PDA

View Full Version : BBC flooded with complaints over violent pub brawl in EastEnders

alan45
16-11-2007, 07:42
From Today's Daily Mail.

The BBC has received a barrage of complaints about violent scenes in EastEnders an hour before the watershed.

More than 600 telephoned and sent angry emails about the broadcast, shown at a time when many youngsters were watching.

The episode, on Tuesday, showed a gang of thugs rampaging through the Old Vic attacking drinkers with baseball bats and glasses and smashing furniture with hammers as they hunted for reformed soccer hooligan Jase Dyer.

In one scene, a heavily-pregnant Honey Mitchell was thrown to the floor and had to be taken to hospital.

The programme, which began at 8pm after a warning, was watched by 9.6million people.

John Beyer, director of pressure group Mediawatch UK, said: "This representation of gang violence was completely beyond the pale for a programme that is shown at that time of the evening and repeated in the afternoon on Sunday.

"It's a ratings game and they seem prepared to do anything to attract controversy."

A total of 622 viewers complained directly, condemning the brutality as "disgraceful" and "sickening".

Many more committed their views to internet message boards. One wrote: "The violence, vandalism and terror in the first few minutes of the programme have sickened me for the last time.

"This programme has descended steadily into the mire. My licence fee should not be paying for such mindless trash."

Another said: "Thousands of children up and down the country must have been weaned on this corrupting programme - then we wonder why they start slashing each other in playgrounds."

Ofcom guidelines say "violence, its after-effects and descriptions of violence' must be limited before the 9pm watershed."

It advises that violence that can easily be imitated by children "must not be broadcast before the watershed... unless there is editorial justification".

There were another 300 complaints about a reference in the same programme to the Hillsborough tragedy.

The brawl was followed by character Minty Peterson telling northerner Dyer: "Five years out of Europe because of Heysel, because they penned you lot in to stop you fighting, and then what did we end up with - Hillsborough."

The 1985 Heysel disaster involved the death of 39 football fans at a European Cup Final when a wall separating Liverpool and Juventus fans collapsed.

In 1989, 96 Liverpool fans died on overcrowded terraces before the FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough in Sheffield.

A BBC spokesman said the meaning of the comment may have been misinterpreted.

On the brawl, she claimed the violence was "implied rather than explicit".

The corporation announced last night that the most violent scenes would be edited out of the Sunday omnibus edition, but the Hillsborough reference will be left in.

Joanne
16-11-2007, 08:06
My eldest daughter is 7 and I don't allow her to watch Eastenders, I Sky + it and watch it once she's gone to bed. I don't let her watch Emmerdale or Corrie either because they contain storylines that I just don't think are suitable for a 7 year old - especially ones that ask alot of questions.

However, I know that there are children in her class who do watch them. One girl inparticular got distressed watching the Eastenders episode involving May and Dawn and the attempted C Section.

These Parents who have complained about the episode should take more responsibility about what their children watch. Presumably the grown ups watch EE anyway so they know that, at times it can be a hard-hitting gritty drama.

Yes, some of the violence was quite graphic and the scenes with Honey were distressing but there was enough publicity about the raid before the episode to put people off of watching it if they didn't think they would like it. I think some people complain just for the sake of it.

alan45
16-11-2007, 08:37
My eldest daughter is 7 and I don't allow her to watch Eastenders, I Sky + it and watch it once she's gone to bed. I don't let her watch Emmerdale or Corrie either because they contain storylines that I just don't think are suitable for a 7 year old - especially ones that ask alot of questions.

However, I know that there are children in her class who do watch them. One girl inparticular got distressed watching the Eastenders episode involving May and Dawn and the attempted C Section.

These Parents who have complained about the episode should take more responsibility about what their children watch. Presumably the grown ups watch EE anyway so they know that, at times it can be a hard-hitting gritty drama.

Yes, some of the violence was quite graphic and the scenes with Honey were distressing but there was enough publicity about the raid before the episode to put people off of watching it if they didn't think they would like it. I think some people complain just for the sake of it.Unfortunately in this day and age it is very hard to stop kids watching TV. Most of them have TV in their bedrooms or can access it through the internet. I really dont think any of the soaps are suitable for a 7 year old.

parkerman
16-11-2007, 08:55
From Today's Daily Mail.

In 1989, 96 Liverpool fans died on overcrowded terraces before the FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough in Sheffield.

A BBC spokesman said the meaning of the comment may have been misinterpreted.

The corporation announced last night that the most violent scenes would be edited out of the Sunday omnibus edition, but the Hillsborough reference will be left in.
I was quite appalled when I heard the reference to Hillsborough as though it was a product of hooliganism and even more appalled that the BBC have decided to leave it in. It had nothing to do with hooliganism and it shows a complete insensitivity on the part of the BBC to the families and friends of the 96 Liverpool fans who died.

CrazyLea
16-11-2007, 16:21
I thought the violence was a bit scary and I'm 18 haha. Let alone the kids who do watch them!

Abbie
16-11-2007, 22:35
Havent they had some other violence before or in other soaps, I cant remember lol, But I do know you mean it an get very violent

Jojo
17-11-2007, 10:42
To be perfectly honest, I found the scene with the baby at the end more disturbing than the brawl itself - its like the little mo rape scene - what happened was insinuated rather than actually depicted. Whereas seeing midwives trying to resuscitate a newborn baby - I was sobbing (yes I'm hormonal and have a 5 week old baby, but even so) It was great dramatic performances, but on the whole, thats how I felt.

However, the reference to Hillsborough was extremely out of order and shouldn't have been included. And thats being polite.

Katy
17-11-2007, 10:46
I agree with Ems, the scene at the end was much more disturbing and the hillsbourorugh reference was out of order but the fighting its self. I have seen worse in Manchester on a saturday night. s

Lizzie Brookes
17-11-2007, 16:58
I actually muted it and put the subtitles on when there was the violent scene at the start. I'm20 so I either look away or mute it or ignore it - I admit it was a bit violent but I tend to ignore such things really rather than get agitated about it but then again there are no children in my house or anything so that's ok and being more interested in the Steven storyline I wasn't really bothered. I returned the sound for the second half when I saw it was less violent and I never even noticed the reference. It'd be good though if they cut out the violent scenes in Sunday omnibus. I'm only really watching for Monday and Thursday's episodes anyway this time though I liked the hospital scenes - they were quite moving and the Beales watching a film.

Pinkbanana
17-11-2007, 17:52
I didnt watch that episode to be honest, but it does sound (from what I have read) like the Hillborough comment was taken out of context and misinterpreted. Has a relative who lost a loved one spoken out about it or taken it personally? As a far as Im aware, its just other people, who have taken it upon themselves to say its unacceptable, on their behalf.

Most of the complaints seem to be about the level of violence - which as Ive already mentioned I cant comment on as I didnt see it, but if I had been watching and deemed it too violent, Im sure I would have turned it over at that point.

I guess EE are between a rock and hard place when it comes to pleasing its audience with the level of 'realism' they include in the soap. Whats the saying...you cant please all of the people all of the time? :hmm:

parkerman
17-11-2007, 17:54
I didnt watch that episode to be honest, but it does sound (from what I have read) like the Hillborough comment was taken out of context and misinterpreted. Has a relative who lost a loved one spoken out about it or taken it personally? As a far as Im aware, its just other people, who have taken it upon themselves to say its unacceptable, on their behalf.

As you say, you didn't see the episode. I did and believe me, the remark has not been taken out of context or misinterpreted at all.

Lizzie Brookes
17-11-2007, 17:56
The second half of the episode was fine and I liked the Beales watching the film, I didn't switch it off, I wouldn't do that because it might get better later on. I just usually take the sound away and leave the subtitles on and maybe lookaway as well if its too violent but I wouldn't hate the programme just because of one violent episode.

Pinkbanana
17-11-2007, 19:06

As you say, you didn't see the episode. I did and believe me, the remark has not been taken out of context or misinterpreted at all.

I take your word for it. I'll try and catch the repeat tomorrow....:)

Siobhan
17-11-2007, 20:21

Totally agree with you parkerman.. Minty clearly mentioned Hisley and Hillborough in regard to football hooligans

Johnny Allen
17-11-2007, 22:41
people were bound to complain, I thought it was violent but violence doesnt bother me like it does others. My mum was far more offended then me. The Hillsborough comment didn't shock me at the time and it still doesn't. But then nothing shocks me nowadays.