PDA

View Full Version : Random Nun Question! (No I don't want to be one :p)

CrazyLea
04-11-2007, 15:07
Okay, so I am watching Sister Act at the moment, and all or at least most of the nuns are Sister Mary. When Carmella was a nun in Neighbours, she was also Sister Mary. So I thought, all nuns must have to be that, but the ones in Sound of Music aren't.. so I was just wandering, why most nuns are Sister Mary lol! Is it an old tradition or something lol? Is it cause of Mary and Joseph.. lol..

Abbie
04-11-2007, 15:17
Lol well to be honest I thought all nuns were sisiter- and then there name, so now im confused

Abigail
04-11-2007, 15:32
From http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=539481#post539481 On the right hand side

The second stage, novitiate, lasts one full year. The novitiate begins with the candidate dressed as a bride, coming into the convent chapel with her fellow postulants (novitiate classes have been as large as 70 postulants).

It is also at this ceremony that the Nuns give up their previous name and adopt a new name in honor of a favorite saint (or perhaps their parents). The presiding Bishop gives a lighted candle to the novice while announcing, “You shall no longer be known as Jennifer (for example), but as Sister Mary Bernadette, your new name in religion.”

The significance of the name change stems from biblical times, when Abram became Abraham, Jacob became Israel, Simon became Peter, Saul became Paul, etc. These men changed their names when they gave themselves to God.

Mary ‘M’. or Marie is always placed after the title ‘Sister’ in honor of Mary the Blessed Virgin.

Abbie
04-11-2007, 15:34
Hmm :hmm: So its better to be a sister and then a name beginning with M

Pinkbanana
04-11-2007, 15:48
Though, to be a nun you have to be catholic right? Thus, most catholics are born catholics.....So if you are born into a strong catholic family then there's a good chance that you will be given a name from the bible or named after a saint - well this has been my very limited experience of this....I know a catholic called Bernadette....:lol: And no she isnt a nun.

Soooo the point Im making is do you have to change your name if you are already called Mary, Bernadette, Maria or named after other saints or famous nuns?! :hmm: Or is the change your name bit just part of the job (becoming a nun)?

Abbie
04-11-2007, 15:51
well of course you have to be Catholic too, Pb :p

Pinkbanana
04-11-2007, 15:54

I know that Tabs! :p lol Im talking about do you have to change your name, if you already are called Mary or named after a saint!

Abbie
04-11-2007, 15:56
Hmm yeah that is a point, I just thought you wouls of been called Sister and then maybe a tradditional name kinda, you how we have christain names

Tannie
04-11-2007, 18:10
Lea That Is A Rather Good Question:p
I'm A Catholic And I Don;t Recall A Saint Called Tanya:p That Would Be So Cool Through. I Wanna Become A Siant Now:D:p
I Don't Think You Have To Change You're Name If You Were Called Mary Or Something Or I Don't You Do Lol:p

Debs
04-11-2007, 18:43
Sister Crazylea sounds brill though!!! you should consider it lea LOL

Abbie
04-11-2007, 18:44
Sister Crazylea sounds brill though!!! you should consider it lea LOL

lol :eek: But think of what the other sisters would say
:p

StarsOfCCTV
04-11-2007, 18:46
I went on a ferry a couple of weeks ago and there were loads of nuns and sick people, and it was really rocky and one of the waves I went 'jesus' :lol: :lol: (Luckily quietly so no-one heard me)

I'm meant to be a Catholic but I don't believe half the things they do. I'd probably be kicked out if I went to church. Have do admire Nuns though they give up their whole lives to help other people, I'd never be able to do that!

Debs
04-11-2007, 18:50
I went on a ferry a couple of weeks ago and there were loads of nuns and sick people, and it was really rocky and one of the waves I went 'jesus' :lol: :lol: (Luckily quietly so no-one heard me)

I'm meant to be a Catholic but I don't believe half the things they do. I'd probably be kicked out if I went to church. Have do admire Nuns though they give up their whole lives to help other people, I'd never be able to do that!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

not a job i could do, dont they have to moments of silence? definately not something i could do then:lol:

Abigail
04-11-2007, 19:43
Some nuns don't even leave the convent at all. I was looking on wiki at nuns and they even have to have their head shaven to wear the habit :eek: I deffinatly couldn't be a nun, I'm too outspoken. I'd probably laugh during prayer.

CrazyLea
05-11-2007, 00:36
Lmao Debs!!!! :lol: I like that idea!

Chloe O'brien
05-11-2007, 21:26

I know that Tabs! :p lol Im talking about do you have to change your name, if you already are called Mary or named after a saint!

When catholic children reach the age of 11 they attend a service similar to their first communion. It's called confirmation and its when the child takes a saints name. The service is usually held in the church. The cardinal or Bishop attends and the child kneels at his feet,They are asked which Saints name they are taking then they are blessed and the child then kissed the cardinal's ring. The child also has a sponser usually a parent or adult relative who stands beside the child when they are being confirmed. My comformation name is Bernadette.

When I was at school we were encourage to consider becoming a nun or priest when we left school.