PDA

View Full Version : The Music From Skins

Bryan
09-03-2008, 18:36
For those that watch Skins, you know that music plays an important part in the show. Such a wide range of genres are featured, and mostly by unknown artists, so here is a list of the songs/artists featured in every episode!

Bryan
09-03-2008, 18:38
Trailer Music is "Standing in the Way of Control (Soulwax Nite Version)" by The Gossip.
Opening Credits is Skins is by Fat Segal.

Episode 1.1 "Tony"

* The first song to be played is "Right Thurr" by Chingy
* The second song to be played is "As Serious as Your Life" by Four Tet
* At his audition, Tony sings "On the Street Where You Live" from My Fair Lady
* During the party, MC Hugo plays "Drop Ya Thangs" by JT the Bigga Figga featuring The Game
* The MC also plays Star Guitar by the The Chemical Brothers
* The track played at Maxxie's "Big Gay Night" was "All Around The World" by Lisa Stansfield
* When Chris, Maxxie and Anwar arrive at the party, the track playing is "Monkey Ska" by Derrick Harriott
* When a fight kicks off at the party, the song playing is "Totally Wired", by The Fall
* The final song before the credits is "Flesh and Bone" by Brendan Benson
* Playing during the end credits is "Witness (1 Hope)" by Roots Manuva
* The song when Chris is mashed in his own episode is "Prince Charming" by "Adam And The Ants"

Episode 1.2 "Cassie"

* The song playing as Cassie wakes up and wanders round the house is "Cody" by Mogwai, from the album Come On Die Young.
* The track played as the gang run away from Michelle's house is "Right Place, Wrong Time" by Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.
* The song playing while Cassie is in the taxi is "Move Bitch" by Ludacris featuring MystikalI-20. and
* While Cassie is walking along the corridor peering out of the window, the track being played is "Aht Uh Mu Hed" by Shuggie Otis.
* While Cassie is running away from Sid, "This Day" by The Sleepy Jackson is playing.
* The song playing during the final credits is "Atlantis" by Donovan.

Episode 1.3 "Jal"

* The piece played at the start by the orchestra is "Rhapsody in Blue" by George Gershwin
* The track played after the performing groups' act goes wrong is "Original Nuttah" by Shy FX with UK Apache
* The song playing during the final credits is "Prince Charming" by Adam and the Ants

Episode 1.4 "Chris"

* Near the start of the episode "Prince Charming" by Adam and the Ants was played, which was also used in the previous episode
* Prior to the slow dancing scene, "Hey Boy, Hey Girl" by The Chemical Brothers was being played
* The song playing while Chris and Angie were slow dancing was "Up Where We Belong" by Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes
* While Chris is walking down the street nude after being locked out of his house, the song playing is "Wigwam" by Bob Dylan
* The song playing while Chris and Sid are leaving 'We Buy Anything' shop is "Hocus Pocus" by Focus
* The song at the end of the episode (when Chris is in the school bedroom) is "Do It All Over Again" by Spiritualized

Episode 1.5 "Sid"

* The first song to be played is "Grunge Betty" by The Dandy Warhols, when Sid is watching the neighbours
* When Sid is wanking off to a picture of Michelle, "Underwear" by The Magnetic Fields is playing
* The track playing while Sid is looking for a t-shirt to wear for the choir concert is "Date With The Night" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs
* The song that Tony and Abigail sing with the choir is "God Only Knows" by The Beach Boys
* Sung shortly afterwards by a smaller boys' choir was the traditional hymn, "Little David, Play On Your Harp"
* In the backroom, the song that Abigail sings to Tony is "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler
* When Sid receives news that he's failed more of his coursework, the song playing is "Main Offender" by The Hives
* When Sid is on the phone to Michelle, arranging to meet up with her, the song playing is "Old Fashioned Morphine" by Jolie Holland
* When Michelle and Sid are slow dancing the track playing is "Hell Is Around The Corner" by Tricky vs. Gravediggaz
* After the argument between Sid and his dad, the song playing is "Be Cool, Be Nice" by St. Thomas
* The track which Sid's phone rings to when Tony gives him a call is "Singing In The Rain"
* During the end credits, the song being played is "You Look Great When I'm High" by The Brian Jonestown Massacre

Episode 6 " Maxxie/Anwar

* The song playing when Chris tells Angie he can't sleep is 'The Crane Wife 3' by The Decemberists.
* "Get Your Snack On" by Amon Tobin
* "Verbal" by Amon Tobin
* The song playing when Sid and Anwar break into Anka's house is 'Positive Tension' by Bloc Party, taken from their debut album Silent Alarm.
* The song playing when Anka is chopping wood is called Korobeiniki and Kalinka, a well known Russian folk song, is sung by Michelle, Jal and the armed forces in the bar.
* The song that plays at the end of the episode is a rework of "Gadje Sirba by A Hawk and a Hacksaw". There is also another instance in the episode where a Hawk and a Hacksaw song is used
* "Broken Boy Soldiers" by The Raconteurs
* "Hello again" by Neil Diamond

Episode 1.7 "Michelle"

* "Kapsburger" by Clogs
* "Red Hot Mama" by Parliament
* "Tender to the Blues" by James Yorkston
* "The One You Really Love" by The Magnetic Fields
* "Dart For My Sweetheart" by Archie Bronson Outfit
* "Black Swan" by Thom Yorke
* "May You Never" by John Martyn
* "First Day of My Life" by Bright Eyes

Episode 1.8 "Effy"

* "For Lovers" by Pete Doherty and Wolfman
* "Keep Loving Me" by The Draytones
* "0800 Dub" by Skream
* "Knife" by Grizzly Bear (band)
* "On A Neck, On A Spit" by Grizzly Bear (band)
* "Reprise" by Grizzly Bear (band)
* "Dragonfly" by M. Craft
* "Tapped" by Skream
* "Ancient Delay" by Wolf Eyes
* "Under Me Sensi" by Barrington Levy
* "Close your eyes" by Micah P. Hinson
* "Sheepdog" by Mando Diao

Episode 1.9 "Season Finale"
* The first song is "I've Been So Lonely For So Long" by Frederick Knight
* The song played when Sid gets dressed and leaves the house is "You Can't Hurry Love" by The Concretes
* The song when Angie and Chris talk on the phone is "Sky Holds The Sun" by The Bees
* The song that plays at the beginning of Anwar's party is "Happy Birthday" by Altered Images
* The first song Anwar's Uncle plays is "Live Is Life" by Opus
* The secong song Anwar's Uncle plays is "Bat Out Of Hell" by Meat Loaf
* The song that plays when Cassie and the girl are in the cab is "It's All Over" by The Broken Family Band
* The third song that Anwars Uncle plays (When Anwar talks the the fit girl) is "Everything Changes But You" by Take That
* The fourth song Anwars Uncle plays (right after the last song) is "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith
* The fifth song Anwars Uncle plays (after the cousin from Pakistan joke) is"Give a little bit" by Supertramp
* The sixth song Anwars Uncle plays (When Anwar rings Maxxie) is"We Built This City" by Starship
* The seventh song Anwars Uncle plays (When Tony and Sid arrive) is "The Final Countdown" by Europe
* The song that Kenneth plays is "POW" by Lethal Bizzle
* The song that plays after Chris "proposes" to Angie is "True Love Ways" by Buddy Holly
* The song that plays right at the end that the cast sing is "Wild World" by The Skins Cast / Cat Stevens

Bryan
09-03-2008, 18:39
Episode 2.1 - Tony & Maxxie

.S. Bach – Trocatta and Fogue in D Minor

We thought we’d try to trick you and begin the new series with some organ music so you’d think Tony had died. Most of you probably already knew this wasn’t the case, but the track works as a nice introduction to the next track…

Segal – Maxxie Dance

download

Skins composer Fat Segal gave us this exclusive track to begin series two. Showing a clear influence by the 2006/7 era of Dubstep wobble bass mixed with the ‘double time’ rhythms of classic Darkside Jungle acts like Goldie’s Rufige Cru Fat Segal is surely going to be very big very soon.

Grizzly Bear - Knife

download

Arguably the standout track from their Warp Warp debut Yellow House I feel that Knife is the only track that could perfectly illustrate the emerging friendship between Maxxie and Tony. Moving on from the lo-fi influence of The Microphones, Grizzly Bear take in Neil Young and Mercury Rev influences for this incredible track.

These Animal Men – Flawed is Beautiful

These Animal Men are a band people should check out if they like the early Manic Street Preacher stuff. Since the end of the last series it’s not just Tony whose had bad experiences, Sid’s lost his best friend and his girlfriend. This track’s used to show the anger that both Tony and Sid have pent up.

Julian Ronnie – Dog Dance

Bill Bailey and his dog dancing to country and western? Never would I have thought that this would be a part of Skins’ music but it strangely works.

Johnny Cash – Folsom Prison Blues

Maxxie and his Dad have just had an argument, they may appear different on the surface but when you think about it they’re remarkably similar. Maxxie’s clearly nicked one of his Dad’s records and is playing it to make himself feel better.

Day One – Bad Before Good

download

Skins like to emphasise its Bristol roots and Day One were one of the bands to come out of its Trip-Hop scene, following in the footsteps of Portishead and Massive Attack to a wider following. They’re now signed to One Little Indian and released their last album in the autumn. Taking in newer jazz influences Maxxie dances to this track to let out all of his frustrations after a hard day as well as to prepare for the excitement of the Warehouse Party.

Posh Kenneth aka MC Toby Welch (prod by CDK) – In Her Face

Posh Kenneth takes the rave by storm as he takes on his MC Toby Welch alias to spit his favourite bars whilst girls hang off his arms.

DJ Shadow’s – Organ Donor/Artifact

DJ Shadow’s revolutionary take on instrumental hip-hop in the late 90s still sounds important ten years later. Since then he has immersed himself in the north Californian ‘Hyphy’ scene for his album The Outsider to produce tracks such as Artifact.

Tunng – Engine Room

I’m a big fan of stuff like Tunng, The Books and stuff that comes out on labels like Leaf. We use this track to take a bit of a breath from the rave as we see Tony getting ready to leave the house.

Segal – Maxxie dance (reprise)

Once again we use Segal’s track as Maxxie runs away from the council estate bullies.

Feist – Limit To Your Love

After taking a key role in the Broken Social Scene and Peaches albums from a few years back, Feist has moved on from her indie and electroclash background to write traditional great pop songs.

Asobi Seksu – Thursday

Asobi Seksu give legendary shoegaze acts like My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive a sugar-y pop update showing a clear influence by Shibuya-kei acts such as Cibo Matto and The Pizzicato Five. This ends the episode on an upbeat note as Tony has taken yet another step to recovery.

Bryan
09-03-2008, 18:40
Episode 2.2 - Sketch

Aqualung – Good Times Gonna Come

SkinsLife head honcho Toby loves Aqualung almost as much as he loves pink shirts. This track plays like an AOR interpretation of post-Mogwai Post-Rock when Post-Rock became all about crescendos and nothing else. However, it suits the mood of this episode and works well as a soundtrack to Sketch acting weird around Maxxie, so two thumbs up to Aqualung from me.

LCD Soundsystem – North American Scum

Fancy dress parties are always awful, especially if they’re full of drama students. To coincide with the ‘Osama the Musical’ theme, drama teacher, Bruce (Shane Ritchie) has chosen the rather topical North American Scum to show he’s hip to what the kids are listening to nowadays.

Robert Palmer – Addicted To Love

Sonic Youth, under the guise of Ciccone Youth, covered this track in the 1980s. I actually quite like the original as well, even though it has some horrible connotations attached to it. I won’t say what they are but you know what I mean and we exploit them to the max (Thanks go to my mum, Gillian, who introduced me to music like this!). Elsewhere at the party we play a few of Fat Segal's party tracks. The guy’s so prolific, he just won’t stop composing amazing tracks for us.

Laura Cantrell – Bees

Laura Cantrell is one of Skins’ favourite female singer-songwriters. You should really check out her debut album 'Humming by the Flowered Vine', which contains this track. There’s another country-ish, American singer songwriter called Miranda Lambert who you should also check out if you like this kind of stuff.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Spread Your Love

The Jesus and Mary Chain are a particular favourite of mine and BRMC follow their blueprint very closely. Sketch has just spent the night with Maxxie. Well, sort of. BRMC soundtrack her waking up and once again recounting Maxxie’s morning routine.

The Kills – **** The People

More classic indie rock from my youth that got me into all of the good stuff from twenty years ago. If you like this you really should check out Royal Trux.

Oneida – All Arounder

Oneida are cool. They’re one of my favourite guitar bands and need more exposure. They should be bigger than everyone else in the episode but they’re not. Buy all of their albums (there are only 8) from Jagjaguwar and you’ll see why Oneida are one of the best indie bands around.

Julian Ronnie – Osama The Musical

Fat Segal has been hogging all of the glory recently but Skins also has another composer - Julian Ronnie - who wrote the whole musical. He has very kindly let us stream it this week, so be nice and don't nick it!

Today

The opening track to the musical and Maxxie’s chance to shine, that is until Sketch interrupts.

Boogie Woogie Bagel Boy

There’s very little we actually hear of this track, but it hints at some absolute genius on Julian’s behalf; bagels are dancing, the stock market’s rising and everything seems fine. Until the plane hits...

Then Came The Day

The concluding track to a rather fantastic musical; i’ve never been to Grease, Cats or Blood Brothers, but Osama the Musical is the best musical I’ve ever seen. Hands down. This track WILL stick in your head. Probably for ever...

Cat Power – Hate

When we said Laura Cantrell was one of our favourite singer-songwriters, it’s because Cat Power’s our favourite. This track is taken from her 2006 album 'The Greatest' and it pretty much sums up the entire episode in every possible way. For me, this is the stand out track, not just of the episode, but the series so far.

Bryan
09-03-2008, 18:40
Episode 2.3 - Sid

Lyrics Born – I Changed My Mind
Sid’s a geeky, middle class teenager so it’s only natural that he’d be into indie hip-hop. Lyrics Born follows in that whole indie hip-hop tradition where turntablism is deemed an art-form, crate-digging is an actual verb and people run scared of the developments in hip-hop since Wu-Tang's first album. I feel it really grates after a while. However if you’re into checking out some more stuff Cage is my favourite; he was dissed on the first Eminem album and everything.

Sigur Ros – Takk
Dan Gethic: "I really wanted Sigur Ros in both Episodes 3 and 4. Although Sigur Ros is a fairly well established band now, I feel that there was no other band of choice for the moments used."

Dan Gethic (one of the show's editors) loves Sigur Ros more than anything in the world. If it were up to him Skins would be entirely soundtracked by Sigur Ros. Usually we are able to convince him otherwise, but here, finally, is an episode where it works. (Note: Dan claims he also likes reggae and acid house so what I wrote may not be entirely true).

Fat Segal – 85069896
Everyone’s favourite, Fat Segal, shows his versatility with an ambient composition recalling bands such as Stars of the Lid and Pan Sonic. We use this a lot throughout the episode. It’s pretty amazing what our Fat Segal is capable of and who knows he may write an indie pop song for us next...

The Hats – Skillers
The Hats are getting quite big on the Bristol music scene. So big in fact that they scored a support slot for the fantastic Crystal Castles. The Hats have started recording their second E.P. entitled 'Big in Malta' which you'll be able to hear from March 22nd on their website.

Crystal Castles – Alice Practice
Crystal Castles are one of the best live bands around at the moment so it's absolutely amazing to have them in the show. Their remix of The Klaxons’ ‘Atlantis to Interzone’ is brilliant live and this (their first single) is the stand out track on their forthcoming debut album. Check out the single on Trouble Records. (We're trying to get an exclusive stream of the track as we speak, so watch this space...)

Sigur Ros – Untitled
Yet again Dan was able to use his favourite band. This from before they signed to a major label and got really predictable.

Ryan Adams – Come Pick Me Up
If Wilco are the experimentalists within alt-country Ryan Adams would be considered the garage rocker. After the emotional turmoil of this rather amazing episode Sid refuses to let himself be down and he goes to get Cassie back to the sound of Adams’ upbeat, alt-country.

Bryan
09-03-2008, 18:43
Episode 2.4 - Michelle

Spektrum – Kinda New

Spektrum are cool. Ricardo Villalobos remixed their track ‘Freakbox’ which is basically the ultimate seal of approval as far as I’m concerned. ‘Kinda New’ is a great way to kick off what is in my opinion the episode with the best music yet.

Tony sings Mousse T's ‘Horny’

Tony seems a bit of an idiot when he sings this song. But more importantly what’s the name of that song that he sings in ‘About a Boy’? That was pretty cool. Answers on a postcard, please.

Sigur Ros - Untitled

See the episode 3 music guide for our editor Dan “The Butcher” Gethic’s explanation as to why we use Sigur Ros in the episode.

Gravenhurst – Hollow Man

Like I’ve said many times before I’m quite bored of most guitar music, Gravenhurst, however, are another exception. This is from their last album called ‘The Western Lands’. If you’re really into this band you should also check out the ‘Fire in Distant Buildings’ album, it included a rather amazing Kinks cover, a feat that hasn’t been achieved since The Raincoats covered ‘Lola’ and that was in the early 80s. All of their albums are available from Warpmart.

Once inside Michelle’s Step-Dad’s house you should check out the really bad jazz that is playing. It’s from a library CD called Audio Networks (they sell music to the telly) for all of you obsessives out there...

Klezma Villanova - Dancing Bear

Klezma Villanova are an upcoming band from Twickenham. Influenced by Ska/Metal/Klezma and Punk they're sure to get big soon so check out their myspace for more info. We also have some extra tracks of theirs for you to listen to, this one's called 'Swashbuckle for Honeysuckle':

Electrelane - At Sea

Electrelane’s break up at the end of last year was **** news as they’ve been a favourite of mine for ages. Their live shows were getting better all the time and ‘No Shouts, No Calls’ was one of last year’s best albums. This is the first of two tracks that we use from the album.

Beach House – Auburn and Ivory

You know how I just said Electrelane made one of my favourite albums of last year?

Well, Beach House’s eponymous debut was also one of the best. We use three tracks from this album in the episode and they're all streamable here on Skinslife. They’re releasing their second album soon on the very cool Car Park Records.

Henry Mancini – Lujon

Something classical. Not really sure to be honest. Google it...

Pavement – Rope and Carrot

Pavement are the ultimate indie band. If you haven’t developed a mild obsession with them there's little chance you're be a proper music geek (which is perhaps a good thing, it's hard work...) Also lead singer Stephen Malkmus’ solo track ‘Pink India’ namedrops the wonderful city of Stoke-on-Trent, which is something that I’ll always be thankful for. They see us up to half time...

Electrelane - In Berlin

More of the amazing Electrelane to begin the third part of the show. They’re playing on the radio in the car. I’ve no idea which character chose it but my money’s on Anwar, he’s always been the coolest.

Arcade Fire – keep the car running

Arcade Fire are the world’s biggest indie band. It was only a matter of time before they were featured in Skins. Also check the rather literal title; 'Keep the car running' whilst they're driving in a car, geddit?

Animal Collective – Fireworks

Animal Collective are easily one of the best bands of the decade. I don’t know anyone who’d think otherwise and when I played them to the episode’s editor, Dan ‘The Butcher’ Gethic, he got very excited and decided that maybe Sigur Ros weren’t needed for this scene. This is taken from their seventh album Strawberry Jam, which is available from Domino Records. Look out for more Animal Collective tracks in later episodes.

Beach House - House on the Hill

Once again we use Beach House.

Battles – Atlas

Wow, this episode’s music list almost reads like a list of the best songs of last year. This is taken from Battles’ excellent debut ‘Mirrored’ from arguably Skins’ favourite label Warp records. You should buy the album as well as their EP's from Warpmart.

Scarlett and Sketch – If you’re not the one

This is by far my favourite sappy song ever. If I didn’t have a **** singing voice, this would be my karaoke song of choice. Daniel Bedingfield has kinda disappeared since this song, but who cares; it's great.

Beach House - Childhood

Yet again, we use Beach House.

Sigur Ros - Untitled

Dan gets his way again as we use Sigur Ros for the fourth time in two episodes...

XTC – Stupidly Happy

XTC came from the poppier side of Post-Punk, whilst bands like Pil and The Pop Group were pushing boundaries XTC were content to sit back and make classic guitar pop.

The Stranglers – Skins Deep

I've absolutely no idea about The Stranglers. My original plan was to let the episode's editor take you through it. However he's a busy man and he couldn't do it. So i called my mum, Gillian - all she said was that they dressed in black and were a punk band. Oh well. Maybe Dan may be less busy in the week and be able to tell us something about them and why they're in the show.

Abigail
09-03-2008, 20:57
Gosh, I didn't realise there was that much music in the episodes.

Abbie
10-03-2008, 21:35
The song that was on the advert for sereies 2 was on radio 1 earlier