PDA

View Full Version : EastEnders most complained about BBC show

di marco
10-07-2008, 19:26
EastEnders attracted more complaints than any other BBC show in the last 12 months.

The soap was the subject of 5,500 complaints, more than twice that of any other BBC programme, according to the broadcaster's annual report.

In total, 124,000 unsolicited complaints were made to the BBC regarding its programming.

One controversial 'Enders storyline, which saw Tanya Branning drug husband Max and bury him alive, prompted 116 complaints to media watchdog Ofcom. The BBC received a further 600 objections.

Ofcom said at the time: "Taken as a whole, the scenes of the burial alive shown in both episodes had a seriously disturbing element to them.

"Overall, the storyline and its treatment had more in common with a dark psychological thriller than a pre-watershed drama."

Abbie
10-07-2008, 21:51
To be honest, I havent got a clue what these people are on about who are complaining

Perdita
11-07-2008, 08:12
I can never quite comprehend anybody complaining about soaps, the storylines are always well known because of the front pages of tv magazines and especially soap magazines or in trailers which start weeks before the episode is aired. Must have very boring lives and nothing better to do imo. :moonie:

di marco
11-07-2008, 08:13
To be honest, I havent got a clue what these people are on about who are complaining

me neither, some people obviously have nothing better to do than complain! its only a tv show!

di marco
11-07-2008, 08:15
I can never quite comprehend anybody complaining about soaps, the storylines are always well known because of the front pages of tv magazines and especially soap magazines or in trailers which start weeks before the episode is aired. Must have very boring lives and nothing better to do imo. :moonie:

exactly! and its an adult programme, its not like theyre doing all this stuff on a kids programme (which i could then understand parents complaining about!). if you think its not suitable for your kids then dont let them watch it as its not meant for kids anyway, and if you dont like it then as an adult youre old enough to make the decision to switch off!

Jojo
11-07-2008, 11:04
And the other thing is - when you compare the number of people complaining to the number of people that are watching the shows, it is a teeny tiny proportion of people (minute one in fact). A waste of a lot of people's time tbh. People are warned well in advance about these storylines coming up, and even if you don't see online, you can't fail to see the magazine covers in the supermarket with them plastered all over them.

alan45
11-07-2008, 11:21

exactly! and its an adult programme, its not like theyre doing all this stuff on a kids programme (which i could then understand parents complaining about!). if you think its not suitable for your kids then dont let them watch it as its not meant for kids anyway, and if you dont like it then as an adult youre old enough to make the decision to switch off!If its an ADULT programme then it shouldnt be shown at 7-30 in the evening or during the afternoon on a Sunday.

di marco
11-07-2008, 19:55

exactly! and its an adult programme, its not like theyre doing all this stuff on a kids programme (which i could then understand parents complaining about!). if you think its not suitable for your kids then dont let them watch it as its not meant for kids anyway, and if you dont like it then as an adult youre old enough to make the decision to switch off!If its an ADULT programme then it shouldnt be shown at 7-30 in the evening or during the afternoon on a Sunday.

id say it was an adult programme, i was never allowed to watch it as a kid, and imo most young children shouldnt be watching non childrens programmes ie programmes which arent specifically designed for kids. if it was the case that every programme before 9pm was made suitable for young children then no one would watch them and people would moan that there was too much kids rubbish on

alan45
12-07-2008, 01:14

id say it was an adult programme, i was never allowed to watch it as a kid, and imo most young children shouldnt be watching non childrens programmes ie programmes which arent specifically designed for kids. if it was the case that every programme before 9pm was made suitable for young children then no one would watch them and people would moan that there was too much kids rubbish onI take your point but when you look at the demographics for EE fans you can see it caters for a young audience

Chloe O'brien
12-07-2008, 01:20
If there is a lot of complaints about plots then the Beeb and the writers should be roasted over it for not checking storylines to begin with. There should be a limit on what is deemed suitable before 9pm for any programme and if parents allow their children to watch unsuitable programmes then so be it.

As for the busy-boddies who constantly complain about programmes it's already been said that we know what plots are coming up weeks in advance so if you don't like or agree with a plot don't watch it.

Abigail
12-07-2008, 01:32
I'm interested to know the demographic of the complainers. Are they OAPs who have nothing to look forward to except an episode of EastEnders to see what they can ring OFCOM to complain about? Or middle aged housewives who like to moan about things? :hmm:

If people are so offended by what they see on the box then there's the big red button at the top of the remote that they can press.

Hollie-x
13-07-2008, 10:38
Just checking my emails and saw this advertisement thingy underneath about this. It's crazy!
People see what's going to happen in mags and stuff so if you don't like it, don't watch it!!

God knows what's going to be said about the rape storyline coming up! (Didn't know whether I should have put this in spoilers but did just in case!

StarsOfCCTV
13-07-2008, 16:47
About what you said in the spoilers. Totally agree. Expect a huge fuss about that!

I think it's mad so many people complain. Move on, do something productive instead of ringing up the BBC :p

di marco
13-07-2008, 21:39
About what you said in the spoilers. Totally agree. Expect a huge fuss about that!

as soon as i read about that storyline (the one in the spoilertags) the first thing i thought of was i bet theres gonna be complaints about it

Abigail
13-07-2008, 22:28
Who is the storyline in the spoiler about? I haven't heard about it.

Any bets on the number of complaints OFCOM are going to get for this?

StarsOfCCTV
13-07-2008, 22:36
It is about Whitney getting raped by her stepdad Tony

The thread on it is here: http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=81829

My bet is 576. :p

di marco
13-07-2008, 22:37
Who is the storyline in the spoiler about? I haven't heard about it.

Any bets on the number of complaints OFCOM are going to get for this?

tony, biancas partner, comes out of prison and is sexually abusing whitney
theres a thread on it in the spoilers section

di marco
13-07-2008, 22:38
My bet is 576. :p

lol! my bet is 482! i hope though im surprised and that people dont phone up and complain about it, especially if its handled well