PDA

View Full Version : Christmas 2007 No.1 Contenders

tammyy2j
04-12-2007, 12:16
Radio stations across the UK will take delivery of a Christmas number one contender designed to rival the winning act from The X Factor. But this single, a copy of Shakin' Stevens hit Merry Christmas Everyone, has been recorded and produced by UK radio presenters.

The song has been produced to raise funds for CLIC Sergeant, the children’s cancer charity, and will be distributed to every commercial radio station in the UK via IMD Fastrax on Thursday afternoon. It will be under embargo until 8:15am on Monday 3rd December, with a release date of Monday 17th December.

Capital Radio presenter Chris Brooks was only too happy to get involved for such a good cause. He said “Recording this record was fun and quite surreal as I'm more used to playing records than making them! The fact that CLIC Sergeant will benefit from this is a great bonus."

The project has been put together by London based presenter Rich Harvey, a long time supporter of CLIC Sergeant. The ex-Mercury and CFM presenter was keen to encourage more groups to get involved. “The response from the industry as a whole has been fantastic. We still have a couple of groups who are not represented on the song, including GMG, Emap and Lincs FM Group. Everybody else has at least one employee on the record, and we would love to have more. The single is supposed to be a combined effort from everyone, regardless of station or group. It is a way for radio to give something back, and what better way to give something back than by throwing snowballs at rival presenters!”

---------------------------------------------------------

Alesha Dixon to battle for Christmas No.1?
Sunday, November 25 2007, 10:45 GMT

By Daniel Kilkelly

Strictly Come Dancing contestant Alesha Dixon could compete against the X Factor winner in the battle for the Christmas number one spot.

The Strictly theme tune has been turned into a song called 'Let's Go Dancing', which will be released next month, and pop singer Alesha is the first choice to record the track.

"We hope one of the show's stars will sing it and propel it to the top," Dan McGrath, who co-wrote the track with Josh Phillips, told the Sunday Mirror. "Strictly is winning the ratings war - now we're going to pile on the agony."

He added: "We're expecting Simon Cowell to be crying into his Christmas turkey."
-----------------------------------------------------------

Contenders

X Factor Winner "When You Believe"
UK radio presenters "Merry Christmas Everyone"
Sugababes "Change"
Spice Girls "Memories"
Girls Aloud's "Call The Shots"
Soulja Boy "Crank That"
Leona Lewis "Bleeding Love"
Shayne Ward "Breathless"
Amy Winehouse "Love Is A Losing Game"
T2 Ft Jodie Aysha "Heartbroken"
Justin Timberlake with Beyonce "Until The End of Time"
Shaun the Sheep "Life's a Treat"
Alesha Dixon "Let's Go Dancing"
McFly " Umbrella"

lizann
04-12-2007, 12:59
Are Rihanna and Timberland releasing any more tracks for 2007?

I would love the No. 1 to be a traditional Christmas Tune so i hope it will be the Radio Presenters with Merry Christmas Everyone. I love the tune. :cheer:

I doubt Leona will hang on to the top spot until Christmas but she has seen off the likes of Take That, Westlife, Spice Girls and Shayne Ward so who knows.

Is there a top of the pops show/music chart show on BBC1 on Christmas Day?

Abigail
04-12-2007, 19:53

:thumbsup: YouTube - Shaun The Sheep - Life's A Treat I love Shaun. I don't think he should be number one though. It's time we had a proper Christmas tune at number one again.

DaVeyWaVey
04-12-2007, 20:01
I hope Merry Christmas Everyone makes it to Number 1 - love the tune and it's extremely fitting for the Christmas Number 1 obviously. I am tired of the X Factor winner always making it to Number 1 all the time at Christmas. :thumbsdow

Chris_2k11
04-12-2007, 20:05
Are Rihanna and Timberland releasing any more tracks for 2007?Yes, the two of them have produced a brilliant track called 'Rehab' which looks likely to be released next year :thumbsup:

Abbie
04-12-2007, 21:04
woah there is loads of them !!!!!! I would love it for it to be a christmas song

Pinkbanana
05-12-2007, 21:39

:thumbsup: YouTube - Shaun The Sheep - Life's A Treat I love Shaun. I don't think he should be number one though. It's time we had a proper Christmas tune at number one again.

If it was more seasonal then it might stand a chance....really love the video for it! :rotfl:

tammyy2j
09-12-2007, 20:19
Also in the running is

Eva Cassidy/Katie Melua - What a Wonderful World

Most Wonderful Time of the Year (M&S Ad) - Andy Williams

Cascada - Last Christmas

CrazyLea
09-12-2007, 20:44
Oooo I love Most Wonderful Time of the Year. I downloaded that the other day, should be number 1 :cheer:

pookie1968uk
09-12-2007, 21:49
whatever it is it should be a christmas song but you just know it will be the x factor winner. when you look at the christmas compilation cd's we buy what will the ones of the future be? there will be no christmas songs to put on them!

Chris_2k11
09-12-2007, 22:29
Eva Cassidy/Katie Melua - What a Wonderful WorldKatie Melua is such a yawnfest

CrazyLea
09-12-2007, 22:32
We were just looking at the charts for this week, and we noticed that ALL the classic Christmas hits have been re-released!!! Shakin Stevens, Slade, Wizzard, Mariah, Band Aid, Pogues, Wham! :eek:. I never knew :p. None of them got particularly high, but with Christmas coming up :D. I think Shakin Stevens should be no.1 ;) :D

Abbie
10-12-2007, 13:34
Eva Cassidy/Katie Melua - What a Wonderful WorldKatie Melua is such a yawnfest

:eek: I love that kind of music

CrazyLea
12-12-2007, 00:13
I actually used to really hate Katie Melua. But this song with Eva Cassidy (which I have just heard), has made me fall in love with her voice haha!! It's so cool. Something about it! Better than Eva's :cool:. Rubbish version of this song though.

I like a really rocked up version that I heard before. Don't know who it's by though *HINT HINT*

Abigail
12-12-2007, 18:52

YouTube - What a Wonderful World - Katie Melua & Eva Cassidy

Mid week sales show it's tipped for the top this week.

Abbie
14-12-2007, 12:34
WOW, thats the first time Ive heard that and I love it

pookie1968uk
14-12-2007, 15:07

YouTube - What a Wonderful World - Katie Melua & Eva Cassidy

Mid week sales show it's tipped for the top this week.

i heard it yesterday and actually thought it was really nice. their voice go really well together.

Kim
14-12-2007, 19:01
This McFly - Umbrella; the same Umbrella as Rihanna? Oh.dear... no! McFly would totally ruin it if so. I really hope Leona doesn't get it again as I don't like her either.

Abigail
14-12-2007, 20:12
Coldplay have placed a cover of The Pretenders' festive track '2000 Miles' on their website.

The band claimed that they wanted to produce their own Christmas track but couldn't manage one, so decided to cover the 1983 single instead.

Writing on their website, Chris Martin said: "We love Christmas songs, but every time we try and write one it’s awful. So we cover them. Well once or twice actually.

"In fact the one song I would most liked to have written is ‘Fairytale of New York’ by de bloody Pogues of Ireland."

It was reported yesterday that Coldplay's fourth album is nearly finished and that they are planning a 2008 world tour.

tammyy2j
17-12-2007, 15:03
This McFly - Umbrella; the same Umbrella as Rihanna? Oh.dear... no! McFly would totally ruin it if so. I really hope Leona doesn't get it again as I don't like her either.

Yes the McFly song is a cover of Rihanna's Umbrella. I think its an ok version

YouTube - McFly - Umbrella

You can now add these to the contenders

Rihanna - Please Don't Stop The Music
The Pogues and Kirsty McColl - Fairytale of New York
Leon Jackson - When You Believe

Chris_2k11
17-12-2007, 21:45
You can now add these to the contenders

Rihanna - Please Don't Stop The Music
The Pogues and Kirsty McColl - Fairytale of New York
Leon Jackson - When You Believelol as much as i like Rihanna i cant see her doing that well in the matter of a week :D

DaVeyWaVey
17-12-2007, 21:47
The Space Pirates is another contender - even though I can't imagine it getting to Number 1, I really wish it would! Sooo catchy!

Abbie
18-12-2007, 18:21
I just want a christmas song to be number one this christmas :D

lizann
19-12-2007, 16:10
The Pogues - Fairytale of New York finally deserves to be NO. 1 in UK charts for Christmas :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bubblegum
19-12-2007, 17:19
shaun the sheep and space pirates all the way!
space pirates is way too catchy. :thumbsup: :cheer:

Chris_2k11
19-12-2007, 21:53
I would like to see Sugababes 'Change' do it.

Bryan
19-12-2007, 22:46
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8z4oKr_SN4

Hopefully Amy Winehouse will get a good position for this song, like her lifestyle or not, this is an amazing song that shows off her exceptional vocal talent. Would love to see her year end on a high.

Debs
19-12-2007, 23:07
That is my fave amy whinehouse song! iplay it so much i ven have connor singing it as he plays!!!!!

Chris_2k11
23-12-2007, 21:17
Leon is number one, how boring and predictable :(

DaVeyWaVey
23-12-2007, 21:41
What a surprise Leon got Number 1... He's such a bore.

Abbie
23-12-2007, 21:42
Nooooooooooooooooooooo :(

Pinkbanana
23-12-2007, 23:21
What a surprise Leon got Number 1... He's such a bore.

Oh dear.........:(

Chris_2k11
24-12-2007, 15:38
Lets hope next years winner Leo doesnt do the same

Abbie
24-12-2007, 15:41
Lets hope next years winner Leo doesnt do the same

:lol: I see what you did, last year it was Leona, this year it was Leon (leona - a)
so next year its Leon- n = leo
:rotfl: Brillant, but hopefully not true

Kim
24-12-2007, 18:47
Grrr! I so wanted Mariah Carey to get it :( Maybe they'll be just a Leo next year, and they'll take of a letter every year until there's none left, at which point Christmas will no longer be plagued with an X Factor winner as the Christmas Number One :rotfl: