PDA

View Full Version : Do you still have Sunday Dinners?

Chris_2k11
13-04-2008, 19:46
Its obviously a 'tradition' to have one but do you still bother? its a bit random in our house, we might have 1 one week and then not bother the next. we had one today though

Abbie
13-04-2008, 19:48
I do, every sunday :D

Xx-Vicky-xX
13-04-2008, 19:49
We usually do but we didnt today because we fancied a change

di marco
13-04-2008, 19:50
yep we always do, and if for some reason we are going out on the sunday we have it on the saturday instead! i even make my own sunday dinner when im at uni, need to have my weekly fix of roast potatoes lol! :D

StarsOfCCTV
13-04-2008, 20:52
We don't....we do sit down for dinner, all of us almost every night though.

Perdita
13-04-2008, 20:58
I do a dinner most Sundays, hate it though because I never get any help from the OH :angry:

Abbie
13-04-2008, 20:59
I have to be honest I never eat with the family, we never really all sit down and eat, I mostly eat in my room, which I know is quite bad

StarsOfCCTV
13-04-2008, 21:05
I have to be honest I never eat with the family, we never really all sit down and eat, I mostly eat in my room, which I know is quite bad
I'd rather do that actually! There's never any dinner conversation anyway, we just eat and leave really...:rolleyes:

Chris_2k11
13-04-2008, 21:06
I sit in the room with it on my lap

Abbie
13-04-2008, 21:12
I sit in the room with it on my lap

Thats what I do

Jessie Wallace
13-04-2008, 21:16
Yes definatly, that's part of what makes it Sunday, we sometimes have one during the week too, but without all the trimmings!

Abigail
13-04-2008, 21:19
We used to sit at the table and have one every Sunday when my sister lived at home but since she's left we don't tend to sit together any more. Its fine by me, I spend most of my time in my room.

We usually do have a cooked dinner on Sunday. We didn't have one today, we're having it tomorrow instead.

Abbie
13-04-2008, 22:14
Sometime we do miss out the odd sunday but rarely

Kirsty :]
13-04-2008, 22:24
We usually have a Cook dinner on a Sunday still too :)
Sometimes if we're busy we give it a miss
But most of the time we do :)
And for familys birthday ... like mine today
My Nan does her famous cook dinners with all the veg and the roasties Yummy!
haha
Thats the only time we sit at the table though
Other than that I eat in my room too... usually because of so much school work.

I wonder how the cook dinner came about. Hmmmm

Jojo
13-04-2008, 22:51
We almost always have a sunday dinner and we definitely always sit round the table to eat - every night. Its the only time when I can get everyone together and talking etc. We'll sometimes have one during the week aswell.

.:SpIcYsPy:.
13-04-2008, 22:55
Occasionally, probably every 2-3 weeks or something but we do try and sit together as a family and eat and do stuff over the weekend whenever we can. The sunday dinner I mean is 2-3 weeks but whenever dad's not at work and there for dinner on the weekends we sit together. I quite enjoy it :D

Pinkbanana
13-04-2008, 23:08
Sunday dinner is what makes Sunday imo :) A good time to catch up with the family, I find.

Chloe O'brien
13-04-2008, 23:24
We always have a Sunday dinner and a cooked breakfast on a Sunday morning. Sundays wouldn't be the same. I usually cook about 4 or five times a week. the nights that Marley is out at Judo or dancing its a sandwich or a ready meal stuck in the oven.

Siobhan
14-04-2008, 09:55
We almost always have a sunday dinner and we definitely always sit round the table to eat - every night. Its the only time when I can get everyone together and talking etc. We'll sometimes have one during the week aswell.

same here.. whenever I can get everyone together but we always eat as a family in my mums house when we go down.. same with the inlaws house.. everyday we have a family dinner.. I miss it in my own house

di marco
14-04-2008, 13:18
im surprised the amount of people who dont sit at the table to eat dinner! in my house at home we have to sit at the table to eat dinner and we all eat together (apart from my dad on weekdays cos he works late) most other meals we eat at the table together as well. even in my uni house, i mostly eat dinner at the table (other meals i eat in my room) and if theres more than one of us making food at the same time we always seem to sit and eat at the table even if we would normally take it upstairs

Perdita
14-04-2008, 13:33
There is only the two of us normally and we sit down at the table to eat, I like to have the telly on to just see what happens on Deal or No Deal or whatever else happens to be on during the week, the OH prefers the telly to be off, I usually win though. There is no telly on at weekends most times as there is nothing on to watch really. I agree that it helps for families to bond if they sit at the table and communicate.

JustJodi
14-04-2008, 13:38
Since Kim and I are old foots,, we take our food into the living room and sit in front of the TV or PC whichever,,Usually he gets the PC I get the TV.. I think the last time he and I sat down at the table was a few weeks ago cos the meal I prepared required the big kitchen table,,

for those who do not know Kim is a guy LOL:p

parkerman
14-04-2008, 16:57
We (wife, youngest son and I) always have a Sunday dinner and we used to eat it round the table, but now, unless we have our eldest son and his wife round (about once a month), we tend to eat it on our laps in the living room - usually watching the Eastenders Omnibus. When our son comes round we have it at the table. But wherever we eat it, it is always a proper roast-type Sunday dinner.

Abigail
14-04-2008, 18:26
Since my sister left home my parents and I just seem to do our own thing. We rarely see each other long enough to talk about more than the weather. Sunday dinner at the table is usually in silence as well.

Like Parkerman, we eat at the table when my sister and her boyfriend come for tea but thats pretty rare these days.

Perdita
14-04-2008, 20:58
Since my sister left home my parents and I just seem to do our own thing. We rarely see each other long enough to talk about more than the weather. Sunday dinner at the table is usually in silence as well.

Like Parkerman, we eat at the table when my sister and her boyfriend come for tea but thats pretty rare these days.

Perhaps you could start a conversation by telling your parents how your day was, the way you tell us? What you enjoyed and what you did not, unless silence is what you all prefer.

Katy
14-04-2008, 21:03
we don't tend to have sunday dinner at home as Sunday is the day we all Sail and go out so arent usually at home, but we sometimes have one at night. We do tend to sit together though.

At uni it has become a bit of a tradition to make a roast. Our kitchen is lke Masterchef gone wrong on Sundays, one person is nominated meat, another potatoes etc, its really nice.

CrazyLea
14-04-2008, 21:07
I still have Sunday dinners every Sunday.. but they've kinda lost their sparkle.. cause we have them in the week too. For example we're having a roast chicken dinner tomorrow. Not that I'm complaining I love them.

We don't eat around the table together either. Only time we do is on Christmas Day. I eat while on the computer (although that's frowned upon, they don't seem to try too hard to stop me :p), sister down by the tv on the table, and mum and dad together in the kitchen on the table. :D

Kim
14-04-2008, 22:16

Me too! We don't do Sunday dinners because my dad always goes to golf on a Sunday now (he's got a Platinum membership to a golf club which is like £800 a year.) Total waste if you ask me. I missed the dinners so my mum does me these Iceland ones that come in a box for like £1.50. I haven't had many lately though. We have roast dinner at Christmas :lol:

Abigail
14-04-2008, 22:40

Perhaps you could start a conversation by telling your parents how your day was, the way you tell us? What you enjoyed and what you did not, unless silence is what you all prefer.

I prefer silence to at least an hour of my mother waffling on about what next door's cat did two days ago. Live with my mum for long enough and you'll learn what to avoid saying if you can't be bothered to talk. She does it all for me :rotfl:

My dad and I never really talk anyway, its how its always been. He doesn't really talk to my mum either, it usually ends in her shouting at him for something he didn't do :rotfl:

StarsOfCCTV
14-04-2008, 23:45
I prefer silence to at least an hour of my mother waffling on about what next door's cat did two days ago. Live with my mum for long enough and you'll learn what to avoid saying if you can't be bothered to talk. She does it all for me :rotfl:

My dad and I never really talk anyway, its how its always been. He doesn't really talk to my mum either, it usually ends in her shouting at him for something he didn't do :rotfl:

Same! :lol:

The only good times are when other people come round for dinner. Then it's like wow dinner conversation this is what it's like :lol:

pookie1968uk
15-04-2008, 15:45
we often have a roast dinner on a sunday but not always. we sometimes have one in the week aswell as or instead of sunday. we nearly alway eat together though, even in the week, even if it is on our knees in front of the tv!

Behemoth
15-04-2008, 19:05
I do when I can! Love roasties :D

Abbie
16-04-2008, 19:59
I sometimes have one every few weeks, a random day in the week if I go to the pub for lunch at college :p

moonstorm
17-04-2008, 08:59
We always sit down to a Sunday dinner, as it our favourite and I think it is important to eat to together at least once a week. Mind you we have to have a break in the summer as it is just too hot to stand in the kitchen and cook one.

Hollie-x
17-04-2008, 09:22
We sit down together at the table everynight which I don't mind really. Sometimes my Dad is away (he's a HGV driver and soetimes doesn't have enough driving time to get home) so it's just me Mum younger sister and brother. But we usually have a Sunday dinner. But with me being vegetarian, I normally have something from the Quorn range as my 'meat' but still eat the roasties and other stuff ; ]

Emma-Lou
19-04-2008, 19:32
We never have Sunday dinner and sit together i think because i am an only child so there is only 3 of us it would be rather boring.Ocassionally on Sunsay we have a joint of something but we still don't eat it together.During the week we all eat at different times and i eat in the living room

Chloe O'brien
19-04-2008, 23:44
We never have Sunday dinner and sit together i think because i am an only child so there is only 3 of us it would be rather boring.Ocassionally on Sunsay we have a joint of something but we still don't eat it together.During the week we all eat at different times and i eat in the living room

Aw Emma it doesn't matter the size of the family. There is only two of us in our house and we still sit at the table and eat and chat.

Emma-Lou
20-04-2008, 20:07

Aw Emma it doesn't matter the size of the family. There is only two of us in our house and we still sit at the table and eat and chat.

Yeah i supose that is true we should just make more of an effort i would be weird if we started now but when people come over we all sit together but that never happens to be Sundays.

Perdita
21-04-2008, 08:10

Yeah i supose that is true we should just make more of an effort i would be weird if we started now but when people come over we all sit together but that never happens to be Sundays.

You could perhaps suggest this and be pleasantly surprised at the reaction of the other family members. They might think that nobody is bothered so they don't want to mention this themselves. :hmm:

Emma-Lou
21-04-2008, 20:33

You could perhaps suggest this and be pleasantly surprised at the reaction of the other family members. They might think that nobody is bothered so they don't want to mention this themselves. :hmm:

Yeah i should they will proberly faint from the shock lol.Will mention it and mabye we can start when my dad finnishes night shift.

Perdita
22-04-2008, 06:25

Yeah i should they will proberly faint from the shock lol.Will mention it and mabye we can start when my dad finnishes night shift.

If you want to, you might let us know how it went please? I would be interested to see whether my theory is right :lol:

Emma-Lou
24-04-2008, 21:25
I spoke to my parents the other night about it and i was right they were rather shocked but we are going to have a Sunday dinner when my dad finnished night shift but that is going to be another couple of weeks and see how it goes from there.Thanks for your advice Perdita :)

Perdita
25-04-2008, 06:14
I spoke to my parents the other night about it and i was right they were rather shocked but we are going to have a Sunday dinner when my dad finnished night shift but that is going to be another couple of weeks and see how it goes from there.Thanks for your advice Perdita :)

You are welcome, hun. I hope it is a great experience and that your family will do this more often in future.

N+icole
12-05-2008, 22:01
Love my sunday dinners :D dad makes them so yummy!

sindydoll
20-05-2008, 22:45
i havnt had a sunday dinner for months and the last time we had sunday dinner i went posh and cracked open a bottle of wine :lol:

DaVeyWaVey
11-08-2008, 19:18
I have a Sunday dinner every Sunday - really makes 'Sunday' for me. :p I love it.

HoneyBee
31-08-2008, 18:57
I have a sunday dinner every other Sunday because I usually forget to buy chicken and roasties on a weekly basis.