap Coronation Street received 12%.

Simon May, who composed the EastEnders theme along with Leslie Osborne, told the Daily Telegraph: "When EastEnders first appeared in 1985 it was such a great buzz walking down the street or being in a supermarket hearing people whistling or humming the theme. I've been amazingly lucky that thanks to the huge success of the show the theme is still popular and in the national psyche."

PRS chairman Ellis Rich added: "There's no doubt that those few bars have helped to make EastEnders a top soap. Music is part of our daily lives and embedded within British culture.

"We are so lucky that composers and songwriters can create iconic music which we all remember and love."

alan45
26-09-2008, 10:21
Well that says it all about the state of Britain today when the tune of a 3rd rate soap is better known than the National Anthem. I bet if this question were asked in Ireland or America the results would be different. In those countries the folk would know the tune of their national anthem. Its called PRIDE. Something which is sadly lacking in Britain today.

Siobhan
26-09-2008, 10:23
Dont count on it Alan. in the Early ninties before Mary Robinson became President only 5% of Ireland could say who the president was. Most people picked Jack Charlton......

alan45
26-09-2008, 11:12
Dont count on it Alan. in the Early ninties before Mary Robinson became President only 5% of Ireland could say who the president was. Most people picked Jack Charlton......No Doubt but Im sure they could identify their National Anthem. They seem to be able to sing it in good voice at Croke Park

Siobhan
26-09-2008, 11:33
Dont count on it Alan. in the Early ninties before Mary Robinson became President only 5% of Ireland could say who the president was. Most people picked Jack Charlton......No Doubt but Im sure they could identify their National Anthem. They seem to be able to sing it in good voice at Croke Park

Damn right we can. We had to sing it at the Belgium GP once. if we can be heard at one of those event, we can be heard anywhere! :cheer::cheer:

Abbie
26-09-2008, 17:29
I feel bad cos I only know a bit of the national anthem :o

di marco
26-09-2008, 18:16
i know quite a bit of the national anthem but only cos of footie lol! in america they sing it all the time but over here you dont really hear it

StarsOfCCTV
26-09-2008, 20:36
The drunk people a few doors down seem to know the national anthem pretty well :lol:

alan45
26-09-2008, 22:42
This really is a sad reflection of how Britain is today. When I was young it was taught in schools or if you were in the scouts you had to know it.

I also know the Irish National Anthem (though not in Gaelic) the American National Anthem as well as Flower of Scotland and Land of my Fathers

Siobhan
29-09-2008, 10:10
i know quite a bit of the national anthem but only cos of footie lol! in america they sing it all the time but over here you dont really hear it

Our national anthem is the last song sung in every pub that has music. it is how we know that we have finished.
We use to sing it everyday as school as a child, Only the gaelic version, never ever the english version.....