PDA

View Full Version : legitimate music download sites

megan999
20-02-2008, 15:54
Can anyone recommend some legitimate music download sites? I have tried Woolworth's one but can't even get the song onto a blank cd cos of problems with the license (of the song). I have used itunes before but was wondering if there's any better websites? Thanks for your help :)

Abigail
20-02-2008, 18:24
The reason why you can't get some songs onto a blank cd is because of digital rights management (DRM). DRM is basically copywrite on electronic media, including downloads. If you look on the back of some DVDs it will say that it is copy protected. I think itunes are now selling some tunes without DRM.

Anyway, Tesco do downloads. They are DRM protected but the Q&A say that you can burn to a disc a number of times.

pookie1968uk
22-02-2008, 08:41
yes i have used tesco, and hmv, and i have used www.7digital.com several times but when i looked it wasnt working this morning.

megan999
22-02-2008, 18:27
So when you download a track from a website onto your computer, how does the DRM thing go with the track? I mean, I downloaded Apologize from Woolworths site - it plays on my Media Player, but it won't let me burn it cos of copyright - the DRM thing? I tried emailing Woolworth customer services but they said they can see my download was successful!

And Pookie, I had a look at the HMV website but all I could find was a jukebox thing for downloads, doesn't it let you download one by one?

pookie1968uk
23-02-2008, 20:58
if you go to hmv download site it lets you download singles, albums, or individual tracks off an album too. i have just took a look and you can join their jukebox for a monthly fee of £5.99 but i think you can still just buy the tracks in the normal way if you want.