PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Router

Chloe O'brien
29-12-2007, 02:24
Okay my little hunnies I need some advice. I bought Marley a Laptop for Christmas and the Router i bought aint no good as it's an Ethernet conection. I have a Telewest (virgin) broadband conection but the moden hasn't got got any spare conections to plug a Router into. I would prefer to buy a wireless Router that way she can sit in the living room and in her bedroom with the laptop.

Can someone give me advice on the best modem to buy I've had a look on PC world and Comet but I don't want to buy the wrong thing. If it helps I got her laptop out of PC world its a EI Systems 4213

Kim
29-12-2007, 10:25
I had the same problem when I got my computer last christmas, and we have the same connection. It won't have 2 pcs or more on at once, so you'll have to scrap the router. You need either a laptop card or a USB adapter for each connection you want, and you might get one device free with the router. I was going to stick with Netgear routers, but my dad somehow got his friend to put in a router that takes every make device. I'll try to find out what it is :)

Chloe O'brien
05-01-2008, 20:07
I'm going to PC world on Monday and my nephew has told me to get a Wireless Router for Virgin Media modem. My sister has a router for her 2 PC and they work fine, My nephew has been in hospital last week getting an operation on a shattered eardrum so he hasn't been able to come and look at my PC and Marley's laptop, I will let you know how things go after Monday.

Luna
05-01-2008, 21:35
I'm going to PC world on Monday and my nephew has told me to get a Wireless Router for Virgin Media modem. My sister has a router for her 2 PC and they work fine, My nephew has been in hospital last week getting an operation on a shattered eardrum so he hasn't been able to come and look at my PC and Marley's laptop, I will let you know how things go after Monday.

You need a dsl router what kind of modem have you got? Should tell you on the sticker either on the side or bottom of it?

Chloe O'brien
05-01-2008, 21:38
Sorry i'm at my sis but she's got the same modem as me. Its a motorrola sb4200 surfboard cable modem. If that's any help

Luna
05-01-2008, 21:40
yeah thats fine that modem holds both usb and ethernet.

As long as it dsl and holds either of those you'll be fine!!!

Meh
05-01-2008, 23:22
you need a wireless cable router
Edit: something like this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/63763