PDA

View Full Version : Sick Walford star worries over finances

Perdita
18-05-2008, 20:07
EastEnders star John Bardon is struggling to make ends meet after being out of work for eleven months.

The actor, known for his role as Jim Branning on the BBC One soap, is still recuperating at home and attending frequent physiotherapy sessions after suffering a stroke in June last year.

"People think the BBC pay you when you're not working due to ill health, but that's not so," John's wife Enda told The People. "Actors only get paid for the work they do. There is no animosity between us and the BBC because they don't owe John anything. But there is not much money coming in."

She added: "Thankfully, medical insurance has paid for his physiotherapy twice a week. We are not destitute but if you haven't got money coming in, one day there could be nothing."

Bardon is hoping to return to the soap next month to appear in a one-off episode alongside June Brown, who plays his on-screen wife Dot. He may then make monthly appearances to prepare him for a permanent comeback.

"John's speech comes out as gobbledygook," Enda said. "But he can swear! June Brown stays here. She has been wonderful. I hope being with his colleagues will get more out of him."

Are they not entitled to a pension? This is awful, having to get better and also worrying about paying bills.

sindydoll
18-05-2008, 20:31
i was reading this article on ds before and i dont believe a word of it

Abbie
18-05-2008, 20:32
Thats really sad, if they struggle for medical bills

Abigail
18-05-2008, 21:25
If John is still employed by the BBC and on sick then he won't be entitled to a state pension. He could maybe claim incapacity benefit and possibly Disability Living Allowance. DLA isn't much though, my sister claims it and she gets the highest level which is £200 a fortnight.

Pinkbanana
18-05-2008, 21:40
He's knocking on a bit and you would think at his time of life that he would have some savings put by. As even without this stroke, he would not have been going on acting forever...

Chloe O'brien
19-05-2008, 00:28
If John was doing a normal 35 hour week job it would be highly unlikely he would be able to return to full-time employment after he suffered a stroke giving his age. So how on earth is he going to cope with the working schedule of EE where some days they have to work a 14 hour day. He is not ready to return I doubt he will ever be. I know it must be difficult without a steady income after being ill for so long, but his health is more important than how much money he is loosing not working.

sindydoll
19-05-2008, 07:31
he would be worried sick of his finances if he had mine :lol: i tell you they dont know what their talking about

Phoenix27
19-05-2008, 09:20
while I have genuine sympathy for him being so ill, i can't honestly believe that he doesn't have sufficient money put by at his age. I mean if he was new to acting, then fair does, but surely he would have insurance cover by now. Just my opinion though :hmm:

moonstorm
19-05-2008, 10:55
Does anyone get the feeling this is a publicity stunt as he is coming back soon? Sorry to be so cynical but really I would like to see him manage on my salary, with three kids!!