PDA

View Full Version : hormone test

Luna
22-07-2008, 17:30
My doc sent me for a hormone test last week called up today to get the results and they said the doc wants to see me about it and said they didnt want to tell me the results over the phone???

Ive booked an appointment but cant get one til next wednesday.

Anyone ever had this done before? Any idea what it could be?

Abbie
22-07-2008, 17:34
Is there any reason why you had to have the hormone test?

Luna
22-07-2008, 17:38
yeah sorry should have added that lol

about 3 months ago i started to get my period 2-3 times a month. they are sending me for a scan next month to rule out PCOS and said she wanted to test my hormone level to rule a few other things out didnt think to ask at the time what those other things where

Abbie
22-07-2008, 17:42
Well it sounds like maybe they would rather talk to you in person to explain things better, cos Hormones can be very complicated, I hated learning about them in Biology :p

Perdita
22-07-2008, 20:11
I don't know how old you are but could approaching/going through the change have something to do with this? That would be the usual hormone thing. Might just be about getting Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) that they want to discuss.

Luna
22-07-2008, 20:45
I don't know how old you are but could approaching/going through the change have something to do with this? That would be the usual hormone thing. Might just be about getting Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) that they want to discuss.

im only 25 but then again stranger things have happened ..... :hmm:

Debs
22-07-2008, 20:56

about 3 months ago i started to get my period 2-3 times a month. they are sending me for a scan next month to rule out PCOS and said she wanted to test my hormone level to rule a few other things out didnt think to ask at the time what those other things where

Luna, i had to have a hormone test when my periods went awol for a few months id been having them every other week up until that time. She sent for a hormone test for pcos and it came back that i had it which explained at the time the irregular periods etc

My doc called me in to discuss it with me so that could e why she has called you in as i had a few options eg could go on pill, discuss diet etc
Just easier to be there discussing stuff instead of over phone

Hope everything goes ok xx

Luna
22-07-2008, 21:12

Luna, i had to have a hormone test when my periods went awol for a few months id been having them every other week up until that time. She sent for a hormone test for pcos and it came back that i had it which explained at the time the irregular periods etc

My doc called me in to discuss it with me so that could e why she has called you in as i had a few options eg could go on pill, discuss diet etc
Just easier to be there discussing stuff instead of over phone

Hope everything goes ok xx

thanks debs xxx

just wish i didnt have to wait until next week ive got an over active imagination and the week wait isnt helping lol

Debs
22-07-2008, 22:36
same with me hun, even though you know it probably isnt anything bad you stillsit and think think think!!

let us know how you get on xx

Luna
30-07-2008, 21:16
well its PCOS!!!

It was Locum i saw who couldnt give me much information on it, when looking at my results she read something out with 8.1 abnormaly high and the said i have no idea what that is and laughed, i did manage to find out that my FSH is 10 which is apparently high.

Got a scan on monday to find out how bad it is and then have to wait a further 2 weeks for the results. Begining to wonder if i should go private dont think i can put up with this for another 2-3 weeks.

Debs
30-07-2008, 21:43
2 weeks for results of scan , cor i thought our docs was slow!!

i have pcos, for me i have very heavy irregular periods, some montsh i go 32 others i got 50 days before she arrives! i gain weight easily and find it very very hard to lose without help. im on and off spotty and for me it was hard to conceive! took us 5 years to get pregnant!

i was put on metformin and that helped my cycle become regular and lighter and it also helped my weight loss and keep me from putting on constantly. so for your cycle alone may be worthing asking about that???/

i had a few docs who didnt want to know but found a lovely female doc who said yeah give it a go!

hope your scan goes well on monday, need anything else answered give mea shout, i may be able to help xxx

Chloe O'brien
30-07-2008, 22:35
Crap Luna having to wait two weeks but that's the NHS for you. Let us know how you get on on Monday.

Luna
31-07-2008, 11:51
thanks debs and kath.

why cant they just tell you the results while your having the scan done?

im going to ask about that metformin. The weight thing actually makes alot of sence ive been on a diet for about 5 months and only lost 8lbs im not really sporty but i suppose i'll have to start with what the doc said yesterday.

Trinity
31-07-2008, 12:46
Ask the radiographer when you get the scan done. Ask constant questions and hopefully she/he will be sympathetic and answer them.

Whe I was diagnosed with fibroids a couple of years ago the woman who did the scan told me yest I had them, how many and how big - but just in response to questions.

I then had to wait a couple of weeks to see the G.P. and it was going to be 9 months to see the gynacologist. (If you do need to see a hospital consultant I would definitely phone and check how long the waiting list is - and also say that you are prepared to go at short notice/accept cancellations etc).

After a couple of weeks I asked my G.P to refer me privately, I saw the consultant privately and then went back on to the NHS list for a hysterectomy. I saw the consultant within 10 days, and he was the same guy who did the operation on the NHS - with 2 months.

It cost £110 for the private consultation - and it saved my upward of 6 months in the NHS queue.

Best of luck Luna and try not to worry, it must be reassuring to speak with Debs. I know that speaking with Jodi was a great help to me.

Ruffed_lemur
31-07-2008, 16:43
well its PCOS!!!

It was Locum i saw who couldnt give me much information on it, when looking at my results she read something out with 8.1 abnormaly high and the said i have no idea what that is and laughed, i did manage to find out that my FSH is 10 which is apparently high.

Got a scan on monday to find out how bad it is and then have to wait a further 2 weeks for the results. Begining to wonder if i should go private dont think i can put up with this for another 2-3 weeks.

I'm like you, it's difficult waiting isn't it? If the money's not an issue and you'll get the results quicker, I'd maybe go private.

Hope it all goes well for you. Good luck! :)

Debs
31-07-2008, 18:11
The metformin is brill, at first there are a few side effects ( like being in the loo a lot, and im not talking wee!!) but they do settle down after a while. For me certain food would not react well with it but i soon learnt what to avoid!

i found i only really lost weight properly when on the metformin and is something i will definately start taking again once this pregnancy is over with!

Luna
13-08-2008, 21:26
got the results of the scan today and they basically just said the same that it was pcos. Got put straight onto metformin, thought i was going to be in for a fight with some of the stories id heard, so just waiting for the lovely side affects to kick in lol

Debs
13-08-2008, 23:25
lol and they do kick in, suddenly too but all worth it in end, took a couple of month for me to start eeing a difference! have you got to start with one tablet a week then up to 2 then to 3???

Abbie
14-08-2008, 02:09
Can I ask, what is pcos?

Abigail
14-08-2008, 11:18
Polycystic ovary syndrome (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/womenshealth/facts/pcos.htm)

Luna
14-08-2008, 13:21
lol and they do kick in, suddenly too but all worth it in end, took a couple of month for me to start eeing a difference! have you got to start with one tablet a week then up to 2 then to 3???

how long was if before you started to have the side effects?

Yup 1 a day for the first week and then 2 a day for the next two weeks then ive to go back and see her just to check how its going and she'll up them.
(they taste horrible)

Debs
14-08-2008, 16:30
oh god they do!! make sure you take with plenty of water, i made mistake once of just taking a sip and it got stuck it throat! the taste didnt go for ages!!

on one a day the side effects kinda came after a couple fo days, once i hit 2 a day then it was a couple of hours! although you may be one of the lucky ones who dont get any. eventually it does ease though!

and watch out for pastry!!!! i had a sauage roll and boy oh boy i wish i hadnt lol!

Luna
14-08-2008, 16:51
oh god they do!! make sure you take with plenty of water, i made mistake once of just taking a sip and it got stuck it throat! the taste didnt go for ages!!

on one a day the side effects kinda came after a couple fo days, once i hit 2 a day then it was a couple of hours! although you may be one of the lucky ones who dont get any. eventually it does ease though!

and watch out for pastry!!!! i had a sauage roll and boy oh boy i wish i hadnt lol!

Oh god i love pastry!!!! i didnt know if it was just in my head or not but im struggling to eat things only had about 2 bites out my dinner last night and couldnt face anything else.

Anything else i need to watch out for?

Sorry for all these questions and thanks for your help

Debs
14-08-2008, 20:09
ask away hun!

it may have just been me it didnt agree with but yeah pastry was not good for me!
yep i had the loss of appetite for a while, which in a way was good for me!!

i had headaches when i upped it to 2 then again when i upped to 3 a day

but upset stomach was the main thing i had, some say to take it afetr food but i didnt find that helped at all for me

Luna
18-08-2008, 19:12
started the double dose today feeling ok no horrible side effects yet apart from loads of spots (which is a blessing considering what it could have been)

I hate having spots ive even got one in my ear, so sore :angry:

Abigail
18-08-2008, 19:25
I had a spot in my ear a few years ago and it turned into an abcess. It hurt like hell.

How long will it be until you see/feel a change?

Debs
18-08-2008, 21:18
started the double dose today feeling ok no horrible side effects yet apart from loads of spots (which is a blessing considering what it could have been)

I hate having spots ive even got one in my ear, so sore :angry:

i remember having a lot of spots too!

ouch to one in ear ive had one before and it is really painful!!

good that your not getting otyer side effects :cheer:

Luna
18-08-2008, 22:13
I had a spot in my ear a few years ago and it turned into an abcess. It hurt like hell.

a good few weeks yet. Not back to the docs until the 4th sept and then they'll up the dosage again!!!!

I have lost 4lbs thought woo hoo!!!!

Debs
18-08-2008, 23:38

a good few weeks yet. Not back to the docs until the 4th sept and then they'll up the dosage again!!!!

I have lost 4lbs thought woo hoo!!!!

well done!! i cant wait to get back on my met! once ive popped this baby out ill be on them again quick smart

Chloe O'brien
23-08-2008, 01:19
Brilliant results Leeza no bad body functions. You go girl!!!!!!!!!!

Luna
12-09-2008, 10:52
Thought id give a wee update

Still taking the pills only on 2 a day as i had a weird reaction.

I have used Nair instead of shaving for over a year now since taking these pills whenever i use nair my legs feel like they are on fire for days and so itchy.

Asked the doc and she seems to think they are connected so wants me to stay on the 2 a day just incase theres anything else i take a reaction too. Weird thig to have a reaction to though don you think? But the doc was convince it was something to do with the pills.

Also when i went to see her last week she went back over my results and said it was a shame that the results came back saying i had pco and not pcos???? Whats the difference???? I wasnt too well that day so couldnt be bothered to ask. Anyone know??

Abigail
12-09-2008, 20:17
Poly cycstic ovaries are just cysts on the ovaries. Syndrome means a collection of symptoms, in this case excessive hair, irregular, heavy periods etc as well as the cysts.

So basically, one has physical, noticable effects and the other doesn't.

I think...