PDA

View Full Version : June Brown unhappy with smoking ban

Perdita
17-06-2008, 19:50
EastEnders actress June Brown has said that the smoking ban is ruining her life.

Brown, who plays laundrette worker Dot Cotton, claimed she should be "allowed concessions" on smoking because of her age.

"I don't like doing interviews very much," the soap star told This Morning. "I don't like not being able to smoke.

"I keep saying I'm not going to go anywhere where I'm not allowed to smoke, then I find I've done it."

She added: "You can't go anywhere and smoke now - it's ruined my life. It's ruined the whole end of my life.

"At my age, I should be allowed concessions. I should be allowed to do as I please."

Brown received an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours list last week.

Kim
17-06-2008, 21:45
Hmm, I don't think she should be able to smoke where she likes, regardless of her age. OAP's are already getting perks such as free bus passes to go over the whole country, and she can't just expect to bend the law because of her age.

Pinkbanana
17-06-2008, 21:53
Well I'm pleased with the smoking ban...not having to breathe in second hand smoke is great! :D She isn't above the law, and I don't think she should get any special treatment. Crumbs, can you imagine trying to police the smoking ban, if certain groups of people were exempt??? lol

Abigail
17-06-2008, 22:53
You can't run two systems just because June Brown thinks she should be excused from the ban.

Why doesn't she just quit instead of moaning about how hard her life has become because she can't have a fag and make other people breathe in second hand smoke?

Perdita
18-06-2008, 06:17
At her age, if she has been smoking a long time, which I think she has, it would probably do her health more harm to stop now rather than to continue. My friend's mum tried to stop when she was in her 70s and got quite ill with the stress, she started smoking again and her stress symptons disappeared over night. As en ex smoker myself I appreciate how difficult it is not being able to indulge when you fancy a ciggie but love the smoke free zones now. :thumbsup:

Siobhan
18-06-2008, 09:06
I am a smoker and we have had ban over here in ireland for year and it is the best thing that has happened... pubs and clubs are much better, you are not choking all the time or worried about some drunk bumping into you with a cigarette in their hand.... also you get to meet lots of new people when you are all outside having a smoke

Katy
18-06-2008, 09:37
It is a really good thing that has come in place and i always knew it would work as we went to Ireland loads when i was in place there first and if it can work there then it could work here.

I can understand where she is coming from but there shouldbnt be a separate law for older people. The policing would be crazy.