PDA

View Full Version : trigger finger

Perdita
31-01-2008, 06:14
I need to have an operation on what is called a trigger finger, well, it is on my right thumb actually. Aparently the tendon which moves my thumb goes through a ring shaped sheath and has become too big. Therefore they will cut this sheath and the tendon should be moving ok again. I must admit I am bricking myself a bit because of the pain afterwards, my pain threshhold is about a quarter inch above the ground, :crying: Does anybody have any experience with this and how long was the recovery time afterwards? Would appreciate any info.

Abigail
31-01-2008, 11:59
From http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00024

Surgical Treatment
Trigger finger is not a dangerous condition. The decision whether to proceed with surgery is a personal one, based on how severe the symptoms are. If the finger is stuck in a bent position, surgery may be recommended to prevent permanent stiffness.

The goal of surgery is to widen the opening of the tunnel so that the tendon can slide through it more easily. This is usually done on an outpatient basis. The surgery is performed through a small incision in the palm or sometimes with the tip of a needle. Usually, the fingers can be moved immediately after surgery.

Some soreness in the palm is common, but elevating the hand after surgery can help reduce swelling and pain. Recovery is usually complete within a few weeks. If the finger was quite stiff before surgery, therapy may help loosen up the finger.

Perdita
31-01-2008, 15:45
I am still a scaredy cat. :sick:

Abbie
31-01-2008, 21:25
I am still a scaredy cat. :sick:

Awww I am too, but I hope everything goes alright :)

Abigail
31-01-2008, 22:31
Don't worry too much, the more you worry the more you'll wind yourself up about it and get scared. The doctor will give you as many painkillers as you need.

Just think, this operation and the pain is a temporary evil, within a few weeks you'll have a funtional thumb. Positive thinking is needed, the operation is a means to an end :)