PDA

View Full Version : Does Bringing Back Old Characters(Like Grant)Ruin EastEnders?

melanielovesdennisrickman
23-05-2005, 07:23
Hiya!!!!!
It seems like a lot of people think that bringing back characters from the past like Grant isn't making EastEnders any better,and they should concentrate on new people.
Does anybody agree with this?????
I personally am really happy that Grant is finally returning and Phil is too,because i just love them,but i do think that they should concentrate on good stories with new people too,as Grant is only coming back for a short while.
What do you Guys think?????

Love
:heart: Melanie :heart:

soapaddict
23-05-2005, 09:12
No way. Eastenders is getting better and better.

bringing back old charcters is wicked.

Babe14
23-05-2005, 10:12
Bringing back old characters, especially those who have been out of it for log time doesn't work take Dirty Den for example. It's no use doing the same storylines over and over. With the Mitchell's return you can already predict the storylines, ones which the viewers became fed up with and wanted the Mitchells out.

You need old established regular characters who don't keep taking breaks combined with fresh new blood to boost a show. That way they can have ongoing storylines with old characters plus fresh new storylines with fresh faces. That's what is needed not stale "bread"

alan45
23-05-2005, 10:14
I think it shows how far the show has fallen when they have to resort to spending huge amounts of Licence Payers Money to bring back Pseudo-Gangsters like the Mitchells. Spend the money on good scriptwriters and decent storylines. Develop the characters they have. It was so foolish bringing back Den Watts from the dead and totally unbelievable too

phils little sister
23-05-2005, 10:36
No way! EE ratings will shoot up when Grant , Phil and Peggy get back :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Debs
23-05-2005, 10:42
i donr think that just bringing bach charcaters would make a difference to eastenders!! i like some of the characters they bought back. i liked dens return but then i was gald they killed him off!! i think they nedd better storylines!

Babe14
23-05-2005, 10:49
I think it shows how far the show has fallen when they have to resort to spending huge amounts of Licence Payers Money to bring back Pseudo-Gangsters like the Mitchells. Spend the money on good scriptwriters and decent storylines. Develop the characters they have. It was so foolish bringing back Den Watts from the dead and totally unbelievable too

Well said. At the end of the day it's the scripts/storylines which make the show. No storyline no show. Just to say I think that Eastenders is going in the right direction again with the storylines they have been putting out this month and the upcoming ones. Offering huge amounts of cash in a bid to get people to return to a show just shows desperation.

Carrie Bradshaw
23-05-2005, 10:52
I think that as long as the old characters have new people to interact with and different storylines, they will be a success. However, as soon as you start to repeat what has happened before, it becomes boring and just makes Eastenders come across as desperate to get ratings up!

alan45
23-05-2005, 10:59
No way! EE ratings will shoot up when Grant , Phil and Peggy get back :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Yes just like they shot up when Den was raised from the dead :rotfl:

Babe14
23-05-2005, 11:11
I think that as long as the old characters have new people to interact with and different storylines, they will be a success. However, as soon as you start to repeat what has happened before, it becomes boring and just makes Eastenders come across as desperate to get ratings up!

Exactly:)

Babe14
23-05-2005, 11:13

Ys that was a huge success wasn't it. I was really looking forward to his return and soon ended up very disappointed.

phils little sister
23-05-2005, 11:14

was i talking about Den :moonie: :moonie:

Babe14
23-05-2005, 11:21
was i talking about Den :moonie: :moonie:

No, but we were just saying, having a discussion about bringing back old characters.:)

phils little sister
23-05-2005, 11:40
No, but we were just saying, having a discussion about bringing back old characters.:)

Yes i know, and i just said i wasnt talking about Den - it is a complety different issue - Den was brought back from the dead - phil, grant and peggy are alive

Treacle
23-05-2005, 11:52
I think it works in the short time but for it to work properly they need a long term direction and a good script/plot.
Frank Butchers 2nd return worked out relatively well when he got together with Peggy and Sharon had a successful comeback too but she was soon spoiled by LB and Shannis.

dddMac1
23-05-2005, 11:54
no way i think Bringing back old Characters like grant back is a good idea as long as the time is right and there is a good storyline for the Actor/Actress

alan45
23-05-2005, 12:21
Well lets hope the much hyped return of the Mitchells does not end up as disasterously as recent returns.

Treacle
23-05-2005, 12:32
I would much rather see Janine Butch back than any of them!!! I do want Peggy though but don't care about beetroot but Grant would be great too.
Kat and Dennis were always coming back and I don't care about Sharon although I knew she'd probably come back for her 1000th time. Mind you when she returned the first time she was v.good but it was when she left for America then came back again that things got out of control when Shannis started.

alan45
23-05-2005, 13:02
I agree with you about Superbitch Janine but personally I cannot stand the poison dwarf Peggy Mitchell, totally one dimensional and very much overrated

Treacle
23-05-2005, 13:58
She has had her moments though over the years although at one point they turned her into a miserable annoying old hag.

callummc
23-05-2005, 14:23
I don't really like the mitchells but if it dosn't work out it'll be down to bad scripts ,which for a while now has been EE problem,as well as bringing back some old faces they should also bring back some old writers cos since christmas it seems a 3 year old has been writing some episodes,sarah phelps episodes stand out now more than ever ,when you get a good episode 9 times out of 10 she's the writer,so come on EEget her some help

alan45
23-05-2005, 15:14
She is another one of those who seem to think they are bigger than the show.

emma_strange
23-05-2005, 16:06
No no no. I love the old characters. Eastenders was so much better back in the day'. Back in the days of Lou, Arthur, Pete, Mark, etc ahh I liked them.

dddMac1
23-05-2005, 16:07
No no no. I love the old characters. Eastenders was so much better back in the day'. Back in the days of Lou, Arthur, Pete, Mark, etc ahh I liked them.

I agree

Joanne
23-05-2005, 16:13
I think it depends on who the characters are that are brought back and how you viewed them previously. I never liked the Mitchell Brothers first time round and I think that in real life Peggy would probably be slapped several times a day mouthing off and acting like she does - so the return of the Mitchells does nothing for me.

23-05-2005, 17:30
Hiya!!!!!
A lot of people are saying that the scripts are very important,and i totally agree,but without good actors,there's no point of having good storylines!!!!!
You need to have good actors and characters to act out the storylines,so it a combination of both,and as i said before,i'm a huge fan of Grant and the other Mitchells,and i'm really happy that they are coming back.
Also i think that it's great that Kat is coming back,and ofcourse Sharon and Dennis,can't wait!!!!!
I would also absolutely Love to see Janine Butcher return!!!!!
But ofcourse i also think that EastEnders needs some good new characters,and we already got some in the beginning of this year (Ruby,Johnny,Danny,and ofcourse the very sexy and cute Jake Moon!!!!!)

Love

Princess
23-05-2005, 18:50
No all the old characters are the best!

Angeldelight
23-05-2005, 18:55
YES... when they brought back Dirty Den it WAS good at first... then it just went down hill... i loved the episode when they brought back Phil and he was arrested... but how can they top that with him coming back??? and they're bringing back Peggy... and god helps us her screeching voice...

kelly05
23-05-2005, 19:43
I think they spend too much money on this. They should be using the money to develop the characters they already have. The return of Grant Mitchell isn't going to save Eastenders from it's current predicament. Is one character bigger than the entire show?.... Don't think so!!! What happens when all the hype and publicity surrounding his return has died down? Or when he's done his five minutes worth, and sailed off again with a ridiculous amont of money in his back pocket? Won't they be back to square one again........ only with alot less money to spend on devloping the characters that are still there!! :angry:

.:SpIcYsPy:.
23-05-2005, 21:40
No.

littlemo
23-05-2005, 21:44
First of all I'd just like to say, Grant is definetely one of my favourite characters, and I think Phil and Grant made a brilliant team, really fantastic! I can't wait to see them back on the screen! Same goes for Dennis!
Right I've got that out of the way!

Bringing back old characters at the right time for the right reasons, is great!. The thought of the Mitchells never coming back, and no more Dennis, doesn't sit well with me at all. But there are certain situations where it is better to just let sleeping dogs lie. For example; Frank Butcher, he was great in EE, a brilliant character, but these continutious episodes with him on his own in Spain, it's just boring and tedious! (this is just my opinion).

There are good comebacks and there are bad ones. I'm not sure where I stand with the Den situation. I think it could have been really great, if the writers had created good storylines for him, and he was given the persona he once had back in the 80's. I understand a person changes in 14 years, you can't keep them exactly the same, but when it comes to family, there are certain things you just don't do. A blood relation of Den's would not have been given the treatment that Dennis was, no way! Even before he found out about Sharon and Dennis. Den wouldn't have behaved like that towards his own flesh and blood. I think the writers finished him off, with the hatred for his son.

24-05-2005, 05:52
First of all I'd just like to say, Grant is definetely one of my favourite characters, and I think Phil and Grant made a brilliant team, really fantastic! I can't wait to see them back on the screen! Same goes for Dennis!
Right I've got that out of the way!

Bringing back old characters at the right time for the right reasons, is great!. The thought of the Mitchells never coming back, and no more Dennis, doesn't sit well with me at all. But there are certain situations where it is better to just let sleeping dogs lie. For example; Frank Butcher, he was great in EE, a brilliant character, but these continutious episodes with him on his own in Spain, it's just boring and tedious! (this is just my opinion).

There are good comebacks and there are bad ones. I'm not sure where I stand with the Den situation. I think it could have been really great, if the writers had created good storylines for him, and he was given the persona he once had back in the 80's. I understand a person changes in 14 years, you can't keep them exactly the same, but when it comes to family, there are certain things you just don't do. A blood relation of Den's would not have been given the treatment that Dennis was, no way! Even before he found out about Sharon and Dennis. Den wouldn't have behaved like that towards his own flesh and blood. I think the writers finished him off, with the hatred for his son.

Hiya!!!!!
I totally Agree with you on that!!!!!
They could have Made Dens ComeBack a succes,if they would have done it the right way.
I really liked the Episode where Den came back,but when he started treating Dennis badly,and with the whole episodes with him keeping Sharon and Dennis apart i started to hate him more and more.

Love

alan45
24-05-2005, 09:41
Hiya!!!!!
I totally Agree with you on that!!!!!
They could have Made Dens ComeBack a succes,if they would have done it the right way.
I really liked the Episode where Den came back,but when he started treating Dennis badly,and with the whole episodes with him keeping Sharon and Dennis apart i started to hate him more and more.

Love

No matter how they did it they could never have made Den's comeback realistic. He was DEAD, he was buried, his body was identified before burial so how could they resurrect him. :thumbsdow

Treacle
24-05-2005, 11:22
The ratings did shoot up for Den but after a while the usual problem (LB) made them shoot back down again.
We can't all pretend that they're bringing back Peggy and Phil though because they didn't leave, they took breaks at the time although they have been away for ages.
Grant is a bring back though and I hope it works out with the right plot/script.