PDA

View Full Version : Brit Award Winners 2008

lizann
21-02-2008, 09:51
In full: Brit Awards 2008 winners
Wednesday, February 20 2008, 21:41 GMT

By Nick Levine, Music Editor

Here is the full list of winners at this year's Brit Awards, held tonight at Earls Court in London.

British Male Solo Artist
Jamie T
Mark Ronson - WINNER!
Mika
Newton Faulkner
Richard Hawley

British Female Solo Artist
Bat For Lashes
Kate Nash - WINNER!
KT Tunstall
Leona Lewis
PJ Harvey

British Group
Arctic Monkeys - WINNER!
Editors
Girls Aloud
Kaiser Chiefs
Take That

British Album
Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare - WINNER!
Leona Lewis - Spirit
Mark Ronson - Version
Mika - Life In Cartoon Motion
Take That - Beautiful World

British Breakthrough Act
Bat For Lashes
Kate Nash
Klaxons
Leona Lewis
Mika - WINNER!

British Live Act
Arctic Monkeys
Kaiser Chiefs
Klaxons
Muse
Take That - WINNER!

British Single
Leona Lewis - 'Bleeding Love'
Mika - 'Grace Kelly'
Take That - 'Shine' - WINNER!
Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse - 'Valerie'
The Hoosiers - 'Worried About Ray'

International Male Solo Artist
Bruce Springsteen
Kanye West - WINNER!
Michael Bublé
Rufus Wainwright
Timbaland

International Female Solo Artist
Alicia Keys
Bjork
Feist
Kylie Minogue - WINNER!
Rihanna

International Group
Arcade Fire
Eagles
Foo Fighters - WINNER!
Kings of Leon
White Stripes

International Album
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Eagles - Long Road out of Eden
Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace - WINNER!
Kings of Leon - Because of the Times
Kylie Minogue - X

Critics' Choice Award
Adele

Outstanding Contribution Award
Sir Paul McCartney

Behemoth
21-02-2008, 11:33
:O

Bit of a shocker that Leona didn't win despite being nominated a lot.

*-Rooney-*
21-02-2008, 14:46
I was so glad Leona didnt win anything - I dont like her i think shes just another jumped up Mariah Carey

Siobhan
21-02-2008, 17:08
I was so glad Leona didnt win anything - I dont like her i think shes just another jumped up Mariah Carey

:clap::clap::clap: Well said.. she is not original at all

Perdita
21-02-2008, 17:11

Gosh, after the massive success she had with the public voting for her in X Factor I am surprised that there are people out there who don't like her. Well, as long as Leona does not start with the Diva attitude that is attributed to Mariah Carey, I would not call her jumped up. :p

Pinkbanana
21-02-2008, 17:21

Gosh, after the massive success she had with the public voting for her in X Factor I am surprised that there are people out there who don't like her. Well, as long as Leona does not start with the Diva attitude that is attributed to Mariah Carey, I would not call her jumped up. :p

I dont think you could say the majority of the british public were voting for her....there would have been a smallish selection of the population voting each a number of times for her....sooooo Im not at all surprised that there are quite a few people out there who dont particularly like her......

Perdita
21-02-2008, 17:43

I dont think you could say the majority of the british public were voting for her....there would have been a smallish selection of the population voting each a number of times for her....sooooo Im not at all surprised that there are quite a few people out there who dont particularly like her......

Ok,that could be possible too, I suppose. But give the girl a chance :)

Abigail
21-02-2008, 18:10
I don't think most of the winners deserved their awards. The Foo deffinately do, so much of their work is gone unnoticed in the mainstream music world.

Kate Nash, Artic Monkeys, Mark Ronson... none of them deserved a Brit in my opinion.

How did Adele get the critics' choice when she has only released one single that has been successful in the charts?

Pinkbanana
21-02-2008, 18:25

Where in my post wasnt I 'giving her a chance'??? :hmm: I was just pointing out that Im not surprised that there are people out there who dont like her....:)

DaVeyWaVey
21-02-2008, 18:35
I don't know how Kate Nash won an award...

Surprised Leona didn't get anything, but well done to Take That and Kylie - both very worthy winners!

*-Rooney-*
21-02-2008, 19:02
I agree I do think TT deserved to win those 2 awards

Perdita
21-02-2008, 19:50

Where in my post wasnt I 'giving her a chance'??? :hmm: I was just pointing out that Im not surprised that there are people out there who dont like her....:)

Woah, I am sorry if you and anybody else misunderstood my comment, I did not mean to offend, I personally just have not come across any criticism of Leona's and was a little4 surprised by your comments. I just think that she is only starting out and I think it is a little early to compare her with somebody that has been successfully performing for many years.

*-Rooney-*
21-02-2008, 19:54
I compared her to mariah carey (jumped up) because thats who she seems to think she is, and she has since she started the X Factor with her songs, movements. then the judges constantly comparing the 2,

Thats where I got the comparison. sorry if i offended anyone?

Wow i Only said i was glad she didnt win anything i didnt know i would start a whole debate :rotfl:

Perdita
21-02-2008, 20:12
I compared her to mariah carey (jumped up) because thats who she seems to think she is, and she has since she started the X Factor with her songs, movements. then the judges constantly comparing the 2,

Thats where I got the comparison. sorry if i offended anyone?

Wow i Only said i was glad she didnt win anything i didnt know i would start a whole debate :rotfl:

:lol: I did not know about the comparison, can watch X Factor only once in a while and probably do not pay as much attention to the judges comments as I should (probably a little tipsy seeing it is aired on a weekend). :lol: Mates again?

*-Rooney-*
21-02-2008, 20:18
yeah im sure it was simon who said it. he normally said things like "this girl is the next Mariah Carey"

Tannie
21-02-2008, 21:36
Shocked Leona didn't get any awards.
But Liked The Other Bands/ Solo Artists That Did Get Awards:Dx

Chris_2k11
21-02-2008, 22:12
What a list of unworthy winners :sick:

Kate Nash and Mika over Leona?! :sick: Kanye West over Timbaland?? :sick: Arctic Monkeys and Foo Fighters not one but two awards?? :searchme: :hmm: Shocking!

The only ones im truly happy about are Paul McCartney (thoroughly deserved of course and a great set of performances at the end) and Kylie Minogue (very well deserved after all shes been through and her new album has some potentially massive hits in the pipeline) I thought she looked great aswell last night btw. Mark Ronson deserved his award aswell although I wasn't really overly fussed who won in that category. Very predictable of Take That winning but i'll congratulate them anyway. Biggest disappointment of the night though has to be poor Leona being nominated for 4 awards and walking away with not a single one!! Especially after her amazing performance aswell. After all her hard work over the past year and a half she deserved atleast something :( Major disappointment there.

I enjoyed most of the performances on stage, even Mark Ronson and Amy Winehouse were ok although she did look a nervous wreck (understandable though)

All in all though a rather disappointing night for me.

Chris_2k11
21-02-2008, 22:20

:clap::clap::clap: Well said.. she is not original at allFair enough she may not be totally original but what singer is these days? Leona still has an amazing voice and her talents shouldn't be put to waste just because shes not original.

Behemoth
22-02-2008, 00:14
:O - what's with all the Leona bashing?! She has an amazing voice....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbuvLJnAysM

*-Rooney-*
22-02-2008, 00:16
to be fair everyone is entitled to their own opinion and obviously britian didnt agree

Behemoth
22-02-2008, 00:30
to be fair everyone is entitled to their own opinion and obviously britian didnt agree
For whatever reason, she may not be as popular as she was but she is one of the best technical singers of our time; on a par with Christina Aguilera.

*-Rooney-*
22-02-2008, 00:45
of our time shes only brought 1 song out (not counting kelly clarksons cover)

Behemoth
22-02-2008, 00:50
of our time shes only brought 1 song out (not counting kelly clarksons cover)
Yes, but you can only really judge a singers ability by listening to them perform live, like Leona did on the X Factor.

*-Rooney-*
22-02-2008, 00:56
we've only heard her sing like 15 songs - 20, a singer of all time is like whitney housten, tina turner, madonna.

When she starts to get her own sound and release more singles then she may actually be not bad but we need to hear a lot more of someone before we can say "a singer of all time" thats a bit presumptuous

Chris_2k11
22-02-2008, 01:00
of our time shes only brought 1 song out (not counting kelly clarksons cover)..and another two in a fortnight remember :)

*-Rooney-*
22-02-2008, 01:02
no?.....remind me!

Chris_2k11
22-02-2008, 01:07
Better In Time & Footprints In The Sand

Chris_2k11
22-02-2008, 01:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmUJGENbsAo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxr0c1k5cG0

*-Rooney-*
22-02-2008, 01:12
when exactly were these released because i or any one i know has not heard from them.

BIG HIT were they lol

Chris_2k11
22-02-2008, 01:18
in a fortnight . they haven't been released yet

*-Rooney-*
22-02-2008, 01:23
oh right ok sorry i thought u meant she brought 2 out in the space of a fortnight.

why is she bringing 2 out at once and wouldnt it have been better publicity to sing one of her new songs at the brits like she did with bleeding love at the x factor

Katy
22-02-2008, 09:41
i think that Take that definitly deserved there awards. I think that the brits is just something thats nice for those who win and get nominated. Its not important.

tammyy2j
22-02-2008, 16:04
I'm glad Foo Fighters, Mika and Take That won. All deserving.

Timbaland or Justin Timberlake should have got Best International Male instead of Kanye West in my opinion.

Was Alan Carr, Artic Monkeys, Vic Reeves and Sharon Osborne really drunk?

Perdita
22-02-2008, 16:08
I'm glad Foo Fighters, Mika and Take That won. All deserving.

Timbaland or Justin Timberlake should have got Best International Male instead of Kanye West in my opinion.

Was Alan Carr, Artic Monkeys, Vic Reeves and Sharon Osborne really drunk?
I think they were, at least that would give them an excuse for their appalling behaviour. If they were like this sober, what are they like with some booze inside them?

Abbie
22-02-2008, 17:43
Im sooo glad take that won, I think they were the only ones that got up on stage and I liked their speech

Ruffed_lemur
26-02-2008, 18:21

I was glad she didn't win anything too!

Ruffed_lemur
26-02-2008, 18:28
Pleased that Foo Fighters, Mika and Kylie won something. :)

Abbie
26-02-2008, 19:58
I think the Brits are a mess in recent years. I mean I look at some america adwards shows and they do they quite well, ours are just messy

Chris_2k11
26-02-2008, 21:47
I think the Brits are a mess in recent years. I mean I look at some america adwards shows and they do they quite well, ours are just messythey havent been the same in a while now, id probably even say as far back as the 90's. The Grammy's are a whole different ball game.

*-Rooney-*
26-02-2008, 21:58
yeah ur right, i remeber years ago u actually used to look forward to sitting down and watching it, nowadays its a case of "oh yeah thats on is it, if im in i might watch it"