PDA

View Full Version : EastEnders - rewrite of Friday's episode

Lizzie Brookes
07-10-2007, 21:46
I understand why Jane reacted as she did. It was obviously a shock when Steven came onto her the way he did and I don't believe it was part of hisrevenge against ian. I think he does have a crush on Jane but being very mixed up, he misread the signals and responded the wrong way. Jane, who was busy feeling anxious about ian and steven being a complete stranger to her naturally got angry that he did that but I don't think she handled it the right way since he is unhinged though she does not yet realise that.

Friday.

In the Beale House.

Steven: Jane...
Jane: Steven, what is it? You can tell me. (places hands on shoulders and holds his head).

Steven puts his hands on Jane's shoulders, moves in and kisses her. She reels back, horrified.

Jane: Steven...
Steven: I'm sorry...I...
Jane: How could you?
Stevem: I just thought...

Jane sinks into a chair.

Steven: Jane...
Jane: Don't say anything. Not yet.
Steven: Should I go?
Jane: No. Stay here. Just...don't say anything yet. I need to think.

Pause. Steven looks at her, waiting.

Jane: Steven, you shouldn't have done that.
Steven: I know. It was a mistake. Are you going to throw me out?
Jane (heplessly): I don't know yet. What made you do that?
Steven: I don't know. I just did.
Jane: Steven, I'm married.
Steven: I realise that.
Jane: And I'm far older than you.
Steven: I know.
Jane: Is this what it's all been about? When you said I would find a new man and everything?

Steven doesn't reply.

Jane: Sit down

Steven sits down.

Jane: I can't pretend I'm not angry with you. Don't ever do that again.
Steven: I won't. Don't worry.
Jane: Because if you do I will have no choice but to ask you to leave.
Steven: I understand.
Jane: I wanted you to open up. I didn't expect you to do that. I was just trying to get you to talk to me.
Steven: I didn't uunderstand.
Jane: Ian told me.

Steven's face darkens.

Steven: Ian told you what?
Jane: You wrote poison pen letters to half of Walford once.

Steven stiffens.

Jane: I didn't realise that you were (carefully) that you, were so (tries to find the right word) intense about everything.

Steven sighs.

Jane: Steven, I can't reciprocate your feelings.
Steven: I know.
Jane: Well - look - let us just pretend it never happened.
Steven: Ok. Thanks.
Jane: But remember, if you ever need to talk about anything, I'm here.
Steven: Yes.

Jane calms down.

Jane: Then we'll say no more about this. I'm sorry if I was about to fly off the handle with you. I've been very stressed out, what with Ian being missing and looking after your brother and sister, the buisinesses and all.

Steven: When they are not in school, I'll spend time with them, keep them out of your way.

Jane: Thanks Steven. That's very thoughtful of you.

Jane picks up a photo of Ian and looks at it. Steven looks away.

Jane: I really miss him you know Steven. I know yuou and ian were not always the best of friends but ity is just such a relief to let this all out. I can't really talk to Peter and Lucy and Pat has her own life. She can't always be there for me.

Steven's leg trembles.

Jane: So I want you to know how glad I am that you are here.

Steven: Ian sent that text so he must be all right.

Jane: I know. I hope it leads to him comming back. I miss him so much.

Steven looks at her quizzically.

Steven: You really love him that much?

Jane (looking surprised): Well, yes.

Steven (hesitating): Well, keep hoping for the best. He may eventually turn up. We must all pull together. Remain strong. I'll be there for you.

Jane: Thanks Steven.

Steven: Don't mention it. Actually, do you mind if i leave you for a moment? I need to make a phone call.

Jane: No. Is it important?

Steven: Yes, it is. In fact, well...this mate of mine lives out in West London and I promised i would visit him so I may be out of Walford tomorrow but i'll be back.

Jane: Ok then - and steven, thanks for everything...

Scene changes. Steven packs his bag and rings someone

Steven: I need to reserve a seat on the train tomorrow. Yes. Thanks. (hangs up)

Fade with closing music.

Kim
08-10-2007, 17:49
I liked the ending of that particularly. I'm surprised the poison pen letters haven't been brought up in EastEnders yet.

Lizzie Brookes
08-10-2007, 17:57
Thanks. I've seen EastEnders since I was 12 and am 20 now so I'm quite familiarr with the way in which they seem to end the episodes. Yes I am surprised too. I suppose everyone's forgotten about the poison pen letter buisiness - it was years ago after all.