PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Taylor interview

irish eyes
07-09-2007, 14:56
Georgia Taylor

Friday, September 7 2007, 14:09 BST

By Kris Green, Soaps Editor
Georgia Taylor

In her first major television role since Coronation Street, Georgia Taylor takes on the part of one of Casualty's latest student intake.

The 27-year-old actress - who plays the cold-hearted and misunderstood F2 doctor Ruth Winters - has a dark past which viewers will see unfold later in the series.

Digital Spy caught up with Georgia to talk about her character, what it's like filming with the BBC's flagship medical show, the medical jargon and whether she'd ever make a Weatherfield return.

What have you been up to since you left Corrie?
"I've done guest spots on a lot of TV shows; Life on Mars, Lilies, Red Cap, The Royal, Where The Heart Is… I did a series for the BBC called Blackpool with David Morrissey and Sarah Parish… I've done small parts in a couple of films, lots of theatre. I've been really busy but just not doing a lot of high-profile stuff."

The most exciting thing you've done has to be Life on Mars then?
"That was cool to do because I'm a massive fan of the show and I love John Simm – I think he's great. The theatre stuff I've done has just been a real revelation to me. I've absolutely loved it."

What about Ashes To Ashes? Would you want to appear in that?
"I so would. And that's 80s as well. I've done something with a bit of 80s to it recently. I had the biggest hair. I'd love to be in it, yeah. Good cast as well."

What's you Casualty character called?
"Dr Ruth Winters – just a big of a give away that she's a bit cold…"

How does she come to be at the hospital? How does she turn up?
"She's just finished her training. She's what's called an F2 – foundation year two – doctor and she's been assigned to Holby in the emergency department - as has Matt Needham's character [Toby de Silva] and they arrive together. They get the tour from Charlie and just start shadowing all the different doctors.

"It's nice because we get to work with a lot of different people because our characters are all over the place."

What's been the best moment for you since if you started filming?
"I'd not watched Casualty for a couple of years [when I landed the role] so a lot of people I didn't actually know. And we've got a new set as well, so that's all different."

What does the series hold for your character?
"I don't know how much I can say but she's basically just a cold fish for the first few episodes and people don't know why she's like that. It's safe to say that she doesn't endear herself to the nurses and a lot of other people. And then toward episode seven, a member of her family turns up and you learn a lot more about the way she is and why she's so driven. Hopefully viewers will then understand her more and like her more.

"You can't join Casualty without a dark past! I think most character have something shady about them."

On your first day filming, was there anyone who showed you the ropes and introduced you to everyone?
"No, not really. They all welcome you. The first scene that I did was with Susan Cookson – who's just fantastic and a good, northern lady – she was funny. They were just all so welcoming. It's really quite a small cast for such a long-running show so you meet everybody really quickly and you get to know them really quickly."

How long are you with the show for?
"I can't say but I'll be here for a while yet…"

Have there been any guest artists filming while you've been there?
"Yeh, there have been quite a few. We had one called Nigel Terry who's a big film start from years ago – he was a fantastic character to have around. Antony Flanagan, Gaynor Faye, Rosemary Leach – there are loads."

What's the turnaround time like on Casualty? How quickly do you turn around episodes from receiving your script?
"It's quite manic actually. There's a lot to do. There'll be two or three crews on at the same time. One lot filming on-location for, say, episode three; one lot in the studio doing episode one; and then you might be doing a bit of episode four somewhere else! It's pretty relentless actually! You need to try and keep your wits about you!"

What about the latin medical terms? How have you fared remembering those?
"The medical gubbins as we call it… The thing is, you have to learn it phonetically. The hilarious thing is when you've spent ages learning it and then when you get in there, you do the run through and whoever the medic is on set says to you 'oh, no, you don't say it like that' and then you have to retrain yourself! Sometimes you just can't. It's funny and certainly because she feels like she has a lot to prove and is a bit of a show off, she says more than need to be said. She says 100 words when only 10 would do. So I have paragraphs and paragraphs or speech!"

What's been the funniest moment on set since you've been there?
"I laugh every day. I'm hysterical every say. We find humour in the absurdity that we're all dressed up pretending to be doctors without stethoscopes around our necks like some sort of accessory."

Touching back with Coronation Street again - there were reports just before you landed the part in Casualty that Jane Danson wanted you back. What was the situation? Did they ever ask you?
"She's got all the power than girl! No, they haven't ask me back recently. They asked me back years ago for a couple of episodes to be a guest at someone's wedding but I was a filming something else at the time so it wasn't do-able. I haven't heard anything, so no. I thin kit's whenever there's a story about me doing anything, the newspapers just say 'oh, she's been asked back by Corrie'. There was certainly no bidding war over me!"

Would you ever rule out a return?
No, I wouldn't rule it out. Not at all. I had a great time there but I'm really not evern thinking about that. I'm enjoying it here, enjoying Bristol, having a laugh. They're all great.

Series 22 of Casualty kicks off with a two-parter, airing Saturday, September 8 at 8.25pm and Sunday, September 9 at 8pm.
More