PDA

View Full Version : EXCLUSIVE: Oliver Kent (Series Producer, 'Casualty')

Perdita
17-06-2008, 06:33
Oliver Kent originally worked on Casualty between 1998 and 2001, working his way up from researcher to script editor. He ultimately became series producer in January 2007 and has since created a hoard of new characters, most notably interns Ruth Winters (Georgia Taylor) and Toby De Siva (Matthew Needham). His key storylines to date have included Ruth's attempted suicide, Adam and Jessica's love story and the animal rights attack on the hospital. Here, Oliver chats to DS about what viewers can expect from the next couple of months on Casualty.

Casualty's renowned for its guest artists - what notable faces do you have coming up in the next few months?
"The most notable face is Michael French, who joins in the new series, which starts in September. Michael will be reprising his role of Nick Jones, which he played in Holby City. Paul Fox has just joined and will be with us until the end of the series, Paul is known for his roles in Corrie and The Royal. We’ve had some great guest names so far this series, from Gaynor Faye, Michael Brandon and Kate Buffery, through to Mark Little, Bill Treacher, Danny Webb and Cherie Lunghi, who will be returning at the end of the series."

Are there any plans to bring Josh back at all?
"Not at the moment, but who knows? Josh was a really key character for Casualty."

Do you ever worry about the day when Casualty legend Derek Thompson says he wants to leave?
Casualty wouldn’t be the same without Charlie - that would be tragic.

Which are your favourite upcoming episodes?
"My favourite episodes over the next few months are the two-parter at the end of the current series, which are broadcast in early August. We'll see Maggie fighting for her professional life on the stand in the Coroners' Court. A patient has died in her care, and Simon and Marilyn are keen to see Maggie take the blame for his death. Zoe has been blackmailed by Marilyn and is expected to lie on the stand. Charlie is desperate to save the reputation of the woman he loves, and to finally admit how he feels about her. But I'm not going to tell you the outcome - you'll have to watch!"

Maggie / Charlie
"The pressure is mounting on Maggie following the death of a patient in her care. Simon Tanner, played by Paul Fox, is instrumental in Maggie’s dire predicament and the series ends with a big show down. Charlie is Maggie’s rock following the death of the patient and the consequences that follow. His admiration for her knows no bounds and he will defend her to the very end and in so doing prove his affection is more than merely professional."

Zoe
"The pressure also mounts on Zoe. Will she keep her closely guarded secret about her relationship with Sean safe from Jessica? She also holds the key to Maggie’s situation, but is being compelled by Marilyn to make a choice - which path will she choose, will she do the right thing by Maggie, or focus on her own career?"

Jessica / Adam
"As Jessica and Adam draw ever closer, Jessica feels she trusts Adam enough to let him meet her children, but then tragedy strikes and they end up further apart than ever. Will they be able to bridge the gap between them?"

Ruth / Toby
"Having started at the same time, our two junior doctors are now much wiser and more experienced, but still have a lot to learn. Ruth used to look down on Toby and was streets ahead of him, but her depression and the events that followed put Toby in front. It’s been difficult for Ruth to adjust to, but she has had to try and get herself back on track. The tables now turn though, as Toby makes a vital orthopaedic mistake, and has to ask Ruth for help."

The paramedics
"We'll be seeing a lot more o our action heroes, the paramedics, over the next few months. We discover the truth about Snezana, and her closely guarded secrets. Jeff faces a huge dilemma over whether to report her to the authorities. In the new series we'll also be spending a lot of time with Dixie and Jeff as they deal with the aftermath of a very serious accident which Dixie is blamed for. None of the team can connect with Dixie, as they try to reassure her that it wasn’t her fault. Their concern mounts as her isolation increases."

Michael French
"I'm really excited that Michael French will be joining us. He's a fantastic actor and Nick Jordan is an iconic character. Nick Jordan will put a few noses out of joint, most notably Adam's. Adam knows Nick Jordan's reputation of old, and finds it hard to believe that Nick is a good guy. Nick Jordan causes ripples wherever he goes, and it's great that he'll be causing ripples in Holby City's Emergency Department."

And also on the cards...
"The new series starts in September with an exciting double episode. Tess ends up in mortal danger following a racist attack and ends up fighting for her life. The paramedics also struggle, as Dixie causes a fatal accident and won’t forgive herself. Jeff tries to help, but little do they know that Dixie’s action will precipitate a violent and dangerous vendetta."

StarsOfCCTV
17-06-2008, 17:56
Oooh these sound really good, Less politics more action :cheer:

I like how they're bring characters like Tess and Dixie and Maggie that haven't had big storylines for aages.

I can't believe Marylin blackmailing Zoe and wanting Maggie to take the fall rather than Simon. :angry: That women is as annoying as Faye! :lol:

About time Dixie got a storyline :D We haven't seen much of the paramedics in action recently! Can't wait to find out what Snezana's been up to!

Abigail
17-06-2008, 23:00
Paul Fox has just joined and will be with us until the end of the series

I'm pleased he's not permanent. Maybe his departure will be something to do with Maggie's trial.

Zoe
"The pressure also mounts on Zoe. Will she keep her closely guarded secret about her relationship with Sean safe from Jessica? She also holds the key to Maggie’s situation, but is being compelled by Marilyn to make a choice - which path will she choose, will she do the right thing by Maggie, or focus on her own career?"

I heard a rumour on another forum that Zoe is leaving so maybe she tells the truth and decides to leave or gets fired.

We discover the truth about Snezana, and her closely guarded secrets. Jeff faces a huge dilemma over whether to report her to the authorities.

Maybe she's illegal or under a false identity.

TaintedLove
21-06-2008, 08:46
I`m wondering if she is stealing medical supplies to treat illegal aliens.
A month or so ago, someones stethoscope went missing (Tobys I think), and I can`t help but wonder if Snezana stole it to use for an immigrant patient.