PDA

View Full Version : Brenda Walker (Lesley Dunlop)

lizann
23-04-2008, 13:57
Lesley Dunlop is joining the show as Genesis Dingle's adoptive mum

from Emmerdale Press Office and Inside Soap.

alan45
19-02-2013, 00:32

alan45
19-02-2013, 00:32
Emmerdale kicks off a major new storyline for Brenda Walker in the coming weeks as she is diagnosed with a brain tumour.

Life seems to be looking up for Brenda early next week as she finally gets together with Bob Hope (Tony Audenshaw), but her happiness turns to fear when she starts to experience strange symptoms.

When Brenda is admitted to hospital after zoning out and suffering a seizure, the doctors warn that the situation could be serious. In early March, Brenda's worst fears are realised as tests confirm that she has a tumour…

Here, Lesley Dunlop - who plays Brenda - reveals more details of her emotional new plot.

How do Brenda and Bob first get together?
"Brenda is being a bit more gregarious and fun lately, so Bob suddenly realises that he likes her. He's been looking for someone and she's been there all along, as they work together at the café. Things progress from there, especially as Brenda's behaviour is very different to how it was before. Bob falls in love with her."

How long has Brenda liked Bob for?
"Well, her relationship with Terry was wonderful and she loved him, but she did have a crush on Bob when she first arrived in the village. However, when Gennie and Bob had a one-night stand, Brenda was absolutely furious about that and she has never thought of him in that way ever again.

"That romantic feeling has gone, until Bob starts showing her a bit more affection in the episodes coming up. It all happens very quickly!"

Things start to go wrong for Brenda next week when she is babysitting baby Molly for Gennie. What can you tell us about that?
"It starts off alright and everything's going well. Brenda is even being nice to Georgia. The two of them are swapping babysitting shifts, but suddenly everything goes black and Brenda just zones out. She has tea in her hand and it spills into Molly's cot.

"Georgia goes bananas. The tea doesn't actually scald the baby, but Georgia is furious and Gennie is too. This terrifies Brenda, and after that, she's very anxious about babysitting again."

How worried is Brenda about her health after that?
"She puts it down to menopause at first - that's what she thinks it is. But then she reads a medical dictionary and starts putting symptoms together. That's when she feels there's something more seriously wrong than menopause. She looks it up and sees that she could have a brain tumour.

"That's why Brenda is worried about babysitting Molly again - she's concerned that something like the tea incident will happen again. That's terrifying."

Later in the week, Brenda has a car accident, doesn't she?
"She does - it happens when she takes Molly swimming. Brenda doesn't want to because she's still worried, so she quite meekly tries to get out of it. But she can't think of a good excuse, and she doesn't want to reveal how poorly she might be, so she has to go ahead with it.

"Brenda zones out while she's driving in the village and hits the wall of the B&B. She has no recollection afterwards of what happened. Gennie is absolutely furious and says, 'If you've hurt my baby, I'll never forgive you' and takes the baby off to the hospital."

What happens next?
"Bob takes Brenda into the café and they're talking about what happened. Val was close to getting hurt in the accident, so she accuses Brenda of deliberately driving the car at her! She accuses Brenda of trying to kill her, and it sends Brenda over the edge.

"Brenda then has a seizure and starts fitting on the floor. Everyone thinks that Brenda has been drinking, because she has been known to like a tipple.

"When Brenda was behaving strangely at the Bronte night and kissing Dan recently, this is all part of the symptoms of the tumour, but people don't know that and they think she's drinking too much."

Brenda then gets taken to hospital…
"She does, but she still hopes it's the menopause. Brenda thinks she's going to be in for a quick check and then leave again, but the doctors say, 'No, there's more to this' and they want to do a biopsy. This sends Brenda into a complete panic. Gennie and Nikhil are there with the baby after the accident, and they're very concerned for Brenda."

How do things go from there?
"Brenda stays in hospital overnight, but the next day she runs away and goes back to the village. Nobody can find her, but Nikhil sees her in the village coming out of a taxi. He confronts her and he basically threatens her, because she's said, 'Please don't tell Bob any of this'.

"Brenda's relationship with Bob is so new, and she doesn't want him to know because he's only recently started liking her. She thinks his attraction to her is only because of the recent change in her behaviour, which is possibly to do with what's in her head. She swears Nikhil and Gennie to secrecy against their wishes. But Nikhil warns her, 'If you don't go back to the hospital, I'll tell Bob'."

Brenda eventually gets confirmation that she does have a brain tumour. How does she cope?
"She's terrified, but she still doesn't want Bob to know about any of it. To a degree, it's because she's in denial. But it's also because Bob and the children have already lost Viv. The babies have already lost one mother, and she doesn't want to put them through that again. She also fears that Bob won't love her if she goes back to being boring old dopey Brenda.

"I think Brenda's main reason for keeping quiet is not to hurt Bob and his family, which is really hard because she's fallen completely and madly in love with him. It's where she feels she should be, but then it goes pear-shaped. She does at one point try to tell Bob, but you'll have to wait and see how that goes."

ow did you react when you first heard about this storyline?
"Well, the first thing I asked was, 'Does she die?' I wanted to know if I'd be in a job or not!

"Like Brenda, I was a bit scared. It's such a huge undertaking and responsibility, so it has to be right. I think it's wrong to touch on anything like this if you're not actually going to be truthful, for the sake of people who've gone through this in real life. The story has to be real and believable."

Have you done any research?
"Yes, I've done quite a bit. I had to, as I didn't know anything about it. I didn't know how common it is. For the seizure scene, I just typed in, 'Video of people having a seizure'. I didn't know if anybody would have recorded that on video, but there's loads. That was really upsetting to watch, but essential. I had to know what seizures looked like and what happened in order to do that properly.

"I still don't know if I've done it right, but it was particularly difficult, I think. At least I now know what to do with somebody, or indeed myself, if they zone out.

"I'm absolutely thrilled to have been given this storyline. It's brilliant and I couldn't have wished for anything better to get my creative teeth into."

How does the story progress in the longer term?
"I'm not sure whether the chemo and radiotherapy will make Brenda's hair fall out. I'm yet to hear whether I'll have my head shaved or not.

"Brenda also has big decisions to make with her life and what's going to happen next. Everything is on hold if she has the operation, as she is offered an operation. She's having a dilemma about whether to have the op, and at the moment Brenda doesn't want to have it. We'll have to see what happens, but there's some very emotional times ahead for Brenda."

communitycare
19-02-2013, 11:31
poor brenda

lizann
19-02-2013, 13:36
not a fan of the character but the actress will do well with the storyline

Katy
20-02-2013, 11:34
Same Lizann, I not a fan of Brenda but I think Lesley Dunlop is great. I loved her in where the heart is. She is a good actress so it is about time she had a proper storyline,

tammyy2j
21-02-2013, 14:39
So she gets with Bob finally and then is sick

sarah c
21-02-2013, 15:11
makes you wonder...?

Bob starts to notice Brenda in a different light after she 'behaves differently' - standing up to Cain etc etc

which came first? is she behaving differently BECAUSE of the tumour?

alan45
05-03-2013, 01:22
Emmerdale's Bob Hope battles with his emotions over the next fortnight after Brenda Walker ends their relationship unexpectedly.

Brenda (Lesley Dunlop) makes the decision after being diagnosed with a brain tumour, not wanting Bob or his kids to get close to someone they could lose further down the line.

Bob has no idea that Brenda is seriously ill, but when Dan Spencer (Liam Fox) finds out what's going on and starts supporting her as a loyal friend, Bob gets the wrong idea…

Here, Tony Audenshaw - who plays Bob - reveals what's ahead as his character's jealousy spirals out of control.

How does Bob feel after Brenda ends their relationship?
"Bob is really confused, because she's been blowing hot and cold with him. One minute she's been all over him, the next she's really dismissive of him. He can't understand why she's treating him like this.

"Bob thinks it might just be hormones, but even so, it just doesn't seem right. He is in love with Brenda, and Dan says that he's convinced she still has feelings for him in return. So Bob is waiting for her to make a move on him again!"

Has Bob picked up on the fact that Brenda is behaving strangely?
"Bob knows that Brenda is acting really weird, but he's really wrapped up in the fact that he's in love with her, so he think it's something that he's done wrong. He thinks there's a problem with the relationship, rather than a problem with her.

"Bob knows that Brenda is not well, but she's convinced him that it's the menopause, so he thinks it's something hormonal. He certainly doesn't think there's anything seriously wrong."

When Bob pushes the matter, Brenda insists that it will never work between them. How does Bob react?
"Well, Bob is gutted because he thinks it will work! Brenda is behaving really weird and he's confused by that. It's really difficult for him, but he keeps saying that whatever it is, he'll stick by her.

"But Brenda says that she doesn't want him to be there for her, so he's really frustrated that she's turning him down. He thinks that she's messing him around."

How would Bob feel if he knew what was really going on?
"He would feel terrible. He'd be really upset that she couldn't confide in him. It's a lot to take on board. First of all, Bob has to find out that Brenda is ill. Then he has to find out that she doesn't want to do anything about it, as she's refusing to have surgery. It's a double shock, so he'd be upset by that.

"I think Bob would be most upset that Brenda didn't want him there supporting her through the decisions. That's the main factor - he wants to help, but he's been excluded from it."

Why does Bob get so jealous over Brenda and Dan?
"Bob gets an idea that all of a sudden Brenda finds Dan attractive. It makes sense, as she has kissed him before at the Bronte night. Bob also reckons that generally people start seeing those who are closest to them. He is convinced that there's something going on between Brenda and Dan, and he gets really jealous."

Bob's jealousy comes to a head at the pub, doesn't it?
"It does, as he's forced into playing a game of darts with Brenda and Dan. He feels uncomfortable in that situation and he's quite snipey with Brenda. He even asks Georgia whether she has a single friend she can introduce him to!

"Bob is acting like that because he's hurt. He thinks Dan and Brenda are flirting, you see. He's really mean, but it's the sort of thing blokes do when they're hurt. Brenda is horrible to him in return, telling him that she'll never love him."

What happens next?
"Bob is walking down the street and through the window of Brenda's house, he sees her hugging Dan. There's a jealous rage and he thinks, 'What are they doing? It's terrible'.

"The next day, because Bob lives with Dan, he knows that he hasn't come home, so he must have slept at Brenda's place as well. He then goes into work and he's nasty with Brenda because she wants to change shifts.

"Later, he comes back from the cash and carry, and he sees Dan and Brenda together again in the street, so he finally confronts them! He goes mad with them and he loses his rag. He pulls Dan off Brenda in the street."

Then Brenda and Dan realise they have to tell Bob the truth…
"Yeah, because he locks himself in the café, basically. He just throws everybody out and locks himself in there in a mad rage! Brenda's got keys so she goes in there with Dan, and they finally tell him what's wrong…"

We can't give away too much about what happens next, but will Bob support Brenda?
"Yeah. I think he'd definitely want to support her."

Might Brenda become Bob's next wife?
"Of course she might! I think they're a really good couple."

Are you enjoying working with Lesley on the storyline?
"Yeah, it's been brilliant. We've been working together for ages anyway, but it's been great doing all this. It's nice that it's not just a simple love story - it's quite complicated as well because of Brenda's condition.

"When we first saw the scripts of Bob and Brenda getting together, it all looked a bit rushed to me, and we were both a bit concerned about that. But when it played out, actually it does feel like it works and it does feel right.

"When you've been doing this for a while, you get a feeling about bad stories - it feels uncomfortable and you get a bit nauseous. But fortunately this hasn't been like that!

alan45
05-03-2013, 01:22
Brenda (Lesley Dunlop) has only been with Bob for a few days, but her perspective on the relationship has completely changed since hearing that she may be seriously ill.

After she leaves hospital and heads back home, Brenda's loved ones urge her to be honest with Bob (Tony Audenshaw) and accept his inevitable support.

However, when Brenda pays a visit to Bob at the café, she fails to tell him the truth and instead calls off their romance - declaring that she doesn't want him anymore. Stunned by her harsh words, how will Bob react?

http://i1.cdnds.net/13/08/618x416/soaps-emmerdale-6492-2.jpg
© ITV
Brenda hides the true extent of her heath scare

Emmerdale airs tonight at 7pm on ITV

Katy
05-03-2013, 08:30
Poor Bobs. One of soaps long suffering characters.

Perdita
07-03-2013, 16:23
'Emmerdale star Lesley Dunlop has revealed that she was "scared" of tackling her latest storyline.

The actress's character Brenda Walker is diagnosed with a brain tumour in tonight's (March 7) episode.

Speakingng to Inside Soap, Dunlop admitted that she was concerned about her responsibility in portraying the disease accurately.

She said: "The first thing I asked was, 'Does she die?' - I didn't know if I was still in a job or not.

"Like Brenda is, I was scared. A storyline like this is such a huge undertaking and huge responsibility, and it has to be done right," she added.

"I think it would be wrong to touch on anything like this if you're not going to be truthful. For the sake of people who've been through it, we have to make the plot real and believable."

Lesley revealed that despite her initial concerns, she is "thrilled" to be involved in the storyline and has done extensive research surrounding the illness.

"I've done quite a bit of research. I didn't realise how common this sort of thing is. I watched videos of people having seizures, which was upsetting but essential.

"I had to know what happens in order to do it properly. I still don't know if what I did was right.

"At least I know how to help somebody in that situation now. I'm thrilled to be doing this story. I couldn't have wishes for anything better."

Emmerdale airs Brenda's diagnosis tonight (March 7) at 7pm on ITV1.

Perdita
13-03-2013, 11:31
Emmerdale star Lesley Dunlop has revealed that Brenda's brain tumour brought back memories of her own mother's illness.

Brenda got diagnosed with a brain tumour last week but soon decides against treatment.

Speaking to The Mirror, Dunlop said: "I lost my mum, Marion, to leukaemia 14 years ago when she was just 68. She decided against treatment - just as Brenda does.

"Mum didn't want chemotherapy. She'd seen friends who'd had it die during it or shortly afterwards. She had a 35% chance of survival with chemo, which was difficult because it gave us hope that she would make it. Doing this story is bringing those memories back.

"Mum said she'd rather spend the year they said she might have with us, her children, than go through treatment. But she only had seven months in the end."

Dunlop admitted that because of her own experience with the illness, she understands the difficult situation that Brenda is facing.

"I know from my own experience that Brenda is in a difficult situation, the kind where each person has to decide what's right for them. You just don't know what you'd do until it happens.

"I've been where Gennie, Brenda's daughter, is going to be. I've been the one saying 'Mummy please, you're choosing to leave us and you're my mum'."

Dunlop revealed how she struggled with shooting the scenes where Brenda has a seizure.

"I've been looking on the internet, reading and speaking to crew members whose relatives have been affected," she said.

"When it came to shooting the scenes, we were doing it over and over. By the end, my head was thumping and I felt as though I was almost hyperventilating. Once we'd finished, I went to the dressing room and just cried.

"It's one of those storylines that has really made me think a lot about my own health and the choices we have to make."

Dunlop recently revealed she was scared about Brenda's brain tumour plot.

Perdita
09-04-2013, 05:20
Brenda Walker makes a brave decision next week as she finally agrees to have surgery to remove her brain tumour.

Brenda has recently shocked her loved ones by repeatedly refusing to go under the knife, but next Tuesday's episode (April 16) sees her share the news that she has changed her mind.

Viewers will see Brenda reach the decision after the symptoms of her tumour become much more intense, which leads to her passing out unconscious and being rushed to hospital.

When Brenda eventually comes round, she shocks everyone by announcing that she wants the surgery after all.

Lesley Dunlop, who plays Brenda, commented: "After Brenda passes out, she wakes up in hospital and is surrounded by her friends and family. She suddenly realises what she could have lost, and that makes her decide to have the operation.

"Her main misgiving has been that something will happen while she's under the knife and she may never see anybody again. She doesn't want to 'choose' the day she dies in that way - she'd rather prolong her life for as long as she can.

"But this collapse makes her realise that she could die tomorrow from the brain tumour, so the odds are better if she has the operation."

http://i2.cdnds.net/13/15/618x466/soaps-emmerdale-6528-1.jpg
© ITV
Brenda in hospital with her loved ones

The actress continued: "Brenda's daughter Gennie is very happy with the news, but she wants to know that it's genuinely Brenda's decision. She doesn't want it to be just because Gennie has begged her to have this operation. She's reassured when Brenda tells her that's not the case.

"The decision is genuinely from Brenda now. The fact that she actually blacked out rather than having a seizure made her realise that she doesn't want to die. It looked like now there were going to be no more warnings, and that her chances would be better going ahead with the operation.

"Bob is also thrilled - he's just so glad over this news. He can see that it's Brenda's decision and she hasn't been forced into it. I think he's quite nervous as well, but he just wants them to get on with their life together as a couple."

Although things are looking more positive for Brenda, she is well aware that there are no certainties when it comes to the operation.

Dunlop explained: "The neurosurgeon is very pleased, very positive and makes Brenda feel good about it. He also goes through exactly what will happen when she's under anaesthetic, and equally that's terrifying.

"The worst case scenario is that she could die under the knife. The next worst case is that she could have some sort of brain damage and complications could occur. The best case is that she lives a normal, happy life and makes a full recovery."

Perdita
10-04-2013, 11:09
Lesley Dunlop has had a positive response from viewers over her character's brain tumour plot.

The actress, who plays Brenda Walker in the soap, has revealed that people have praised her recent storyline for highlighting how common it can be.

Dunlop said: "There's been a lot of thanks from people to Emmerdale for doing this storyline in order to highlight that it's actually more common than we think, and there is information and charities out there who can help people in this situation.

"There's a lady who has written a book about her experiences through her brain tumour and her treatment, and she got in touch to thank Emmerdale for doing this storyline.

"I didn't realise how common this was and how much the people I work with have been through it. There's a cameraman whose mother had a brain tumour, and he was able to help me with the zoning out bits that I knew nothing about."

Walker also revealed that she has found filming some of the scenes involving Brenda's illness emotionally draining.

She commented: "As an actress, first and foremost, to get it right - to physically get it right for people who've been through this, I think it's important.

"It was very emotionally draining and it drew on a lot of experiences of my own, of loss and of illness.

"It was very draining to take home and it's hard to come in and out of that."

Emmerdale airs weeknights on ITV.

Perdita
07-06-2013, 15:48
Emmerdale actress Lesley Dunlop has had her head shaved for her character Brenda Walker's ongoing battle with a brain tumour.

Viewers will know that Brenda was diagnosed with a brain tumour in March. She initially refused treatment for the condition as she was scared it would change her personality and fail to save her life.

http://i2.cdnds.net/13/23/618x411/soaps-emmerdale-lesley-dunlop-head-shaved-1.jpg
© ITV
Lesley Dunlop has her head shaved.

However, after being persuaded by her family, Brenda agreed to have surgery.

Dunlop told The Sun: "I'm really proud of Brenda's storyline so far and although shaving my hair off was a big decision, I don't feel brave.

"I'm extremely fortunate not to be in the position of all those people who are living this life - they are the brave ones."

http://i1.cdnds.net/13/23/618x411/soaps-emmerdale-lesley-dunlop-head-shaved-2.jpg
© ITV
Lesley Dunlop after having her head shaved.

Emmerdale continues tonight (Friday 7) at 7pm on ITV.

Good on her!!

alan45
02-07-2013, 00:40
Emmerdale airs emotional scenes next week as Brenda Walker decides to have her head shaved.

Brenda makes the decision as she wants to take control now that her hair is gradually falling out due to the treatment she has been receiving for her brain tumour.

In real life, Lesley Dunlop - who plays Brenda - has shaved her head for the storyline.

Here, Lesley chats about losing her hair for the story and what's coming up for Brenda.

How does Brenda react when her hair starts to fall out?
"She's not feeling very good, really. Brenda has stopped staying at Bob's house so that he doesn't have to keep waking up and finding handfuls of hair on the pillow all the time. However, when it comes to the illness itself, she's feeling positive. She does get very tired and blue at times, but through all that she's gritting her teeth and getting on with it."

Why has Brenda decided to marry Bob?
"I think Brenda realises what she's got and how lucky she is. The next step would be marriage, so she's thinking of what little time she may have. She really wants to be married to Bob, even though he's had so many other wives!"

What can you tell us about the hand-fasting ceremony that Brenda considers?
"Well, it's rather disappointing for Brenda that she can't organise a surprise wedding for Bob. Both parties have to go off and sign a licence beforehand, so legally it wouldn't be possible. However, Gennie comes up with this idea.

"Hand-fasting is an old pagan ceremony and Brenda likes the idea. It means she can still be spontaneous, but it's still a way of making the relationship more permanent even though it's not legal. Spiritually they'd be man and wife, and it's also something that can be arranged quite quickly.

"I'm sure they'll go and legally get their licences at some point, but this is the bit that Brenda really wanted - the ceremony and the announcement of their love and partnership."

Is there a part of Brenda that's using the idea to take her mind off the treatment?
"I think Brenda is definitely planning this for the right reasons, but that's probably a factor too - having something positive they can enjoy while she's having treatment and feeling so much anxiety."

Do you think Brenda and Bob make a good romantic match?
"Yeah, I think they're both as bonkers as each other! They're a great couple and I definitely approve."

What prompts Brenda to shave her hair off?
"I think it's just that she prefers it to feeling ragged and unkempt. It's sad for Brenda when she sees the bald patches and it saves trying to hide it. She wants to shave the lot off, embrace it and take control back. Brenda feels great and she's so determined about it. It's another whim and she doesn't think long about it before she does it."

How does Gennie feel when Brenda asks her to help with the shaving?
"It's very difficult for Gennie, because she's not convinced that Brenda has thought about it enough and she's not sure how Brenda will react if she doesn't like it. I can speak from experience, you have no idea how you're going to feel being bald! Personally, I think it's great, but Brenda has a little wobble at first."
What were those scenes like to film with Sian Reese-Williams, who plays Gennie?
"Very emotional! We were obviously shaving off my hair as well, so it had to be one take. What we'd said would happen was that Sian would do the first two or three shaves with the clippers, then they'd cut the scene and we'd go into make-up to finish it off. But in the end they decided that Sian would keep going, so she did the lot. I imagine it was very nerve-wracking for her."

Why did you decide to have your head shaved in real life?
"I knew if we were going to do this storyline, we had to do it properly. I have a friend who has cancer who said to me, 'Oh you're shaving your head, that's so brave'. But I looked at her and thought, 'Well this isn't brave - I don't actually have cancer, I'm just shaving my head'.

"I felt that it was the least I could do for all the people who don't have a choice, really, and I felt absolutely fine about it. I did embrace it, actually."

How are you feeling about it now that a bit of time has passed?
"Oh, it's just so much easier! I've got so much more time available! I've spent so much time on my hair in the past few years, whether it's been getting ready for work, having to dry it and using straighteners. Now I just wash and go!

"Brenda does have some wigs in the storyline, but I do prefer going without them. It's been quite warm lately and I get a bit of a heat rash, which doesn't look very attractive when you take the wig off! I don't even think about it anymore, but I do jump when I walk past the mirror!

"I think every woman should do it once in their life, because it does feel liberating. I don't know why, probably because I've hidden behind my hair for so long. My face is out there now and maybe it's my age, that you don't worry so much about what people think of you. Everyone has been so complimentary as well."

In the story, Brenda worries that Bob could turn his back on her when he sees her new look. Do you think those fears are justified?
"I don't think he would do that. Brenda is just feeling anxious and frightened. It's relatively early on in their relationship and although he's promised to stand by her, you just don't know.

"When Bob does see Brenda, he's wonderful. He says that it's the person inside that he loves and it doesn't matter whether she has hair or not. Despite that, Brenda is still a little bit undecided on whether she's made the right decision to shave her head. She's wearing wigs, because she doesn't want everyone to see her bald. It's a blip and a panic, and she says it's the worst decision of her life, but it's probably a slight overreaction!"

How have your loved ones in real life reacted to the change?
"They love it! My daughters think it looks great and they're really proud of me. People keep saying, 'Well done for doing it!', but because of relating to my friend and doing some work with brain cancer charities, for me it's been a doddle. It's the least I can do. Everyone has been so complimentary and I never realised I had a good shaved head!"

Have you had much feedback for the story so far?
"Yes, I get lots of comments from people who have brain cancer or people saying, 'Well done Emmerdale for doing this storyline and highlighting it'. It's one of the highest killers of young people, which I had no idea about, but it's also one of the lowest funded of all the cancer research charities. It only gets 0.7% of the funding, so it's raising the profile of it.

"Hopefully it will encourage people to specifically donate to brain cancer charities. I've heard charities say that when they're out on the street, people say, 'Oh no, I give to cancer, not brain tumour charities'. They have to say, 'This is a form of cancer' as people don't realise. The comments I've had have been really positive."

With Gennie leaving the show, are you going to miss working with Sian?
"I can't actually bring myself to think about it at the moment! We've done lots of crying scenes and thinking about Sian going has helped with those. I'll still see her, but I'll miss her terribly - and it'll be very quiet!"

Perdita
09-07-2013, 10:26
Emmerdale star Lesley Dunlop has revealed that her character Brenda Walker's upcoming wedding to Bob Hope has made her want to get married.

Dunlop is currently in a relationship with co-star Chris Chittell, who plays the soap's longest-serving cast member Eric Pollard.

Speaking to The Mirror, Dunlop said: "I've never been married but I think maybe I would like to be.

"I'm a bit old-fashioned so Chris would have to propose to me. I want to be asked."

Dunlop also revealed that Chittell has been supportive of her latest storyline which saw her shave off her hair to portray brain tumour sufferer Brenda.

Dunlop said: "My poor old chap Chris suffers. He's been a saint because I tend to get a bit ratty over the daftest things at the moment. I just seem to snap for no reason because the emotions are running so high."

http://i2.cdnds.net/13/23/618x411/soaps-emmerdale-lesley-dunlop-head-shaved-1.jpg
© ITV
Lesley Dunlop has her head shaved.

She continued: "In the kitchen, we tend to make dinner together but if he tries to help me I might bark, 'I'll just do it on my own, thank you'. If he's texting when I'm about to put things on the table that will really annoy me.

"I get home at 9pm and just want to go straight to bed. It's really taken it out of me. Chris is amazing, though. He even told me he thinks I look sexy without my hair, bless him. He always tries to make me feel special."

Perdita
01-08-2013, 11:21
Emmerdale star Lesley Dunlop has revealed that filming the aftermath of Gennie Sharma's death has been a struggle.

Dunlop, who plays Gennie's mother Brenda, was left devastated last week when she discovered her daughter had died in a car crash. She is unaware that Gennie actually survived the crash and was murdered by Cameron.

Dunlop said to Inside Soap: "I find it hard to even think about. It's the worst thing any mother could go through.

"Filming the scene where Brenda found out Gennie was dead was much harder than the scenes where I shaved my hair off."

The actress, who has two daughters of her own, has revealed that she will miss working with Sian Reese-Williams, who played Gennie.

Dunlop said: "I miss Sian - she's my child. I consider I've got three daughters now.

"I kept sending her videos from when we were filming the funeral saying, 'Look what you've done to us!'

"I just kept on crying and crying, and I couldn't stop."

alan45
07-01-2014, 00:38

alan45
07-01-2014, 00:38
Emmerdale kicks off a surprising new storyline for Brenda Walker next week as she starts shoplifting.

Brenda is still grieving for her late daughter Gennie when she finds that the thrill of stealing items provides a welcome escape from her feelings of sadness.

Here, Lesley Dunlop - who plays Brenda - explains the latest twist for her character and why things will get worse over the next few weeks.

How would you describe Brenda's current state of mind?
"Well, she's had a horrible Christmas. She's been missing Gennie and of course Molly, who has been ripped from her arms by her son-in-law Nikhil. So she's been very low over Christmas. Bob and her friends have tried to cheer her up, which works for a bit, but she can't get over what's happened."

How does the grief affect Brenda's relationship with Bob?
"Bob doesn't really know what to do - he just feels helpless. Brenda doesn't like it either, as she doesn't want to be miserable all the time. It is affecting their relationship."

Bob suggests that Brenda should attend a grief counselling service that Harriet is running at the church hall. How does she react?
"At first Brenda says that she absolutely doesn't want to go. She doesn't think it will help and the last thing she wants to do is sit in a group and talk about her feelings when she can't even talk to Bob about them. In the end she does go because she's got to do something.

"It's Bob who changes her mind and she thinks that she's got to do something to get out of this situation. She also wants to convince Bob that she does want to get out of it. Brenda says that she'll go once, but if she doesn't like it, she won't go back."

http://i1.cdnds.net/14/01/618x427/soaps-emmerdale-6766-1.jpg
© ITV
Brenda attends the bereavement group

How do things go with the group?
"Brenda goes in and thinks, 'Oh this might help'. She meets Ruby there, they go into things and Brenda does start talking. It seems like it's going to be good for her, but in the end she just doesn't feel anything from it."

What happens next?
"Brenda goes into David's shop and she's still feeling funny about it all. Jude, the lovely curate, comes and asks about how it went. Brenda gets in a state and doesn't want to talk about it, so she leaves the shop. She's been looking at tights and then finds that she's actually still got a pack of the tights in her hand.

"Brenda goes to take them back, but she gets a little buzz and lift from it. She finds herself walking away and not taking them back. This gives her a slightly euphoric feeling. I think it's because she finds out it's a two-pack - it makes her even happier! (Laughs.)"

What would you say is the psychology behind Brenda's shoplifting?
"I think it is the buzz that she gets. It also distracts and takes away from the pain in her heart, the anxiety and the grief. At least the question of 'will she get caught?' isn't as bad as that sick feeling of grief she has. It does give her a rush of adrenaline."

Is there a part of Brenda that wants to be caught?
"I don't think so, no. She worries very much about being caught, but that feeling is better than the pain that she has with the loss of her daughter and granddaughter."

Brenda steals an expensive bag and gives it to Kerry as a present, but Georgia notices that it's very expensive. How does Brenda explain it?
"She just says that it's a cheap version and didn't cost very much!"

http://i1.cdnds.net/14/01/618x414/soaps-emmerdale-6767-1.jpg
© ITV
Kerry becomes suspicious of Brenda's behaviour.

Brenda and Kerry are getting closer in general. Could Kerry be a bad influence?
"I don't think we see Kerry being a bad influence, apart from when Bob says to Brenda that she can't give away presents like that. Kerry says, 'Yes she can!' But I don't think Kerry has an unkind bone in her body - she's just a bit like Brenda in the way that she puts her foot in it and says the wrong things. They've got a good friendship."

Next week also sees Georgia decide to take a trip to Canada to visit Nikhil and Molly. How does Brenda feel about that?
"She's mortified. Of course she can't go herself, and that jealousy will come out in a rather childlike way. It also perpetuates the stealing. She forgets about the consequences and enjoys that buzz. Stealing is her drug of choice, I suppose."

The twins' birthday is also coming up. What is Brenda's plan for their presents?
"To nick them! She wants to get them exactly what they want, and it gives her another opportunity to steal something. Because she's doing it for the twins she sees it as a good thing. But today I've done a scene where Brenda steals a customer's purse, so it is going to get worse."

How do you think Bob would react if he found out what Brenda was up to?
"I think it would be quite tricky for him to understand it. It's a hard thing to understand."

Have you enjoyed this twist to Brenda's grief story?
"I'm still waiting to see how it concludes, but it's great, interesting and good to play. It's how it is concluded that I'm interested in, because I don't know myself yet."

What does the future hold for Brenda?
"Well, it's not looking good if she's just going to make matters worse! It looks at the moment that it does escalate…"