PDA

View Full Version : Coghill denies round-the-clock security

Perdita
22-09-2008, 13:13
EastEnders newcomer Chris Coghill has denied claims that he has 24-hour security outside his home due to his controversial role in the BBC show.

Various tabloid reports this week have suggested that the 33-year-old actor, who plays child abuser Tony King in the Walford-based soap, has round-the-clock protection in the event of any trouble.

Speaking exclusively to DS, Coghill said of the matter: "I really want to clear this up. A comment I made in an interview has been taken out of context and there have subsequently been a couple of stories this week that give the impression that I have 24-hour security and it's absolute nonsense.

"It's quite distressing for me and my family to read that in the papers. Nothing has changed for me - I'm still living the same life as before, I've just gone from being slightly recognisable to more recognisable."

He continued: "However, If there were any threats of any sort, the BBC have security in place. It's not just specific to me, though. The BBC take our safety and security very seriously.

"Only in extreme circumstances, if there were ever to be any, I know security is there."

The controversial EastEnders storyline, which features Tony abusing his step-daughter Whitney Dean (Shona McGarty), began in last Friday's episode. Since then, the BBC and broadcasting regulator Ofcom have received more than 200 complaints.

"I always knew this was going to be a big storyline and always knew that it was going to be controversial," Coghill continued. "At the end of the day, there have been just over 200 complaints out of millions of viewers and I'm not a mathematician, but that's not a very big percentage."

He added: "We obviously don't want complaints but we are getting lots of positive feedback about the storyline, too. In the street I have only had a positive reaction to what we are doing and even if this helps just one child, it's definitely been worthwhile."