PDA

View Full Version : Shabnam to Leave due to no Storylines

di marco
08-09-2008, 09:25
EASTENDERS star Zahra Ahmadi has quit after producers refused to give her meaty storylines.
The beauty, who played Shabnam Masood, told bosses she wanted out after barely featuring in new scripts.

A soap source told us: “Zahra was really disappointed with the way scriptwriters used her character. You hardly ever saw her on screen. If she had been given exciting scenes she would have stayed for a long time.

"Working on EastEnders is a dream come true for any aspiring star. But she began to feel she was wasting her time.”

The decision of Zahra to quit comes a month after the BBC1 soap was blasted by race equality chief Trevor Phillips.

He claimed EastEnders had so few ethnic characters it more accurately reflected the East London of the 1960s.

The Masood’s are the soap’s first Muslim family since the Karims, who moved out of Albert Square in 1990.

In July axed star Angela Wynter, who played Yolande Trueman, accused the soap of “operating a quota system” on the number of ethnic characters after her scenes dwindled ahead of her exit.

EastEnders denied her claim and yesterday execs insisted strong storylines are coming up for the Masoods.

Zahra, 28, is now looking at new roles — but hinted at a return to Albert Square.

She said: “I’ve made the tough decision to leave as I'm still young and I want to try other roles. But I’m really happy the door has been left open for me to return as it has been a great experience.”

Abigail
08-09-2008, 10:33
I'm sure The Bill will have her.

StarsOfCCTV
08-09-2008, 11:03
:lol: It is true though, maybe I'd have liked her character if she'd actually done something....

tammyy2j
08-09-2008, 11:27
I thought she was getting an abuse or self harming story line?

sindydoll
08-09-2008, 12:16
no way! i like that family :crying:

di marco
08-09-2008, 12:33
I thought she was getting an abuse or self harming story line?

i dunno but apparently the family as a whole are getting a big storyline in the autumn:

A source this morning told DS: "Zahra's leaving slightly earlier than expected, but the rest of the Masoods are sticking around and they've got some big stuff coming up in the autumn."

GwennieS
08-09-2008, 19:05
that's a shame, I like her. But she has got a point, that family has got a lot more potential with storylines, eg the long lost son. Good luck to her.

Dr. Tangliss
09-09-2008, 10:01
I'm glad she's going!:cheer: I hope the rest of her family remain in the square however!

Abbie
09-09-2008, 20:43
I think its a shame, I mean we havent seen much of her, they just need a chance, the storylines they have had have been kept within their own family rather than public like everyone else

.:SpIcYsPy:.
10-09-2008, 15:57
It's a shame she quit actually because it would be quite interesting to see her when the whole missing brother storyline etc. comes to place. They really aren't making much use of the Masood's but ahh well, good luck to her!

Layne
10-09-2008, 18:53
Im sure if she was given a good storyline or a storyline at all - she would have been a good character :) Ah well.