PDA

View Full Version : Casualty - Where are they now?

StarsOfCCTV
27-07-2008, 20:31
A thread for any appearances of past Casualty actors in other TV shows/Films/Theatre anyone happens to know of :)

Christine Stephen-Daly (Lara) plays Samira Shahbandar in House of Saddam

House Of Saddam: a compelling drama for BBC Two, charting the rise and fall of a dictator, begins on Wednesday 30 July 2008 at 9.00pm

Christine Stephen-Daly says she was initially surprised to be approached for the role of Saddam Hussein's mistress and second wife.

"I was totally surprised because I couldn't understand why they were interested in a woman with blond hair and green eyes playing an Iraqi woman.

"I researched my character and found that she did have blond hair and green eyes so it all made sense!"

On playing a real person who is still alive, rather than a fictional character, Christine says: "You have to approach the character differently because there is a greater responsibility to stick to the facts. Not much is known about Samira but the fact that she's still alive and may see this one day made me hope that she'd approve."

Researching the person she was playing wasn't easy for Christine. "She was Saddam Hussein's second wife which in itself is controversial. Some say they weren't married legally and others say they were. I really did try to research her but there was very little information out there – we couldn't even find a photograph."

Christine gleaned information from the Iraqi advisors to the production who had spent time with Samira.

She says: "I spoke to advisors who said that she was incredibly enigmatic and that everyone loved her. She had a real joie de vivre.

"She would accompany Saddam to openings and events – their relationship wasn't a secret and she definitely appeared on his arm. She wasn't particularly liked by the family for obvious reasons.

"I discovered that Samira was a very ambitious woman and a real product of Saddam's Iraq. He was very much influenced by Western ideals and was very forward thinking – under his rule religion took a back seat which made life for women in Iraq much more liberal.

" She was younger than Saddam and looked up to him, and would have been wooed by his money and power. It's said that they really loved each other."

The shoot in Tunisia and working with an international cast was an amazing experience for Christine, despite the heat.

She says: "Some days it was 48 degrees but it was incredible – there were so many different cultures and temperaments involved.

"The accent, and looking the part, and being the only blond in the cast, was initially challenging. However, a lot of the actors were French so they were learning the accent as well.

"Once I saw there were others in the same situation as me learning I felt quite a bit better!"

Christine is celebrating after recently giving birth to her first child. She says: "I had a little girl and I'm blissfully happy!"

Abigail
27-07-2008, 21:50
I didn't know Christine has had a child. She was on UKTV Gold as Kristen Shaw in The Bill last week.

Clair Goose joins The Bill next week.

samantha nixon
27-07-2008, 21:56
I loved Christine in The Bill as Kristen they were one of the best set of storylines in my oppinion

I cant wait to see her in this, as shes not been in anything for ages well since the bill lol, but dont know if its gonna be my type of programme

StarsOfCCTV
29-07-2008, 22:24
Casualty star takes Sound Of Music lead.

Actor Simon MacCorkindale is to take over as Captain Von Trapp in The Sound Of Music next month.

The TV and stage star, 52, will perform opposite Summer Strallen, who plays Maria, in the show at the London Palladium.

MacCorkindale played Harry Harper in the BBC drama Casualty for six years, starred opposite Peter Ustinov in the 1978 Poirot film Death On The Nile and featured in the TV mini-series I, Claudius and Jesus Of Nazareth.

He has directed several theatre productions including The Dark Lady Of Sonnets at the National and Pygmalion at the Albery Theatre.

Strallen took over from Connie Fisher as Maria in March.

After Andrew Lloyd Webber cast her, she appeared in Channel 4 soap Hollyoaks as Summer Shaw, who is similarly "discovered" by Lord Lloyd Webber. The production also stars Margaret Preece as Mother Abbess and Fiona Sinnott as the Baroness. Rebecca Lucie and Nadim Naaman will take over the roles of Liesl and Rolf on 25 August, when MacCorkindale starts his new role.

The Sound Of Music is booking until February next year.

Simon is expecting to do all dates between 25th August to 21st February (not to 28th). He will have 15 days off.