PDA

View Full Version : Lucy Speed (Stevie Moss, 'The Bill')

Perdita
08-07-2008, 06:06
In October last year, 31-year-old actress Lucy Speed - most notable for her role as Walford's Natalie Evans - became the latest in a long line of former EastEnders stars to sign up for a part in ITV cop drama The Bill. Next week viewers will see her character, DC Stevie Moss, have her first on-screen snog with Sergeant Dale Smith (Alex Walkinshaw). Digital Spy caught up with Lucy to chat about her character's kinky undercover sex, Ricky and Bianca's comeback to EastEnders and a possible return to Albert Square for Natalie.

Stevie gets her first hint of romance next week, doesn't she? What happens in the episode?
"The kiss with Smithy is the first time she's kissed him. They're both undercover and supposed to be boyfriend and girlfriend. Stevie's quite cheeky and flirty anyway. The kiss to Stevie is just a perk of being undercover. I don't think she puts any great feeling behind it, though."

Do you think she fancies Smithy or his undercover counterpart Lawrence?
"She doesn't even fancy Smithy, so it's definitely his undercover identity she fancies. Stevie's been doing undercover work for years and her back story is revealed quite soon. You'll see in future episodes that being undercover is a safe and comfortable place for her. The sex and relationships come to an end that way."

Do you ever see her with Smithy?
"I can see them carrying on some weird undercover romance. It's probably a bit kinky really, kind of odd. It makes sense really, though. If you're doing a tough job, there are vulnerable parts of your personality you protect and an emotional attachment is probably easier to handle if it's that kind of kinky undercover relationship."

Who's the better kisser, Shaun Williamson or Alex Walkinshaw?
"[Laughs] It's gone from between Ricky or Barry to this! Well, a girl never tells…"

I hear Claire Goose has started filming with the show now…
"She's fitted in nicely. When you're playing police officers, you slot into your rank. It's easy to find your 'place'. I know Claire from old and it's really nice to have her here."

What's on the horizon for Stevie?
"Stevie's back story is really great. You see how cool and capable she really is. We'll be getting lots more laughs and energy out of her and see exactly where she's come from."

You're the latest in a long line of EastEnders stars to appear in The Bill. What do you think it is that attracts people to the show?
"There's been a few of us, yeah. To be honest, I was attracted by the part. I've been acting for 25 years, so you just take the jobs as they come along. It just so happens that you're once in EastEnders. For it not to happen, more drama would have to be made so people didn't cross over!"

What do you think of EastEnders at the moment? Do you still watch it?
"With my work schedule, I haven't seen it much lately. I saw bits where Patsy [Palmer] and Sid [Owen] returned as Bianca and Ricky, but that's about it."

What do you think of their return?
"I think it's great. It was a brilliant decision bringing them back. Sid epitomises EastEnders and Patsy's just fantastic."

How about Charlie Brooks?
"I speak to Charlie regularly and she's looking forward to going back. She's away filming something else at the moment, but she returns soon."

With quite a few old faces returning, would you ever consider going back?
"You never say never in this business. You have to go where the work is. I've heard great things about Diederick [Santer], but I'm here for the next couple of years at least."