PDA

View Full Version : Help! The V---s..

.:SpIcYsPy:.
02-01-2008, 23:17
Okay for some reason ever since my cousin left I have been getting p*p ups now and then asking me to download v---s sc*ns and stuff..

Before I go any further I am putting dashes and stars because I did a search on SB typing the V word and then at the top of the SB page there was one advertising another one! So I decided to blank it out in hoping it won't appear again!

I am really worried.. I left dad a note on asking him to update my sc*ns and stuff but he won't get the note till tomorrow morning.. I don't want to loose everything all over again, most things important are saved but still you know..

Can anyone reccomend REALLY good v---s sc*ns and stuff, reliable and up to date.. free (temporarily anyways)..

Any tips on how to stop the things from appearing because I am so scared they will appear and even if they have a fake cross my brother/sister could click on them and BAM :(

All answers appreciated and because I am so worried I will give you a thanks if it's even slightly useful/comforts me lol! x

StarsOfCCTV
02-01-2008, 23:22
I have AVG 7.5 It's free, I have it permamently http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/ I have it on my computer and it's never allowed any virus or anything through. It would do until you could get your current antivirus updated anyway, I think :) Good luck with the whole problem I know what a pain computer software can be!

CrazyLea
02-01-2008, 23:23
I get them I'sometimes too.. if I get what you are saying. Not entirely sure.

Do you get pop-ups saying things like "Your memory is really low, download this to check your computer"... "You have viruses on your computer, download this to check".. and things like that??

I'm not sure whether it's actually 'cause of viruses though. I'd like to know though??

We have McAfee VirusScan. It seems quite good, it does pick up on things. It gives you pop-ups if you are about to download something bad, or have downloaded something bad.. says "This is a PUP (something unwanted program), do you want to get rid of it.. if you click yes it gets rid of it..

You can also do regualar checks on it, and if it does find things you can quarantine it or get rid of it.

It also has a site advisor. When on a search engine such as google.. there's a coloured banner beside your search (green, amber and red)....... green meaning good.. amber meaning possible bad, and red meaning bad. Which is good. Not just on google, but all websites you go on..

But I'm not sure if you can get a free sample. Worth the money though I think.

Abi
02-01-2008, 23:24
AVG is fab.

It sounds to be like you have a major spyware problem, rather than a virus thing (Though i may be wrong, i dont know). Download Ad-Aware and run that too. Its free, pretty quick, and works :)

02-01-2008, 23:28
Lea, I'm using McAfe right now and I tried to do a scan but it wouldn't scan.. made the noise like it was going to though?!
The little downloading and site warnings are good though and they still continue to work..
I use Google p*p up blocker.. it's stopped 4054 in it's time so pretty impressive and can see major differences..
I think I will quickly go and download the AVG while mine is being upgraded!

Thanks guys keep it coming x

CrazyLea
02-01-2008, 23:28
We have McAfee Spyware thing aswell..

Is it really 'cause of Spyware? I don't know if some of you remember, that time when I had a bad spyware problem..

I'm not entirely sure if we cleaned it up properly and got rid of all the problems.

Whenever we bring it to a computer shop it comes back worse to be honest!!

(Sorry Spicy for stealing your thread btw :p)

CrazyLea
02-01-2008, 23:30
Weird Spicy. Ours did that before too. Think my dad sorted it out though!

Think he might have just updated it like you say you're doing now. If it doesn't work after the upgrade then send McAfee an e-mail ! 'Cause after paying for it, it should work properly!

Abi
02-01-2008, 23:31
Download Ad-Aware Lea. Its really good at getting rid of Spyware. Its free, so you can always just uninstall it :)

CrazyLea
02-01-2008, 23:32
It's completely safe right?

02-01-2008, 23:33
Well dad quickly popped to the loo and I quickly caught him when he came out lmao and he said he will sort it out tomorrow! I am downloading the free version of the AVG now..
Lol it's all good Lea :p
These things scare the life out me =|

CrazyLea
02-01-2008, 23:37
When I clicked that link I recognised the logo.. looked.. and we have AVG anti root-kit....

What's that :lol:. Is that the spyware thing?

Yeah I know what you mean Spicy. Whenever we get virus or whatever, I feel like just getting a whole new computer and starting again :p.

StarsOfCCTV
02-01-2008, 23:39
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/
Go on the link and you can get a free anti-spyware, I think the root kit is a different thing...:p

03-01-2008, 00:22
Running the McAfee scan, started working after several tries.. scanned about 33500 files and still going.. found nothing yet..
Another stupid thing p*ped up on me :( I just hope when I switch off my comp tonight I will be able to switch it back on again!

StarsOfCCTV
03-01-2008, 00:26
You could save really important stuff on any memory sticks or spare CDs lying around, and do a system restore. When Ihad a virus I lost everything so I always back up now :)

03-01-2008, 00:38
I sort of did that when I thought I'd run out of space and cleared some stuff up.. So should be okay..
The scan compleated and nothing was found, what's up with that! It searches for sp*ware and stuff like that so have no idea what's going on..
Going to take the risk and shut down the comp and see what happens tomorrow..
Wish me luck & thanks once again! x

Kim
03-01-2008, 13:26
Try downloading this, and run it through a couple of times:

http://www.download.com/3405-8022-5153545.html

I ran it through last night because I too got pop ups telling me to download virus scanning things, and I haven't seen one since.

With the scan that found nothing; did you have it set to search for everything, as on some programs like the one up there, you can tick what you want it to search for and leave crossed what you don't?

23-01-2008, 15:48
Well had my comp cleared out, least this time I managed to save all my files so really pleased. Don't know what the problem was though..
Got comp. back yesterday.. woohoo..
This thread can be closed :) x