PDA

View Full Version : Mamma Mia - The Movie

Footie_Chick
06-01-2008, 18:29
I'm so excited about this, roll on summer 2008. I saw the stage production of this last summer and was amazing and from this trailer it looks just as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EZjSAT40zA

"MAMMA MIA!" SYNOPSIS
Meryl Streep leads an all-star cast in the feature-film adaptation of the beloved musical that has been seen by more than 30 million people in 160 cities and 8 languages around the world. Bringing the timeless lyrics and melodies of iconic super group ABBA to movie audiences, Summer 2008 is the season for Mamma Mia!

The three women who created the worldwide smash stage hit—global producer Judy Craymer, writer Catherine Johnson and director Phyllida Lloyd—repeat their roles in bringing this joyful, musical story to the big screen. The Mamma Mia! film is produced by Judy Craymer and Gary Goetzman.

Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgård, Christine Baranski, Julie Walters, Amanda Seyfried and Dominic Cooper join Streep in this celebration of a mother, a daughter and three possible dads.

An independent, single mother who owns a small hotel on an idyllic Greek island, Donna (Streep) is about to let go of Sophie (Amanda Seyfried), the spirited daughter she’s raised alone. For Sophie’s wedding, Donna has invited her two lifelong best girlfriends—practical and no-nonsense Rosie (Julie Walters) and wealthy, multi-divorcee Tanya (Christine Baranski)—from her one-time backing band, Donna and the Dynamos. But Sophie has secretly invited three guests of her own.

On a quest to find the identity of her father to walk her down the aisle, she brings back three men from Donna’s past to the Mediterranean paradise they visited 20 years earlier. Over 24 chaotic, magical hours, new love will bloom and old romances will be rekindled on this lush island full of possibilities.

Inspired by the storytelling magic of ABBA’s songs from “Dancing Queen” and “S.O.S.” to “Money, Money, Money” and “Take a Chance on Me,” Mamma Mia! is a celebration of mothers and daughters, old friends and new family found.

Abbie
06-01-2008, 18:29
ooo Im excited, havent seen the show yet but still :D

pookie1968uk
06-01-2008, 19:06
this just looks brilliant and i cant wait for it to come out. the storyline looks great but even better with the abba music! i will be singing along!

Bryan
15-07-2008, 14:57
YouTube - The New Mamma Mia! Trailer

i cant wait to see this next week! heard a lot about it on tv/radio. it does look really bad, but i dont care becuase i love ABBA, it's worth going just to sing a long to all the songs. i've been in an ABBA mood for the past few days, just singing the songs around the house :lol:

Bryan
15-07-2008, 15:33
oh dear, just browsing youtube and came across this:

YouTube - MAMMA MIA! The Movie: S.O.S. (HQ)

Peirce Brosnan sounds awful!!! :lol:

Bryan
15-07-2008, 15:35
omg i never realised Julie Walters was in this! she's one of my favourite actresses ever!

YouTube - Mamma Mia! The Movie - Take A Chance On Me (video)

she looks great in this! laughed so much when I just saw this :rotfl:

Abbie
15-07-2008, 15:35
oh dear, just browsing youtube and came across this:

YouTube - MAMMA MIA! The Movie: S.O.S. (HQ) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hITSFgZTr4&feature=related)

Peirce Brosnan sounds awful!!! :lol:

:lol: Lol I heard that on the radio the other day

Hollie-x
15-07-2008, 15:38
Didn't realise until today that Amanda Seyfried from Mean Girls is in it! - The one who plays the really dumb girl.
Can't wait to go see it

Abbie
15-07-2008, 15:41
Didn't realise until today that Amanda Seyfried from Mean Girls is in it! - The one who plays the really dumb girl.
Can't wait to go see it

:eek: Omg really?

Bad Wolf
15-07-2008, 19:06
it. is. brilliant........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pinkles14
15-07-2008, 20:32
This looks really good.........

Bad Wolf
15-07-2008, 20:42
its brilliant, the only criticism is pirce brosnans singing, not quite up st scratch

lizann
15-07-2008, 20:44
I really enjoyed this movie great for summer

I'm singing Abba songs mad

Julie Walters was brillant

Abi
16-07-2008, 19:46
I loved this film. It was fab how they just burst into song, i couldn't stop laughing. Oh my days, Pierce Brosnan cannot sing at all, it was really funny. Julie Walters was brilliant especially when she sung "Take a chance on me".

Tannie
16-07-2008, 21:34
Saw this on friday and i'm going to see it again tomorrow cause it's amaing. Julie Walters is amazing actual didn't know who she was intill my gran told me once we had came out. But yeah going to go see it loads of times cause it's now my favourite film of the year :D

Bad Wolf
17-07-2008, 00:21
juie walters steals and runs off with every sceen she is in!

Katy
17-07-2008, 07:39
i not seen the film yet but i saw a documentary on ITV where they were showing how it got to film and how they filmed it and things and some of it looked grerat. Especially when Meryl Streep sings the Winner takes it all, which was done in one take,

tammyy2j
17-07-2008, 12:51
Brillant Film :cheer: :thumbsup:

All the performances were amazing (except Pierce's singing)

sindydoll
17-07-2008, 13:19
i would like to go n watch it

Bryan
23-07-2008, 18:32
saw it today! loved it! loved it! loved it! :cheer:

such a feel good movie! I can see this being my pick-me-up movie when i'm feeling ill or down, whack it on and it'll put a smile on my face.

Julie Walters was hilarious at the end when she chased than man to 'Take A Chance On Me' :lol:

Abbie
23-07-2008, 18:45
Oooo I saw this last week And forgot to post
I love it :p
I agree bryan, its such a feel good movie. I wanna see it again :) Loved all the songs and I have never laughed sooo much in one film :p
And I agree Julie Walters was hilarious :lol: 'Take a chance on me' was the funniest song :rotfl:

Bryan
23-07-2008, 18:48
I loved how all these random Greek people would just appear out of nowhere for every song. Like when Donna was on the roof and about a dozen of them just climbed up and poked their heads over! And when all them maids started singing in the kitchen :lol:

Abbie
23-07-2008, 18:49
:lol: Thats exactly was I loved about it!!!!! Me and my mate were like, loved the random Greek people!!!! :rotfl: I loved the men with the flippers as well :lol:

Katy
23-07-2008, 20:58
I'm going with the girls from work a week friday i can't wait. My mum and sister have seen it and said it was fab.

Johnny Allen
24-07-2008, 22:14
I don't like musicals and I don't like cheesy romantic films but I loved this, it felt like the biggest sugar rush ever, utterly loved it Julie Walters was brilliant, and the boys in the film were very game. Absolutely super trouper.

pookie1968uk
01-08-2008, 11:05
this was brilliant! this is a fun, summery, feel good movie and i dont think it matters whether the singing is great or average, it all adds to the fun of the film. well done to those who sang for being brave enough to!!

Katy
02-08-2008, 18:55
It was brilliant, i think the singing added to it, the fact that it wasnt perfect it was just so happy and everyone felt so good coming out the cinema. I hate abba, but i love the songs now after seeing it. I was really surprised at actually how much i enjoyed it!.

pookie1968uk
02-08-2008, 22:02
if you like the film, buy the soundtrack! its got all the songs on sung by the cast. as you are listening it makes you remember all those parts of the film! like we were saying oh that was the part where the men were dancing in their flippers!!

Abigail
02-08-2008, 23:00
I'm going to see this with my sister sometime in the next few weeks.

Katy
03-08-2008, 12:32
i agree about the soundtrack we downloaded it before. I just Love SOS and pierce Brosnan, "now your gone!" bit. Its great. Been dancing around to it tidying my room this morning.

pookie1968uk
28-08-2008, 20:01
dont know about in anyone elses cinemas but in our local ones mamma mia is still selling out. it is hard to get in to see it. we went yesterday to 2 different cinemas and it was full so we just had to go home. it is our 2nd time going to see it and i think so many people are going to see it again that it is full all the time.

CrazyLea
28-08-2008, 20:59
I agree with everyone. LOVE this movie!! So happy!!! I couldn't stop smiling :p.
Love the songs, the acting was really good too.
My favourite song was that one that goes "honey honey how he thrills me, ahaaaaaaa" :p
We keep listening to the soundtrack for the movie in work too :D. Chiquitita isn't on it though :hmm:.

Abigail
28-08-2008, 21:25
SOS with Pierce is amazing. He's not a great singer but he makes my heart flutter when he sings that song.

Great feel good movie, can't wait for the DVD to come out. I'm going to take my sister to London to see the show for her 21st.

Abbie
28-08-2008, 21:27
I] Chiquitita isn't on it though :hmm:.

I know :( I wonder why they didnt put it on

di marco
28-08-2008, 21:37
apparently theyre doing special singalong screenings in the cinemas now

di marco
28-08-2008, 21:38
Great feel good movie, can't wait for the DVD to come out. I'm going to take my sister to London to see the show for her 21st.

youll love the show in london, its amazing! still need to see the film though, might just wait til it comes out on dvd

Abigail
28-08-2008, 21:38
Yeah, there was a singalong show when we went last week. Didn't want to see it, I like to watch films in peace without people singing or talking.

di marco
28-08-2008, 21:40
Yeah, there was a singalong show when we went last week. Didn't want to see it, I like to watch films in peace without people singing or talking.

i agree, i dont mind singing along to films at home but if im at the cinema (especially if ive not seen the film before) i dont want other people singing over the top of it. i dont think singing along to films really works tbh

CrazyLea
28-08-2008, 21:52
Hahaa see I would love that :lol:. I sing all the time, and like people singing with me haha. So a singalong movie with some strangers would be well good fun! And a good way of meeting people I think :lol:. I'd laugh though.

Abbie
28-08-2008, 21:54
Lol it would be good fun for a laugh :lol:

Katy
29-08-2008, 07:42
my mum loves all thesingalong things shegoes with her friends and they dress up. Its all abit bizarre.

Bryan
29-08-2008, 07:50
if the sing alongs are still on when we're back at uni, no doubt we'll go along drunk for a laugh!

Chloe O'brien
30-08-2008, 00:27
Went to see it tonight and it was brilliant. The best film I have seen in a long-time even if it was really cheesy. We had the sing-a-long screening,which was great. I want to go again.

Bryan
30-08-2008, 20:18
Went to see it tonight and it was brilliant. The best film I have seen in a long-time even if it was really cheesy. We had the sing-a-long screening,which was great. I want to go again.

i agree it's such a refreshing film

it's fun, it's light-hearted, doesnt take itself too seriously, it's suitable for all, and it isn't violent, full of sex/swearing/drugs - it's just so unique and brilliant

i'll be first in the que to buy the DVD when it's released

Abbie
30-08-2008, 20:37
I'll be ordering it off the internet :p

Chloe O'brien
30-08-2008, 22:46
When we were leaving the cinema last night. Marley said that we have to buy the DVD when it comes out.

pookie1968uk
04-09-2008, 15:13
When we were leaving the cinema last night. Marley said that we have to buy the DVD when it comes out.

well i got to see this for a second time last night in a full cinema and loved it the second time just as much! just pre ordered the dvd which is out on 24th november! this will be in a lot of peoples christmas stockings!

Bryan
04-09-2008, 15:21

well i got to see this for a second time last night in a full cinema and loved it the second time just as much! just pre ordered the dvd which is out on 24th november! this will be in a lot of peoples christmas stockings!

it's definatly on my christmas list, along with Dark Knight and Sex And The City movie! :D

di marco
04-09-2008, 17:12
just pre ordered the dvd which is out on 24th november! this will be in a lot of peoples christmas stockings!

thats my sis bday lol! probably wont get this on dvd til after xmas as itll be a lot cheaper then :)

*-Rooney-*
29-09-2008, 21:11
I saw this movie in july and loved it, think since its still on at the cinemas and highly poopular it may be one of the biggest selling movies of "08", cant say that it makes sense to have a date to come out on sale in shops though when its still on in the pictures

Abbie
26-10-2008, 19:43
:eek: I still cant believe its still in the cinema

*-Rooney-*
27-10-2008, 00:32
i was just saying that to a friend today, i think this could be the biggest movie of 2008

pinkles14
27-10-2008, 12:28
It carnt be at the cinema for much longer as it comes out on Dvd on the 24 of November.....

Abbie
27-10-2008, 13:00
I think its already the biggest movie of the year the length its already been in the cinema

Bryan
27-10-2008, 19:44
Of course it's the biggest selling film of the year.

Radio 1 said its the second biggest selling film in the UK ever, behind Titanic.

tammyy2j
11-11-2008, 12:15
Its still doing so well in the box office :cheer:

When is DVD released please?

*-Rooney-*
11-11-2008, 12:24
november 24th

lizann
26-11-2008, 17:02
COMMERCIALS producer Wordley Production Partners has produced a TV spot for one of the biggest DVD releases of the year.

The Penarth-based company was commissioned by Universal Pictures UK to create a 60-second roadblock spot to launch the DVD release of Mamma Mia, which went on air for the first time on Saturday during ITV’s X Factor.

Mamma Mia is approaching Titanic’s record of the biggest movie ever in UK cinema history. Wordley’s commercial combines memorable moments from the blockbusting film combined with clips of people from all over the UK singing along to Mamma Mia and reliving their favourite scenes from the film.

Stars of the commercial include stall-holders at Cardiff Market, a tyre fitter from Hi Q tyres and a hair stylist from Jego salon in Llanishen, Cardiff.

Sarah Jones, the TV spot’s producer at Wordley, said: “Universal wanted to create a spot that really captured the feel-good factor, so the Wordley production team hit the streets of the UK to find fans of the film willing to dance and sing-along.

“We captured hundreds of people on camera including market stall holders, hairdressers, lollipop ladies, bakers and even a tyre fitter.

“The British public really stepped up to the mark and performed brilliantly, showing exactly why Mamma Mia was such a cinema hit.”

Wordley Production handled the spot production from planning to station delivery including a one-day “proof of concept” test shoot, the four-day UK-wide shoot, final editing and audio mastering.

Wordley Production’s director on the project, Marcus Thomas, said: “The Mamma Mia DVD TV spots were a brilliant opportunity to demonstrate our live action expertise, rather than just stick to clips from the film.

“The filming and production of the commercial was a great experience from start to finish, with the final version given the nod by ABBA’s Benny Andersson.

“The willingness and resources to get out there in all weathers to deliver the goods is not something that many other home entertainment advertising producers can provide.”

Kay Moneypenny from Jego Hair salon said: “We were so chuffed to be approached by Wordley to take part in an advert for such a massive film, after all the film is just legendary and we just love ABBA.

“In between cutting and shampooing hair, we had to sing straight at the cameras while belting away into hairbrushes.

“The whole salon was buzzing after the filming, and even though we were out of tune it was so fun and it’s been a great talking point every since.”

The DVD was released on Monday and pre and post release spots are running throughout that period.

Wordley Production’s recent TV spot productions for Universal include Wanted, Step Up 2: The Streets and The Kingdom.

The company has produced commercials for a range of clients including Mitsubishi, Nationwide, Confused.com, Furniture Village and Central Office of Information.

Abigail
26-11-2008, 21:10
My local Tesco is selling the dvd for £7 for this week only. They've sold out, I hope I can get a copy before the price goes back up.

Katy
26-11-2008, 21:26
I got mine for 7 quid ffrom Morrisons, i have seen it twice already! My mate is on Teaching practice so is going bed early as she is leaving at stupid o clock and she cant wait. We are having a bit of a marathon on saturday, watching mamma mia folllowed by chicago and Dirty Dancing, got a bit of a musical theme.

JustJodi
27-11-2008, 00:00
Just watched Mama Mia last night, a friend of mine burnt me a copy,,, I had one heck of a time seeing Pierce Bronson singing and Colin Firth too,,I mean is it proper seeing JAMES BOND singing ??? LOL
I loved the whole movie !!!!!!!!!!

*-Rooney-*
27-11-2008, 00:46
was that your first time of seeing the movie?

JustJodi
27-11-2008, 00:57
was that your first time of seeing the movie?

If u are asking me ,,,, yea it was my first time :-D
:wub: :wub: :wub: loved it

*-Rooney-*
27-11-2008, 00:58
yeah i was, i saw it in july.

I didnt think there was anyone left to see it apart from those who detest abba and musicals,

I love it and have saw it many times

Siobhan
27-11-2008, 13:05
I have never seen it.. I like Abba and I like Musicals, I just never got around to it and will probably get the DVD at some stage

Trinity
27-11-2008, 13:15
I have never seen it.. I like Abba and I like Musicals, I just never got around to it and will probably get the DVD at some stage

Me too - I love Abba - I adore musicals and I have seen the stage version but I haven't seen the movie yet. My kids are going to give it to me at Christmas I think.

None of my family would go to the cinema with me to see the movie - and I was ill the day my friends went.

Abigail
27-11-2008, 13:15
The more I read this thread, the more I really want the DVD. Going to Tesco later to see if they have it in :D

I wasn't sure about it first. Abba aren't my favourite band but the film is something else.

Hollie-x
27-11-2008, 16:33
Of course it's the biggest selling film of the year.

Radio 1 said its the second biggest selling film in the UK ever, behind Titanic.

Strange - I was thinking about whether it would be higher selling than Titanic or not. (be being obsessed with titanic lmao)

Edit - me thinks that it's actually pretty obvious I am (see below)

Hollie-x
27-11-2008, 16:36
The more I read this thread, the more I really want the DVD. Going to Tesco later to see if they have it in :D

I wasn't sure about it first. Abba aren't my favourite band but the film is something else.

How much is it in Tesco? It's only £7 at ASDA which I was quite surprised at 'cos ASDA seem to be a bit strange with DVD prices, like I bought The Holiday for £3 and then next week it was £7, same with music and lyrics. i paind 2 pound for it and now its a fiver. Bizzareness.

Abigail
27-11-2008, 17:06

How much is it in Tesco? It's only £7 at ASDA which I was quite surprised at 'cos ASDA seem to be a bit strange with DVD prices, like I bought The Holiday for £3 and then next week it was £7, same with music and lyrics. i paind 2 pound for it and now its a fiver. Bizzareness.

It's half price (£7) for this week only.

pookie1968uk
27-11-2008, 17:47
Musical film Mamma Mia! has become the fastest-selling DVD of all time in the UK, according to Official UK Charts Company figures.

It sold 1,669,084 copies on Monday's release date, breaking the previous record held by Titanic - based on DVD and video sales - by 560,000 copies.

Mamma Mia!, which was released in cinemas in July, has taken more than £66m at the UK box office.

Universal's managing director, Ian Foster, said the success of Mamma Mia! was a "testament to the fun-loving spirit of the British public and the universal appeal of this wonderful film".

A spokesman for supermarket Asda said 300,000 copies had been sold in its stores with, 15% of shoppers buying a copy on Monday.
Last month, Mamma Mia! became the highest-grossing British film at the UK box office, beating the previous holder of the record, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

It is now the second highest-grossing film in UK box office history behind Titanic.

Meanwhile, this weekend, chart-topper Quantum of Solace took £2.9 milllion and has now taken £45.1 million in the UK so far.

It beat competition from espionage thriller Body of Lies - starring Leonardo DiCaprio - which made its debut at number two with takings of £991,979.

Love-triangle comedy My Best Friend's Girl, starring Kate Hudson, Jason Biggs and Dane Cook, opened in third place with £911,355.

High School Musical 3: Senior Year dropped a place to number four, with £605,704, and US comedy Zack And Miri Make A Porno also slipped to number five, taking £447,485.

Abigail
29-11-2008, 00:16
I can't get hold of it anywhere :crying: Guess that's the bank telling me to put it on my xmas list and not my overdraft :p

Chloe O'brien
29-11-2008, 00:17
I got it in Asda today for £7 want me to send you one in the post.

Abigail
29-11-2008, 00:21
Aren't you a kind soul. Thanks for the offer but I really should put it on the xmas list. Although £7 isn't that big a dent in the overdraft...

I'll wait, it will teach me to be patient :angel:

Chloe O'brien
29-11-2008, 00:24
Well don't come on here on Christmas day crying cause Santa didn't put it in your stocking. I bought a copy of it today for Marley and I'm going shopping tomorrow, it won't kill me to pick up and extra copy.

Abigail
29-11-2008, 00:26
You've twisted my arm. I'll pm you my address :D

*-Rooney-*
29-11-2008, 10:38
arent you a kind bunch :D

Abbie
29-11-2008, 13:35
Awww thats so nice :)

I love this film its one of those one you'll never get bored of

Hollie-x
30-11-2008, 11:49
Mum went tesco, asda, sainsburry's and woolies on friday, couldn't get it anywhere, went to tesco yesterday and they had loads but were all £14 so i thought i'd wait and get on from play.com, only we went to asda after and i went on the dvd aisle not expecting to find it, and i didnt. I was looking at the CSI box sets, pulled one forward and behind it was the last copy for £7 :D:D:D:D i think someone may have put it there hoping to come and get it later but least to say i was happy :D watched it 3 times since getting yesterday afternoon :D

*-Rooney-*
30-11-2008, 12:34
yeah has been hid by someone lol good for u for finding it

Abigail
30-11-2008, 19:09
There were loads of copies in Tesco last night. Don't know if they have gone back up to full price. I've never known a DVD be in such demand.

Abbie
30-11-2008, 20:11
Same here!
And all of a sudden Ive gone DVD mad wanting to buy loads :lol:

Perdita
02-12-2008, 06:31
Mamma Mia has officially become the fastest-selling DVD ever in the UK.

The Abba musical, starring Pierce Brosnan and Meryl Streep, sold a record 3.125 million copies in its first full week of release, eclipsing other new releases WALL-E and Lee Evans: Big - Live At The O2.

It broke the first day sales record previously held by Titanic last week.

Last month, the movie became the most successful domestic film ever at the British box office, having achieved a £67 million gross compared to the £66 million made by Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone.

Abigail
02-12-2008, 12:36
That's crazy. Three million copies in seven days :eek:

Abbie
02-12-2008, 17:45
That's crazy. Three million copies in seven days :eek:

:eek: That is very mad!

*-Rooney-*
02-12-2008, 19:28
well it is a very good movie

Hollie-x
03-12-2008, 12:53
Yeah it is! I've been off school all week because of the snow (they shut school) and i've had it on alllllll the time. The only time i stopped watching it was when i was asleep and also when i watched Devil Wears Prada last night - which even has Meryl Streep in it lmao. I'm beginning to really like her too. Think she's fab.

Abigail
03-12-2008, 20:47
I think Meryl Streep is overrated, much prefer Julie Walters to her in Mamma Mia.

Got my copy in the post this afternoon (thanks Kath :D) so I'm going to watch now seeing as my freeview box has royally gone t*** up and I can't watch anything.

Hollie-x
04-12-2008, 09:55
I think Meryl Streep is overrated, much prefer Julie Walters to her in Mamma Mia.

Got my copy in the post this afternoon (thanks Kath :D) so I'm going to watch now seeing as my freeview box has royally gone t*** up and I can't watch anything.

I love Meryl Streep now lmao. :D Julie Walters is amaaazing, I love when she starts singing take a chance on me :lol: she's class.

Abbie
04-12-2008, 17:07

I love Meryl Streep now lmao. :D Julie Walters is amaaazing, I love when she starts singing take a chance on me :lol: she's class.

Thats my fav bit of the movie :cheer: :rotfl:

Hollie-x
05-12-2008, 09:55

Thats my fav bit of the movie :cheer: :rotfl:

:lol: thing i, she is the absolute spitting image of my grandma in this film and me and my mum were peeing ourselves laughing at this bit 'cos its just crazy how much they look alike!!

Chloe O'brien
12-12-2008, 22:21
I have been good my copy is still unopened. I'm saving it for Christmas day when I can lie on the couch with a big glass of vino and sing-a-long with all the songs.

*-Rooney-*
12-12-2008, 22:33
I have been good my copy is still unopened. I'm saving it for Christmas day when I can lie on the couch with a big glass of vino and sing-a-long with all the songs.

now that sounds like a good christmas day :D

Chloe O'brien
12-12-2008, 23:27
I'm hoping it will be Shazza right after I finished drooling over Mr Morrissey on Dr Who. then I can get stuck into the dvd's chocolate and booze. thought saying that I ususally only have a couple of drinks at Christmas then I'm so tired I just have a cup of tea.

Hollie-x
14-12-2008, 18:34
I'm inviting myself to yours on christmas day!!
:lol:

sounds good to me!!

Abbie
14-12-2008, 20:02
My friend wants the dvd for xmas :D
:cheer: yay easy birthday present

*-Rooney-*
27-12-2008, 13:53
so how many of us got the dvd for christmas - i got 2 lol

Tannie
27-12-2008, 14:05
I got it for christmas i a few of my friend's got it to. Lucy got it, My Cousins Girlfriend got it and Bree got it:p althrough i'm pretty sure some of you know bree :p

It's addictive i've decided if i finish twilight tonight i'll put it on and sing along to the song's while eating junk food and drinking coke. Sound's like my night in actually althrough i would perfer alchol but that'll come next year:lol: .

Kirsty :]
27-12-2008, 15:22
I had it for Christmas, and I hate to say it, but I found it slightly annoying *ducks for cover*... I didn't really watch it properly so maybe I have to watch it again??

Abbie
27-12-2008, 17:30
I didnt get it for christmas :( But I'll be buying it soon

CrazyLea
27-12-2008, 17:39
I had it for Christmas, and I hate to say it, but I found it slightly annoying *ducks for cover*... I didn't really watch it properly so maybe I have to watch it again??
My sister didn't like it either :p Now there's 2 of you in the world :lol: :p.

Chloe O'brien
27-12-2008, 23:32
We watched it again last night brilliant film Julie Walters stole the limelight from Meryl Streep especially when she fell in the sink while singing chiquattita.

Kim
28-12-2008, 00:49
I got it for Christmas :D Haven't got round to watching it yet though.

Chloe O'brien
28-12-2008, 02:17

KIM!!!! what is wrong with you girl, grab your hairbrush and dance your socks off tomorrow while watching it.

Kim
28-12-2008, 02:19

KIM!!!! what is wrong with you girl, grab your hairbrush and dance your socks off tomorrow while watching it.

What is wrong with me is the stack of revision I have to do. I'm not getting enough done already without watching DVD's as well :lol:

Emmie
28-12-2008, 02:22
I am a huggeee fn of musicals anything with singing and dancing in and usaly i get such a buzz from them, but with Mamma mia i didn't, it was not as good as everyone made it out to be :S

pookie1968uk
31-12-2008, 20:03
Hit Abba musical Mamma Mia! became the biggest-selling DVD ever this Christmas, online retail giant Amazon said.

The film - based on the songs of the Swedish supergroup - has sold "several hundred thousand" copies on Amazon alone since its release at the end of November, UK managing director Brian McBride said.

Mamma Mia! sold almost four times as many copies as last year's Christmas best-seller, The Bourne Ultimatum, with more than 200,000 pre-ordered on Amazon before release.

The demand for the feel-good movie - starring Meryl Streep and Julie Walters - came amid tighter times ahead for UK households as the economy turns sour, Mr McBride said.

"People are buying stuff that they can do at home, I think people are expecting to go out a little less... It is about escapism."

Sales of the film beat Harry Potter author JK Rowling's Tales of Beedle the Bard book into second place by "a clear margin" in the overall best-sellers list, Amazon said. Take That's new album, The Circus, was the highest-selling CD and fifth overall, closely followed by The Killer's third album, Day and Age.

Jessie Wallace
31-12-2008, 21:25
I really want it still was hoping to get it for christmas but didn't :(
Been looking for it on DVD, but i'm not buying it for under £9, and i can't find it for less that £11.99 at the moment, so i'll wait a little while longer

Tannie
01-01-2009, 12:51
We watched it again last night brilliant film Julie Walters stole the limelight from Meryl Streep especially when she fell in the sink while singing chiquattita.

That made me giggle going to watch it later on tonight i think lol.

Trinity
05-01-2009, 13:17
I got this for Christmas from my kids, I hadn't seen the movie but I had seen the stage show.

It looked like they had a great time filming it... dare I say it, perhaps even a better time than I had watching it!

Meryl Streep was hopelessly miscast.

Julie Walters was hysterical, as was the other woman (cannot remember her name - the one out of Cybil).

I enjoyed it - the music was fun - it always has been (I was an Abba fan as a kid). It wasn't a brilliant film, but then it wasn't supposed to be high culture.

di marco
06-01-2009, 12:13
my gran got the dvd cos it was really cheap in wilkinsons i think she said, not got round to watching it yet though i really want to as everyone says how brill it is and the stage show was great when i saw it

JustJodi
06-01-2009, 12:43
Folks keep an open mind, the STAGE VERSION and the MOVIE.. are two different things..
I have seen both and I think they both have merit ..
I know alot of you think that the characters were miscast ( like Meryl Strep) I had a hard time getting my head around Pierce Bronson singing instead of brandishing a gun as James Bond LOL
So if you have seen the stage version ,, KEEP an open mind for the movie version...

About 23 yrs ago they made a movie called CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD,, I had seen the stage version first : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_a_Lesser_God_ and I was totally SHOCKED at the movie version : http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Children_of_a_Lesser_God/60003584?mqso=80020215&partid=Children_of_a_Lesser_God..that is when I learned to give the stage and movie versions leeway :D

di marco
06-01-2009, 12:48
but the storylines the same for both isnt it?

JustJodi
06-01-2009, 13:24
but the storylines the same for both isnt it?

Ok screen adaptions may be a bit different, not saying that they totally changed the story line, but if folks who attended theatre on reg basis then see their favorites adapted to screen will be a bit disapointed.. I just find the movie versions a bit better :searchme: ( maybe it is down to me as being very visual since I am deaf and I depend on my eyes rather than my hearing which I no longer have )

Now the stage version of CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD was very very very different from the screen version,, the stage version was strongly political the movie version offered a bit less of the political insight.. :ninja:

Trinity
06-01-2009, 13:46
To be honest Jodi I thought that the film and the stage show were too alike.

Although they made good use of the setting in the film, the dialogue and the whole arrangement was very similar to that of the stage show I saw in Edinburgh and I think that it would have benefited from a better film adaptation rather than just a straight film the same show but in the sun.

Meryl Streep was okay. I still think she was miscast - the woman is a great actress and she can sing, but she is too serious and plain for the part. I mean can you imagine MS being the kind of woman who doesn't know which of 3 men is the father of her child?? I mean, come on!

I understand the point that you are making that some people know a show (or a book even) and are disappointed by the film, but in this case I think that the film is weaker by not being more different.

It isn't Mama Mia The Movie, it is Mama Mia, a film of the show set outside.

Jessie Wallace
06-01-2009, 13:50
Oh dear am i the only person who likes MS in the movie. The only person i didn't like mwas Pierce, although his singing was sooooo bad it was almost good if that makes sence.

Trinity
06-01-2009, 14:41
Oh dear am i the only person who likes MS in the movie. The only person i didn't like mwas Pierce, although his singing was sooooo bad it was almost good if that makes sence.

If it makes you feel any better i didn't like Pierce much either ;)

Abbie
06-01-2009, 17:35
I like MS in the movie :D

I want to see the stage version :p Its on my list

Bryan
06-01-2009, 17:38
i loved meryl streep in the role, she played it so well, her version of the winner takes it all is breathtaking.

the only cast member i didn't like was colin firth! but that's becuase I can't stand him as an actor!

Abbie
06-01-2009, 17:40
the only cast member i didn't like was colin firth! but that's becuase I can't stand him as an actor!

Awww I love him!

Trinity
06-01-2009, 20:16
To me and a whole generation of woman Colin Firth will forever be Darcy in Sense and Sensibility. TBH, he cannot play another role, in his other successes e.g. Bridget Jones he plays the same character!

Darcy isn't gay, lol!

sindydoll
06-01-2009, 20:25
i havnt watched it yet its next to the dvd player i will get round to putting it in:lol:

*-Rooney-*
06-01-2009, 22:04
i liked all them maybe its cos i loved the movie,

i think amanda seyfried is a star in the making

sindydoll
06-01-2009, 23:17
ive just watched it! it was good,funny but tacky too and too musical..worth watching but glad i didnt actually buy it

Xx-Vicky-xX
07-01-2009, 18:01
I saw this new year day as i got it for xmas - it was shockingly....crap :lol: i've never seen such rubbish and there was so much hype surrounding it aswell

di marco
07-01-2009, 22:24
I saw this new year day as i got it for xmas - it was shockingly....crap :lol: i've never seen such rubbish and there was so much hype surrounding it aswell

cant be any worse than high school musical lol!

Siobhan
08-01-2009, 11:54
My daughter seen it and she said it wasn't as good as she expected.. she love HSM..

Chloe O'brien
08-01-2009, 12:13
The movie is cheesy there's no doubt about that but if your just wanting a chuckle and sing-a-long when your doing the housework then this is the one.

Trinity
08-01-2009, 12:35
The movie is cheesy there's no doubt about that but if your just wanting a chuckle and sing-a-long when your doing the housework then this is the one.

It did have an uplifting effect - and I laughed out loud a lot.

Xx-Vicky-xX
08-01-2009, 14:03

cant be any worse than high school musical lol!

There is nothing wrong with High School Musical, it is by far the best film of 2006, 2007 & 2008

My daughter seen it and she said it wasn't as good as she expected.. she love HSM..

That is because your daughter has a very good taste in films :thumbsup:

It did have an uplifting effect - and I laughed out loud a lot.

I laughed but only because i could not believe how rubbish it was and that my mates went several times to the cinema to see it....all i can say is i am glad i did not pay to see it...once let alone 5

Jessie Wallace
08-01-2009, 20:48
OML, how can you say, HSM is better than MM, that's just nut's. I mena i don't mind HSM, but better than MM, no way
Mamma Mia was the best film for ages

*-Rooney-*
08-01-2009, 20:50
ill second that and you just need to look at the cinema ratings and dvd sales to see that

Abbie
08-01-2009, 21:41
Just differences in opinions and tastes really

Kirsty :]
08-01-2009, 22:01
I dind't like either so I'm set :D Haha. Nah I think I need to watch Mamma Mia again