PDA

View Full Version : Assignment Help - Opinions/Views

CrazyLea
17-04-2008, 18:20
I am doing a presentation on TV viewing figures for college and would just like some peoples opinons and views on a few things, kinda like a focus group; so I can get a better view and quote a few people so I can use it as my primary research. Hope this is okay?

Do you use services such as BBC iPlayer? If yes, why? E.g. don't have to worry about missing something, can watch what you want when you want, can watch something on a different channel... etc..

Do you think they are a good idea? Do you think every channel should have that service available? Such as Ch5...

Do you think they are a bad idea? Why?

Do you tend to use them more than actually watching TV?

Do you think the tv stations (on an actual tv) are going to eventually fade out? Should TV companies be worried? What do you think they can do to boost up viewings (on an actual tv)?

For Welsh people (please state whether you are fluent in the Welsh language); Do you watch S4C? Why? E.g... celebrate Welsh language/culture, good programmes...etc... If not, why? E.g. not all programmes have English subtitles (if you are non Welsh speaker, programmes aren't your thing... etc.. If S4C had an online service, would you watch it more?

This is all for now. I may ask more after reading people's opinions. I would really appreciate all views.

Abigail
17-04-2008, 19:50
Do you use services such as BBC iPlayer? If yes, why?

I use iPlayer when programs clash like on ITV or when I've been out and missed a program.
I don't use the catch up player on ITV because they don't have half the programs that they show on the channel due to copyright.

Do you think they are a good idea? Do you think every channel should have that service available?

I think they are an excellent idea. They allow people to catch up on their favourite programs if they miss them and not worry if they are out. I always make sure I'm in on a Thursday at 9pm, I'd cancel with my friends to make sure I'm in because House season four isn't repeated.

I definitely think channel 5 should have a catch up player so I can watch House season four all the time :rotfl:

No, I think they allow the viewers freedom to watch tv at their convenience/

No, I only use them if I have missed a program due to a clash

Do you think the tv stations (on an actual tv) are going to eventually fade out? Should TV companies be worried? What do you think they can do to boost up viewings (on an actual tv)?

I don't think so. Not everybody has access to a computer and internet and not everybody wants to watch tv online.

I think ITV have to stop competing with the BBC in everything, especially when it comes to Saturday nights eg Grease and Any Dream Will Do, Strictly and Dancing on Ice.

CrazyLea
17-04-2008, 20:09
Thanks Abigail. This was really helpful. Particularly the bit about the ITV player as I didn't know that some of the programmes weren't available on it.

Xx-Vicky-xX
17-04-2008, 20:13
Do you use services such as BBC iPlayer? If yes, why?

Yes i do because if i go out or i miss the end of an episode of say casualty because i have fallen asleep it means i can watch it the day after, or when ever i want to

Do you think they are a good idea? Do you think every channel should have that service available? Such as Ch5...

Maybe not C5, its not the most popular channel but maybe some of the sky channels, sometimes i forget something is on or i fall asleep before seeing it and i wish that there was something i could watch it on to see what i missed

No i think they are a great idea, though it is a pain when some stuff isnt avaliable, for instance i downloaded 4OD took 2 hours and the programme i wanted wasnt even on there

No not really, i hardly watch tv anyway but if i miss something i really want to watch i will use the catch up players

Do you think the tv stations (on an actual tv) are going to eventually fade out?

No i dont think they will

Should TV companies be worried?

No i dont think so

What do you think they can do to boost up viewings (on an actual tv)?

More advertisement of programes maybe? Take Eastenders busses are beginning to advertise it so they are probably getting alot of ratings from this

Abi
17-04-2008, 20:16
Do you use services such as BBC iPlayer?
I use BBC iPlayer a lot. Mainly when i've missed programmes, or someone has told me that a programme was really good. I've not used any of the others though, only iPlayer.

I think they are good, yeah. I think all channels should have one, but only if they are reliable. I've tried using the ITV one, and its so awfull, that i don't bother any more. Its forever coming up with errors on my browser.

Well, i guess they isolate a lot of people. If i was a parent, i don't think i'd like it much, as you'd have even less control over what your kids watch. I know most have parental controls, but i think its probably better to watch what your kids watch at the same time, then just trust that a website has got a good parental control programme.

No. I only use them if i want to watch a specific programme. Whereas i'll just put the TV on and see what comes on. Especially on channels like BBC3 which always have a good programme on.

Do you think the tv stations (on an actual tv) are going to eventually fade out?
No, because i think people will always prefer to watch things on the TV, as the computer can have problems. Streaming, for example, can be rubbish.

Should TV companies be worried? What do you think they can do to boost up viewings (on an actual tv)?
I dont think they should be. People are still watching their programmes, just in a different way. Just like 10 years ago, when people would video tape them.

Abigail
17-04-2008, 20:18

Channels other than the BBC could stop putting so many ad breaks on during programs. It really annoys me when you sit down to watch a program and ten minutes later there is a four minute break.

CrazyLea
17-04-2008, 20:19
Thanks Abi. Again very helpful (don't worry I'm not going to thank everyone individually :lol:).

I am especially pleased with your view of why it could be or is bad. I had never thought of it this way before. I will be using part of what you said as a quote from my "focus group" < (which is what I'm calling you all), if that's okay. That's a really good point I think and I could elaborate on that.

Thanks muchly!!

Xx-Vicky-xX
17-04-2008, 20:21

Channels other than the BBC could stop putting so many ad breaks on during programs. It really annoys me when you sit down to watch a program and ten minutes later there is a four minute break.

If you think that's annoying you wouldn't like America, they have adverts every 5 minuites....that annoys me because i watch Extreme makeover home edition and they keep in the bit where the commentator says "coming up next on EMHE" but then they go back to the show without the break where it would be in America

CrazyLea
17-04-2008, 20:21
Take Eastenders busses are beginning to advertise it so they are probably getting alot of ratings from this
What's an Eastenders bus?

Also, it is interesting what you say about 4oD because I had exactly the same problem.

I don't know why I didn't think of asking all you lot ages ago - instead of worrying about this damned essay! I am getting loads of good information. Once again, thanks all :D.

Xx-Vicky-xX
17-04-2008, 20:24
Take Eastenders busses are beginning to advertise it so they are probably getting alot of ratings from this
What's an Eastenders bus?

Also, it is interesting what you say about 4oD because I had exactly the same problem.

I don't know why I didn't think of asking all you lot ages ago - instead of worrying about this damned essay! I am getting loads of good information. Once again, thanks all :D.

Thats just the way i've written it :lol: its meant to be take eastenders, busses are advertising them now and are probably getting them more ratings

CrazyLea
17-04-2008, 20:26
Oh right are they? We don't get that down here. Interesting. Do you get advertisements for British shows on billboards? What other kinds of advertisement is done in England/London?

Katy
17-04-2008, 20:32
Do you use services such as BBC iPlayer? If yes, why? E.g. don't have to worry about missing something, can watch what you want when you want, can watch something on a different channel... etc..

Yes i do watch Iplayer as it is much easier to watch things when i have nothing to do like early in the morning rather than in the evenings when the soaps are on as i am doing other things such as studying or playing football or going to the gym.

I think they are a good idea as it gives people more flexibility in watching television and people could watch a show that they may not be able to due to the time it is on telly.

I personally dont think they are a bad idea, plus as the start of the year i didnt have a TV it meant i could still watch my favourite shows and now i have it the receptions is not too great.

DEfinitly, like i said before the signal where i am at the minute is not too great and the quality on iplayer etc is really good

not really as the reception when good in an area there is less hassle with the downloading, plus my computer tends to overheat when watching them as it is running for a long time and causes it to freeze.

For Welsh people (please state whether you are fluent in the Welsh language); Do you watch S4C? Why? E.g... celebrate Welsh language/culture, good programmes...etc... If not, why? E.g. not all programmes have English subtitles (if you are non Welsh speaker, programmes aren't your thing... etc.. If S4C had an online service, would you watch it more?

Living in Wales i do watch S4C now and again, with the sound down and the subtitles. I think it is nice to keep up to date with your local area, as at home i watch channel m (channel manchester) News. I watched wedi 5 the other afternoon as it had something on about Caernarfon and the galleri which i found interesting. Its also fun to watch Rownd a Rownd as it is filmed over the bridge and its nice recognising things. It also helps picking up a bit of the language. I dont think the online service would make me watch it as i tend to only watch it if its on and i am in the vicinity.

This is all for now. I may ask more after reading people's opinions. I would really appreciate all views.

Oh and an eastenders bus is now there are adverts fo easternders on the side of buses saying things like RickAAAAAAAAAAY. April on Eastenders, don't miss it. THere are quite a lot of advertisments for TV shows in Manchester City Centre and at train stations.

CrazyLea
17-04-2008, 20:35
These buses... are they just in England. Has anyone in Wales, Scotland or NI seen them??

StarsOfCCTV
17-04-2008, 20:42
On tube escalators there are advertisements, when Ronnie and Roxy came into Eastenders there was a massive ad campaign on the tube.

Xx-Vicky-xX
17-04-2008, 20:42
I think billboards in London advertise Eastenders aswell, not sure about other shows someone who lives there may be able to answer that.

The busses im not sure where they are either but England deffinately do, as do advertisements inside black cabs (like on the back of seats) least i know i have been in a couple which do

Katy
17-04-2008, 20:45
I seen them on Stagecoach Manchester i havent sen them in WAles im afraid.

Abigail
17-04-2008, 21:03
I haven't seen them anywhere in Yorkshire.

Xx-Vicky-xX
17-04-2008, 21:05
I haven't seen them anywhere in Yorkshire.

I know they are in West Yorkshire because my mates see them all the time and moan about how annoying they are :lol:

di marco
17-04-2008, 21:32

yeh i use iplayer and 4od, both mainly when im at uni cos of the shows clashing with other things which i do in the evenings and my video doesnt record stuff. also when im bored i flick through 4od cos it has quite a lot of shows on there which are different/one-offs which look interesting. dont use the itv one though cos 1) i dont really watch anything on itv, and 2) i tried using it and my computer had way too many issues with it so i gave up!

i think theyre an excellent idea, as i hate missing things when i go out! id quite like ch5 to have one cos i cant get ch5 at uni and although before i wasnt too bothered, now id quite like to be able to see neighbours lol! i dont think it will ever happen with sky/cable channels though cos of the whole subscription issue, and also (and i might be wrong cos i dont have sky) but isnt sky+ sort of the same thing? so i dont think its really needed. also, although i think theyre a good idea, i think some of the programmes need to be available for longer, i think maybe iplayer should have their programmes available for a fortnight or maybe even a month like 4od

i dont think theyre a bad idea, although they are very distracting as you can use it as an excuse to not do something youre meant to be doing as you can watch the shows whenever you want

no i dont think so as i try and watch the programmes on the tv when i can, although it does differ depending on other commitments i have, when i have very busy weeks then i will obviously use them more than watching the tv. also i prefer watching shows on the actual tv rather than my computer

i dont think so cos even with these catchup services online, id say the majority of people still tend to sit down and watch the shows on tv so i dont think thats going to change any time soon. plus if you sit down in the evenings as a family to watch the tv, its a lot harder to all sit round a computer screen. and whereas the only real problem with the tv is if theres a power cut, the computer has a lot more problems with not working/the programmes not being available

Abbie
17-04-2008, 21:56
I do :D I dont know which I use more though, I only really use them if I happen to miss an episode or cant watch an episode.

I think they should, I mean sometimes I dont have time to watch some programs, it depends what time I get in from college, and it makes it easier that if I miss an epsiode Its no problem

Nope dont think they are a bad idea

Not realy, I only use them if I miss an epsiode for what ever reason, I dont miss them on TV by purpose

I dont really know, I dont think they will fade out, cos theres something I just like about having a full night of TV and the times given that I have to watch them, I feel a bit werid watching them online sometimes its a bit werid and I dont get the same feeling but at the same time I love them cos it means I dont miss anything.

Abi
17-04-2008, 21:56
Thanks Abi. Again very helpful (don't worry I'm not going to thank everyone individually :lol:).

I am especially pleased with your view of why it could be or is bad. I had never thought of it this way before. I will be using part of what you said as a quote from my "focus group" < (which is what I'm calling you all), if that's okay. That's a really good point I think and I could elaborate on that.

Thanks muchly!!

Sure, thats fine! Glad to help :)

Abbie
17-04-2008, 21:58
These buses... are they just in England. Has anyone in Wales, Scotland or NI seen them??

Ive seen the buses, a few weeks ago in manchester there was just an ordinary public bus with a poster of Eastenders background and the word: Riccaaaaaaaaaakkkkkyyyy on it

Chloe O'brien
18-04-2008, 12:59
I am doing a presentation on TV viewing figures for college and would just like some peoples opinons and views on a few things, kinda like a focus group; so I can get a better view and quote a few people so I can use it as my primary research. Hope this is okay?

Yes I use BBC IPlayer to catch up with programmes that I have missed. Up here in Scotland Holby usually clashes with CSI on a Tuesday night, also I am out two nights a week at Judo and I don't get home until about 9.

I think they are a very good Idea and all channels should have them. I like that you can watch a programme on the computer and not get interupted by adverts at the good parts.

The only negative point I have about catching up on programmes that it may have a detrimental effect on some programmes who rely on viewing figures to count on another series. Programmes like EE may not be affected as they attract around 10 million viewers an episode, but if you are a series with only 8 or 10 episodes like Ashes to Ashes you rely on veiwers watching the programme on TV, as this is were they take the figures from.

No as there is some programmes that I watch that are not available yet to view on the internet.

I don't think they will fade out but technology is changing all the time. i think its only a matter of time that the Iternet will become included in a television and viewers will be able to save all programmes and watch them at anytime with just a flick of a button on a remote control.

Kim
20-04-2008, 22:50
Do you use services such as BBC iPlayer? If yes, why? Occasionally. Most often if I see an advertisment for a program on BBC3, as the signal on my freeview is useless on that channel. It's a lot more convenient than trying to get the tv downstairs. Otherwise it's just if I have too much work one night, then I can just log on within the next week and watch. If I'm out then it's easier to come in and watch something on iPlayer or whatever rather than explaining to my mum 10 times how to record on my DVD player :lol:

Do you think they are a good idea? Do you think every channel should have that service available? Such as Ch5... Definitely. It would stop sibling rows and such over what to watch, because they can go on the computer and log on to whichever site's player they need to watch what they wanted.

Do you think they are a bad idea? Why? Yeah, in a way. Kids can just get round the boundaries set for them by their parents with the players, such as what they can watch or how much tv they can watch. With more and more online revision, children could easily keep the volume down or use earphones and watch as much of whatever they wanted - parents aren't exactly going to spend their time standing in front of the computer supervising their children.

Do you tend to use them more than actually watching TV? No.

Do you think the tv stations (on an actual tv) are going to eventually fade out? Should TV companies be worried? What do you think they can do to boost up viewings (on an actual tv)? Only on freeview, because there's more channels on an actual digital package than there is on freeview. I don't think the companies should be too worried about it though. To boost up the viewings; be a bit more selective with the adverts. I can't count the amount of times I've sat down to watch something, had the adverts come on; one advert is played and then a few adverts later, the same thing is played again! I'd do something about the time intervals as well; on UKTV Gold for example, I've sat down to watch an episode of Eastenders and the adverts have come on something like 6 minutes in at times; in a 30 minute program! (I was videoing so I could tell how long exactly it had been.)

CrazyLea
20-04-2008, 22:53
Thanks Kim liked your views on the Freeview company and the adverts.

Thanks to everyone by the way. It really is much appreciated. Very helpful!

Abigail
21-04-2008, 11:19
Do you think the tv stations (on an actual tv) are going to eventually fade out? Should TV companies be worried? What do you think they can do to boost up viewings (on an actual tv)? Only on freeview, because there's more channels on an actual digital package than there is on freeview.

Freeview is free though so its ideal for those on a low income, students, the older generation who can't afford to pay every month and people who don't want to pay subscription.

Freeview actually gained more customers (243,000) in the final three months in 2007 than Sky (145,000) and Virgin Media (61,100) put together.

The only downside is that some people can't get every channel. I live in East Yorkshire and I can get every channel. My sister lives in North Yorkshire but she can't get five channels. Maybe that's because I live in a fairly flat area and NY is very hilly.