PDA

View Full Version : Ponies and donkeys - returned to farm

StarsOfCCTV
10-04-2008, 22:41
(Erm....I've no idea how I posted this thread twice :searchme: :o Sorry :p)

How can this be allowed to happen? :angry:

A COURT today ordered that 29 donkeys and ponies should be returned to a family accused of causing unnecessary suffering to more than 100 equines in their care.
James John Gray, 44, Julie Gray, 40, Cordelia Gray, 19, and Jodie Gray, 25, deny 12 charges in relation to 125 animals which were rescued by RSPCA officers from their farm in Amersham, Buckinghamshire in January this year.
Oxford Magistrates Court today heard that the family, of Spindle Farm, Hyde Heath consider some of the donkeys and Shetland ponies to be family pets and wanted to keep them.
Deputy District Judge Sandeep Kainth agreed to return the pets to the family but rejected their application to have the remaining 82 animals returned.
These animals will instead be sold at auction in May in Warwickshire.
The RSPCA had argued that it should be allowed to oversee the rehoming of the animals in order to safeguard their future welfare. But Judge Kainth said the donkeys and Shetland ponies had to be returned to the Grays, “as there is no evidence to show they are in any danger”.
RSPCA inspector Kirsty Hampton said the decision to return the horses to the Grays was “devastating”.
She added: “We had hoped that the court would ask us to seek new owners for them who were guaranteed to provide for their future welfare. An open sale to an unknown bidder means that we cannot be sure of the level of future care they will receive. Hopefully they will be bought by people who will properly care for them into old age.”
The Gray family, and a 15-year-old boy who cannot be named for legal reasons, also today pleaded not guilty to the charges they face of causing unnecessary suffering to and failing to meet the welfare needs of a total of 125 equines, removed between January 4 and 12 2007.
The case was adjourned until April 28 when it will be heard at the same court.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/01_02/001Horse_468x312.jpg
Starving and bedraggled: A horse that survived the farm hell. Twenty eight others were not so lucky

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/01_02/skinny090108INS_468x694.jpg Last legs: A skinny, weak horse is tended by a member of the RSPCA after it was rescued from Spindles Farm

Abigail
10-04-2008, 22:44
I don't know how people can do this to animals.

If these were children then the courts would have a lot to say but because they're animals - and seen as inferior by some people - then its a different story.

The RSPCA do a great job but the courts have undermined it in this case :thumbsdow

Perdita
11-04-2008, 06:28
I don't know how people can do this to animals.

If these were children then the courts would have a lot to say but because they're animals - and seen as inferior by some people - then its a different story.

The RSPCA do a great job but the courts have undermined it in this case :thumbsdow

Could not agree more, sure the judge has condemned those animals to more cruelty and a slow death from which they had a brief respite :crying: Wish the RSPCA could appeal against this decision.

Abbie
11-04-2008, 20:36
I dont understand how people could do that to animals either.
This is one of the reasons I want to study animal welfare/zoology