PDA

View Full Version : Rock Rivals

Perdita
26-02-2008, 15:37
As you'd expect from the makers of Footballers' Wives and Bad Girls, Rock Rivals is big and bold - though a lot less camp than its predecessors. It stars Michelle Collins and Sean Gallagher as Karina and Mal Faith, talent show judges whose disintegrating marriage is played out through on-screen bickering - the desire for their prodigy to win the show is just another front in their personal battle. And while the "grown-ups" fight, the young contestants frolic, showing off their pretty faces, nubile bodies and naked ambition. The result is an abundance of multi-generational storylines running together in a way that further illuminates the flaws of Echo Beach.

The characters are painted in broad strokes and have suitably daft names - Sundae Gorgeous or Angel Islington, anyone? - but crucially, they are characters whom we can cheer, or indeed boo - unlike those in The Palace. Indeed, Rock Rivals is the very antithesis of The Palace: there is nothing but Everymen and women here. Whether it's forbidden love blossoming between contestants or a pushy mother living vicariously through her troubled daughter, these are scenarios with which we are familiar and that awareness means there's emotional resonance. One of the things that makes good drama connect with an audience is the "what-if-it-were-me?" factor and Rock Rivals has it.

Crucially, the show is full of rewards - little moments that lift you. Watching it feels like a treat, not a chore. Can you say the same of Honest? Or BBC1's po-faced Mistresses? Rock Rivals is punctuated with humour that's sorely lacking in much contemporary drama.

Of course, it isn't without its faults. We're expected to believe Karina is a player in the music industry, but she seems strangely soft and naive. She provides one of those rewarding moments - involving a Ferrari and a swimming pool - but the character feels a bit inconsistent and the chemistry between Mal and Karina is a bit flat.

Unlike most British drama, there's almost too much story in the first episode. What should be major emotional moments - when Karina discovers her husband's infidelity or a tender exchange between two contestants - aren't given sufficient breathing space. Perhaps Rock Rivals' biggest fault is that its tendency to show off detracts from its emotional power.

And for multimillionaire record producers, there are an awful lot of Ikea lamps around their house. Still, after a run of disappointing dramas, ITV1's latest offering is a reason to be cheerful. And any show in which a vital part is played by an inflatable sex doll gets my vote - even if it threatens to act certain cast members off the screen.

Source: Guardian Unlimited

Can't wait :cheer:

Abbie
26-02-2008, 19:17
I love the adverts for this, I cant wait :D

Abi
26-02-2008, 19:38
Whens it starting?

Perdita
26-02-2008, 19:39
Next week. 5th March

Abbie
26-02-2008, 19:42
Next week. 5th March
Ooo Thats very soon, I think it should be good, its the their own channel kinda taking the mick out of the X factor in some respect

DaVeyWaVey
05-03-2008, 20:35
It starts in 25 minutes! I can't wait!

DaVeyWaVey
05-03-2008, 22:42
What did everyone think?

I absolutely loved it! It was definetly what I was expecting. I love the tension between Mal and Karina Faith, and that guy with the blow up doll - crazy and outrageous but truly brilliant!

Alison Newman put in a decent performance too playing Bethany's mum. I can't wait for next week. So outrageous and trashy, and so far away from reality, that I completely love it!

Was it just me or did you see some chemistry, a spark between Luke and that guy, Pete, who was looking after them at the house?

Abigail
06-03-2008, 11:44
X Factor judge, Louis Walsh has blasted ITV’s newest drama, Rock Rivals, saying the producers should have got more of an input from people who work talent shows in real life.

Walsh told The Mirror: “There’s far more drama on the X Factor in any week than there’s likely to be in this whole series. I was so excited when I sat down to watch it. I expected it to be great.

“I had spent a whole day on set doing a cameo and they cut me. I was annoyed, but now I’ve seen it I’m glad that I ended up on the cutting room floor. It could have been so funny and real but it isn’t.

“With the real thing you have more action, more drama and a lot more talent.

“They didn’t capture the tension and the drama on the show between the judges and the contestants - especially the judges.”

He added: “The research on this show was so poor. They should have called us.”

xxloopylauraxx
06-03-2008, 22:34
i thought it was hailrous. it was soo trashy it was great. i hope itv keep it apparently it didnt do 2 well ratings wise. i loved it it was cheesy, comical, great. I cant wait for next week. infact i cant wait to see who wins. and whats with the blow up doll and stalker?!

Chris_2k11
06-03-2008, 22:36
I wanted to see it but missed it :crying: is it repeated any time??

DaVeyWaVey
06-03-2008, 22:59
I think it's repeated on ITV2 tomorrow Chris? Better double check though..

Mr Maestro
07-03-2008, 00:44
Thought this was rubbish and I won't be watching the second episode

pookie1968uk
07-03-2008, 14:57
Rock Rivals Proves A Flop As It Makes TV Debut
Mar 7 2008
THE debut of ITV1 show Rock Rivals was beaten in the ratings by a repeat of BBC1's Traffic Cops.

The drama pulled in 3.9million viewers last night, while Traffic Cops had 4.1million.

Rivals is set behind the scenes of an X Factor-style show and stars Michelle Collins and Sean Gallagher as warring judges.

The series comes from the makers of Bad Girls and Footballers' Wives.

ITV hoped it would be a hit and a spokesman insisted: "This is a very strong start to the show."

StarsOfCCTV
07-03-2008, 21:15
If only ITV had a BBCiPlayer type thing then I might consider watching it :p I have to confess I was watching traffic cops :lol: Didn't know Rock rivals was on!

Jessie Wallace
07-03-2008, 22:34
ITV does have that Stars, it's called Catch up TV.

http://www.itv.com/Watchnow/CatchUp/default.html

StarsOfCCTV
08-03-2008, 12:27
Ooh they do? I never knew that :p Thanks :D I'll check it out

Bryan
09-03-2008, 18:33
what an absolute load of tosh! switched off after ten minutes! the quality of TV these days is ridiculous! Other than Skins I don't know why I pay for a TV Licence!

StarsOfCCTV
09-03-2008, 19:04
The only thing that kept me watching is I wanted to see if that girl was dead or not, it was like they put it in to make people keep watching. Not my kind of thing, rather watch love soup :p

xxloopylauraxx
12-03-2008, 21:58
i cant beleive how addicited i am already. that man under mal oh i cant believe he was soo nasty to lukes mum! and she dead!! how bad. i hope itv keep it on.

annette_tr9
12-03-2008, 22:26
it's awful, i only managed 30 mins of the first episode. stupidly i thought there maybe some good rock music in it

brenda1971
13-03-2008, 13:55
I used to love footballers wives but I am not impressed with this and wont be watching it again.

Chris_2k11
14-03-2008, 23:03
watched it on wednesday. tackfest lol and i dont think much of Michelle Collins in it either.

sindydoll
09-04-2008, 22:42
im so loving this programme it rocks :thumbsup:

xxloopylauraxx
10-04-2008, 13:37
i missed last weeks episode why has katrina lost her memory what happend? and is jinx really preganant? next weeks looks good. that bloke with the blow up doll of luke is weird. i doubt therell be another series but i hope they do do another one.

sindydoll
10-04-2008, 14:57
i missed last weeks episode why has katrina lost her memory what happend? and is jinx really preganant? next weeks looks good. that bloke with the blow up doll of luke is weird. i doubt therell be another series but i hope they do do another one.
mal knocked her down! and we dont know yet if jinx is preggers

*funky*monkey*
17-04-2008, 18:34
Wow! Did anyone see last nights? The Wedding?

I couldn't Believe it when the creepy stalker (sorry I don't know name) had his Mum's coffin in her old house! He really needs help!:lweek:

sindydoll
18-04-2008, 13:16

I couldn't Believe it when the creepy stalker (sorry I don't know name) had his Mum's coffin in her old house! He really needs help!:lweek:
he's loopy isn't he!! and when he was taking his blow up out and about especially in that restaurant :rotfl: :rotfl:

tammyy2j
18-04-2008, 14:13
great show :thumbsup: :cheer:

sindydoll
19-04-2008, 22:27
last one next week :(

lizann
23-04-2008, 13:55

I think the stalker is very funny :lol:

I hope Luke wins

sindydoll
23-04-2008, 22:18
oh no what a ending! do they survive:(

Chris_2k11
23-04-2008, 22:30
this show is mad, totally crazy!

tammyy2j
24-04-2008, 10:46
What a crap ending!

Luke should have won and Mal/Katrina got back together.

Will there be a second series????? Will the winner be releasing a single???????

sindydoll
24-04-2008, 22:54
What a crap ending!

Luke should have won and Mal/Katrina got back together.

Will there be a second series????? Will the winner be releasing a single???????
they certainly left it open for another series at the end!

Chris_2k11
24-04-2008, 23:25
I don't think this show has done any favours for Michelle Collins acting career at all.