PDA

View Full Version : The bank errors in your favour. Collect £500?

Meh
27-10-2007, 00:01
Wrote a pay 'cash' cheque today for £2500. I didn't really pay attention to the cashier counting the money, but she's ended up giving £3000 in total as I've just found out (52 old twenty notes, 58 new twenty notes, and 16 fifty notes)

The options I can think of:

1. Beer money
2. Give the £500 to charity
3. Give it back to the bank.

The option I'm going with is 3 as I really wouldn't want the cashier to lose her job - all that you reap what you sow stuff. I just need to check she didn't put the cheque through as £3000.

What would other forumites do?

Abigail
27-10-2007, 00:12
I'd give it back. Once they realise that the till is up £500 the cashier will have a lot of akward questions to answer. I wouldn't want her losing her job because of my greed.

Sure, a £500 p*ss up would be great but imagine if it was the other way round. If you paid in £2500 and she only counted it as £2000 what would you do? You'd expect the bank to rectify it without question.

Abbie
27-10-2007, 00:15
yeah I would give it back, either that or charity but in the end I think the best thing to do would well i would give it back

Meh
27-10-2007, 00:15
I'd give it back. Once they realise that the till is up £500 the cashier will have a lot of akward questions to answer. I wouldn't want her losing her job because of my greed.

Sure, a £500 p*ss up would be great but imagine if it was the other way round. If you paid in £2500 and she only counted it as £2000 what would you do? You'd expect the bank to rectify it without question.

Oh yeah. I'm definitely giving it back. Wouldn't want the cashier losing her job. I bet if the boot was the other foot though I'd have to fight to the death to get the money.

CrazyLea
27-10-2007, 00:30
I would have given it back I think. But I never thought of the charity option before. I would maybe do that. But I definately wouldn't spend it on myself. But like you all say, you have to think of the cashier. But the charity option would be very tempting.. particularly if it was a charity close to your heart due to a loss.

Chloe O'brien
27-10-2007, 02:48
May god forgive me for my sins but if this bank teller has made a mistake then take the money and run. Spend it on your young family.

Jojo
27-10-2007, 09:34
Hmm ... a difficult one. I think because of the amount of money involved, I'd probably give it back to the bank, but if it were say £100 or something, then I might be "forced" to go on a pee up to wet my newborns head. I'd hate for the cashier to lose her job over it, but then again, if the bank owed me that kind of money, I'd be fighting tooth and nail for weeks before getting it back (even then if they gave it back) ..

Meh
27-10-2007, 11:36
Hmm ... a difficult one. I think because of the amount of money involved, I'd probably give it back to the bank, but if it were say £100 or something, then I might be "forced" to go on a pee up to wet my newborns head. I'd hate for the cashier to lose her job over it, but then again, if the bank owed me that kind of money, I'd be fighting tooth and nail for weeks before getting it back (even then if they gave it back) ..

This is the same bank that once gave me a fake £20 note and then implied I was trying to pull a fast one on them when I demanded a proper one in return. Only a few weeks ago at a different branch, I had problems withdrawing £1000 as they refused any identification I had. On both occasions I had to threaten to close my business account before they saw sense.

Luna
27-10-2007, 12:51
im with kath on this one take the money and run and atleast you got the cheque to prove you only requested £2500.00

Katy
27-10-2007, 14:30
i don't know to be honest. I know if tey over pay you in wages you have to give it back in stages. The moral reason is give it back, but i don't no, i'm never in that situation.

Siobhan
27-10-2007, 20:21
dilemma, dilemma.... do you give it back considering how hard it would be for you to get it back if the shoe was on the other foot??? but on the other hand, did she put it in at £3000??? if she did, then she won't lose her job cause cash and til will balance???

I would give it back.. but that is just me.. I would feel so guilty spending all that money

Meh
27-10-2007, 23:18
I checked today. She did put the cheque through as £2500.

The money will go back but they can wait for it as I won't be able to get to any branch till next Sat :D

Pinkbanana
27-10-2007, 23:40
Wow...I think thats very honest of you to return the money...I think a lot people would try to justify keeping it by saying that it was the bank's error, they unwittingly took the money - no harm done, lady luck as smiling at them, the bank can afford it...etc

I personally would return it too (even though my bank balance is permanently in the red, and a windfall would come in handy!) because I dont think I'd sleep at night if I didnt! Also I'd probably fear the man upstairs (God) would sent a bolt of lightning in my direction as payback, if I kept it...:lol:

Trinity
28-10-2007, 10:18
Dear oh dear.

Give the money back, if you spend it then they are bound to realise their mistake and then you will have to pay it back from your monthly budget.

I would definitely change banks, though. They sound totally officious and inefficient to boot.

Meh
28-10-2007, 12:06
Dear oh dear.

Give the money back, if you spend it then they are bound to realise their mistake and then you will have to pay it back from your monthly budget.

I would definitely change banks, though. They sound totally officious and inefficient to boot.

I've not come across an efficient bank yet. The only reason I stay with them is because my business bank manager is very good.

alan45
28-10-2007, 13:16
I just wish I had £2500 in my bank account:crying:

Perdita
28-10-2007, 16:51
I don't know where you would stand legally if they could prove you had the money and did not return it.:searchme: Could you get prosecuted?

Jojo
28-10-2007, 23:12
I just wish I had £2500 in my bank account:crying:

I wish I had 2,500 pennies :( :(

Siobhan
29-10-2007, 09:56
[quote=Trinity;537982]

I've not come across an efficient bank yet. The only reason I stay with them is because my business bank manager is very good.

I have a great bank... they always ring me and ask me do I want more money... and I never had an issues with them...