PDA

View Full Version : The Making of Me

DaVeyWaVey
24-07-2008, 17:54
First of a three part series on BBC1 - it starts tonight and it's on at 9pm. It's about well known stars exploring what makes them unique.

Tonight, it's John Barrowman exploring his sexuality and how he developed as a gay man.. looks interesting and I will certainly be tuning in. Anybody else going to give it a look?

StarsOfCCTV
24-07-2008, 18:13
Thanks for this, I'll tune in

DaVeyWaVey
24-07-2008, 23:21
I thought it was a really interesting programme. I've known that I've been gay since the age of 12 or 13... I thought some of the things on the programme didn't ring true for me though - for example, I never played with dolls when I was younger, so I felt that argument if boys play with dolls or go against their typical gender role when younger, was quite a narrow minded argument and doesn't make up someone's sexuality at all. My older brother played with dolls when he was younger and he is not gay - I felt the whole John Barrowman going over someone's house, and comparing two boys - one boy preferring guns and the other preferring dolls was all a bit silly, as was seeing the girl being a 'typical boy' then seeing her as a lesbian - it was all just stereotypical and pretty unrealistic - I think it was just a coincidence that she developed into a lesbian in the end.

Also the 'hand' theory was quite interesting, but again it doesn't ring true for me and I think it's a rather silly theory. The search for the gay gene really was very interesting and it's a shame they didn't find a gay gene as it would prove all those people wrong who think people choose to be gay or lesbian - that would have been proof that people are born with their sexuality.The 'older brother' theory was the most realistic I thought, especially with the evidence of the graphs - surely that can't have been coincidence?. I have one older brother.

The only thing I didn't understand was the man who claimed he was an 'ex gay' - I don't know, it didn't ring true to me. It seemed that he conformed to what the people around him believed to be right and it came across to me that he is hiding his real temptation to be sexually involved with a man - like he compared it with someone who likes chocolate but doesn't eat it as it's 'bad' - I thought this was quite a sad view - being gay isn't bad and it confirmed to me that he was just hiding his real desires and going along with what the people around him believed in.

I do think overall though, that being gay is down to nature and not nurture (the environment you grow up in) I think happenings in the womb is a solid and credible argument to make towards sexuality.

Overall it was a good programme (thought it was rather insensitive that he asked his mum about her miscarriage though and a bit silly he had to travel here there and everywhere to take part in each experiment).

And also was it just me or was John Barrowman's accent changing every so often during the programme? :confused:

Abbie
24-07-2008, 23:35
I watched and though it was very intereting

And yeah I noticed his accent changing, what I want to know is what hso accent sounds like without him trying to put one on, if that makes sense :p

Trinity
25-07-2008, 09:05
He was speaking with a Scottish accent to his Scottish parents - it is a common phenomenan. I know that my husbands accent changes when he speaks with his family - he becomes broad Ayrshire, rather than the educated Scottish accent he usually has.

What came out of this program for me was that:

1. There could be many factors involved in establishing someones sexuality.
2. It is likely that hormone influence in the womb is key.
3. Although there may be a genetic element it has not been proven.
4. Some gay people show a gender inconsistancy as young children.

The hand thing is one evidence of the hormonal environment in the womb.

The elder brother thing is evidence of antibodies in the womb.

Both of these seem to have an effect, and so it could one or the other or both in any individual case.

The genetic thing could be a suscepibility to the hormone and antibodies. That could explin why, even though John and his older brother have the same X chromosome only John had the raised antibodies that caused the gayness.

The fact is that all these theorys indicated that people are gay from birth.

The guy who was gay - and now isn't - made a choice based on his religion. He is living a lie as have many thousands before him to evade censure from his religious community and his 'God'.

If he was truely gay, then he is still gay, he is just denying it to himself.

Siobhan
25-07-2008, 10:07
I watched this last night and found it really interesting.. like you Davey.. I didn't buy that what you play with as a child makes you gay.. I played with a lot of boys toys and I was a typical tomboy but I love my men and I am not gay on any level.. I also didn't want this to be the deciding factor cause I don't think kids should be just given own gender toys..I encourage ben to play with whatever makes him happy and he has worn dresses cause his older sister does it.. If he is gay, then it is not cause of that.

It was interesting to know about the hormones in the womb and how older brothers can affect your sexuality..

Trinity
25-07-2008, 11:49
Me too - I was a total tomboy.

Layne
25-07-2008, 14:30
I tuned in, and i must say i found it really interesting. Sexuality is one of those things that i think everyone wants to know if you are born with it or if its the way you're brought up.

And as to the accent thing, As his parents are scottish John changes his accent when talking to them - or any other scottish people. It was to do with him moving to America and getting picking on for his scottish accent so he developed his american one, and this is the one he talks in most of the time - unless with scottish family/people :)

Debs
25-07-2008, 14:58
He was speaking with a Scottish accent to his Scottish parents - it is a common phenomenan. I know that my husbands accent changes when he speaks with his family - he becomes broad Ayrshire, rather than the educated Scottish accent he usually has.

my mums family are from west indies and she does the same, once she gets on phone to them or if they visit ,back comes her accent and she has lived in england since she about 14! ONce gone back to her english accent again

i didnt get to see this, i caught a bit of it when leaving mums. looked intersting though so will go see if its on i player

Bad Wolf
25-07-2008, 17:34
i saw it on i player, i thought it was really good

i was a bit wary at first, john barrowman is starting to grate - my initial thought was does he really need another show on tv????????

but after watching this, ive decided he is all right, i thought the bikini bit explained everrything!!!!!

how sweet were the 12 year old twins????? although you have to feel sorry for the one that liked barbie, and didnt label him gay out right, his teenage years will be tough

Abbie
25-07-2008, 18:06
And as to the accent thing, As his parents are scottish John changes his accent when talking to them - or any other scottish people. It was to do with him moving to America and getting picking on for his scottish accent so he developed his american one, and this is the one he talks in most of the time - unless with scottish family/people :)

Yeah I kinda got that part. Im quite curious though to which accent he speaks naturally though. Cos I have an accent but dont like in sunderland anymore so I can put on a different kind of accent but I get tired of having to put it on all time. If that makes sense, so my geordie-ish accent is my natural voice and accent, Im just curious to which is his :hmm:
Sorry for going off topic of Sexuality, Im just very curious about accents, since the for the past 4 years Ive been surounded about my clear different accent

Pinkbanana
25-07-2008, 21:21
The guy who was gay - and now isn't - made a choice based on his religion. He is living a lie as have many thousands before him to evade censure from his religious community and his 'God'.

I never watched the program, sadly I missed it. I do think some people are born gay, but I do also think some people choose it as a life style choice too.

The man who is no longer gay, he has choosen God over his sexuality, and if he feels that via a miracle etc... he is no longer gay, then I dont think its our place to judge him. Just like I wouldnt judge anyone on their life style choices.

Trinity
25-07-2008, 22:54

I never watched the program, sadly I missed it. I do think some people are born gay, but I do also think some people choose it as a life style choice too.

The man who is no longer gay, he has choosen God over his sexuality, and if he feels that via a miracle etc... he is no longer gay, then I dont think its our place to judge him. Just like I wouldnt judge anyone on their life style choices.

Many gay people would be offended to be told that their sexuality was a 'lifestyle choice'.

Choosing 'God' over sexuality is something that the church (in general terms) has encouraged over the past couple of thousand years. Nuns, priests, single and gay people have been encouraged to deny their natural feelings in order to live according to 'God's rules.

Many people suffer because of this unnatural state of affairs, not least the numerous children who have been abused over time by 'celibate' clergy.
But in other ways society has benefited in that this encouraged families and families are the building blocks of societies.

I personally don't understand the who-ha that surrounds the subject of sexuality. It isn't relevant in any work relationship or even friendship - the only person who should care less is the person themselves and anyone they have a sexual relationship with.

I don't worry about the sexuality of straight friend and colleagues so why should I worry about the sexuality of gay friends and colleagues?

I am obviously an atheist, and I don't believe in organised religion, however I do respect everyones right to a personal belief system.

I just think that it is such a shame that some gay Christian's have to deny a fundamental part of themselves in order to be accepted by their 'God'.

I don't consider this to be a miracle, more of a mirage.

JustJodi
26-07-2008, 09:55
Ok I watched it, and I thought it was really a really really interesting program,, I think John Barrowman is great, does any one recall the area Johns parents live in the midwest in the USA ???
I thought all those tests were interesting, I thought his face was price less when they said YOU ARE STRAIGHT,, LOL All those tests were interesting too,,
I am with every one else I do not think the gender correct toys have any thing to do with their sexuality, I had a bunch of Tonka trucks, and me and my brother built stuff,, and I am pretty STRAIGHT,, :D So I would really disregard that ,, or at least I would not point my finger at that,,
It was interesting,, really !!!!!!!!!!!:)

Jojo
26-07-2008, 14:13
I recorded it and watched last night and this morning.

I found it so interesting! Although the bit about having older brothers....

I think it is so true though - you are born straight or gay and whichever you are - just enjoy life and live it to the full.

Next weeks looks interesting (although I wondered if they were again covering sexuality :lol: :o )