PDA

View Full Version : Klaxons Win Prestigious Nationwide Mercury Award

Bryan
05-09-2007, 11:02
Amy Winehouse was the focus of attention at the Nationwide Mercury Prize ceremony - but in the end, "new rave" group Klaxons stole her limelight by scooping the prestigious album award.

The audience fell silent for Amy Winehouse's performance
The main questions on everyone's lips as the ceremony began were - is she here, and will she perform?

Something peculiar has happened to Amy Winehouse, and I'm not talking about the drugs.

Over the past few months, she has become such a worshipped and tortured enigma that her appearances now seem like visitations from some sort of mythical figure.

That was how it felt at the Mercury on Tuesday.

There were rumours that she was in the building, yet the letters VT were listed next to her name on the running order - in other words, her performance would be on video tape.

Nobody was sure whether she would actually sing in person until host Jools Holland announced her name and she stepped up to the stage.

Like her fellow nominees, she performed just one song. The room was silent as she sang, backed by one man with an acoustic guitar.

And it was a stunning performance. Sensational. Spine-tingling. The stuff legends really are made of.

Sucker punch

Her searing jazz voice and sparse arrangement turned her choice of song, Love is a Losing Game, into an emotional sucker punch.

She made her way through the song with no problems, but looked lost as she stood on stage when she had finished.

After being prompted by Jools, she walked over to him, kissed him on the cheek and collected the trophy that all the nominated acts received.

She mumbled a couple of words into the microphone - probably "thank you" - and then shrugged to signal that she did not know what else to say.

Klaxons indulged in an ecstatic hug when they won
On climbing down from the stage, she moved to her table, embraced her father Mitch and sat down between him and her husband Blake Fielder-Civil.

The couple then indulged in a public display of affection and spent most of the rest of the night with their arms draped around each other.

But as well-received as she was, her performance was not enough to convince the judges that her album was the best of the last 12 months.

When Jools announced the name of Klaxons, she applauded politely while, on the other side of the room, the four band members jumped up and embraced in ecstasy.

Some bands like to play it cool when it comes to awards, but not Klaxons - they want their album to be heard and liked by as many people as possible, and they revel in the acclaim.

The quartet, who look like a cross between extras from Mad Max and backing singers from Top of the Pops circa 1983, stand out for being a rock group who are not ashamed to play pop music.

Klaxons were in high spirits after the award was handed over
In that way, they are a throwback to the 1980s - they have a highly individual, flamboyant style, credible musicianship and a desire to make music for the masses.

Backstage, facing the post-match press conference, singer and keyboardist James Righton, wearing a gold lame shirt, stumbled in front of the microphones, raised both arms and let out a "woo!"

His bandmate Jamie Reynolds said: "We just won the Mercury 2007 and we couldn't be any happier.

"We think it's about the fact that they respect forward-thinking music and we think we made the most forward-thinking record. Everybody else recognised it."

It was quite a shame that every question we got asked today was about whether Amy Winehouse was going to win

James Righton
Klaxons
James slurred: "I think we should say as soon as we won, we all needed to just hug each other. It was quite emotional."

Were they surprised to have beaten Amy? "No," came the immediate response from Jamie.

"I thought that she gave a fantastic performance and I absolutely love her record.

"But her record is a retro record and we've made the most forward-thinking record in I don't know how long.

"I think that's what the Mercury is about, and not about a retro record, so I think we deservedly beat Amy Winehouse."

James added: "It was quite a shame that every question we got asked today was about whether Amy Winehouse was going to win the award.

"It took the focus away from the fact that the Mercury Music Prize is about music."

Bryan
05-09-2007, 11:07
The fact that she's been tipped to win it since she released the Albumn has something to say for her, she was the one who deserved to win, and this performance last night shows it:

YouTube - Amy Winehouse performs at the Mercury Awards

despite all the crap that everyone has thrown at her, she delivered the goods, as good as ever, she had guts to go out there and peform despite everyone's critiscms of her, and man did she perform.

She was blatantly robbed of the award, it says on the Nationwide Mercury Award website that they judge it only on the music from the albumn and nothing else, this is blatant lies, they've only not chosen her becuase of her bad reputation she's got for drink, drugs and gig cancelling, if she'd be perfect and shiny good like Corrine Bailey Rai and all that drivel she'd have got the award last night hands down.

And as for The Klaxons, don't get me started. I was a fan of their music, but not after hearing them slag off Amy, cocky little swines. Where is the modesty in saying they deserved to win? Not like they'll be around in five years time. I thought everyone stood up for one another in the music industry, rather than handing out digs to one another, my respect for that group has now been lost. :thumbsdow

Sorry, rant over :D

Layne
05-09-2007, 18:32
Amy's performance was very very good, but i do personally think that the Klaxons did deserve to win, they are amazing. There album is good and they are amazing live.

Abigail
05-09-2007, 19:14
The Klaxons are donating the £20k prize money to charity. They haven't decided which one yet but they want it to go to a worthy cause.

Bryan
05-09-2007, 19:35
The Klaxons are donating the £20k prize money to charity. They haven't decided which one yet but they want it to go to a worthy cause.

I should hope so! Whoever won it should have done that, they get paid millions as it is, 20k is nothing to them.

Chloe O'brien
06-09-2007, 19:55
I didn't see the awards but credit to Amy for appearing and performing after all the trouble that has been going on in her personal life lately. The last thing she needs is fellow performers slagging her off.

Abi
06-09-2007, 21:11
Were they surprised to have beaten Amy? "No," came the immediate response from Jamie.

"I thought that she gave a fantastic performance and I absolutely love her record.

"But her record is a retro record and we've made the most forward-thinking record in I don't know how long.

"I think that's what the Mercury is about, and not about a retro record, so I think we deservedly beat Amy Winehouse."

James added: "It was quite a shame that every question we got asked today was about whether Amy Winehouse was going to win the award.

"It took the focus away from the fact that the Mercury Music Prize is about music."

I agree. She's a singer with a drug problem- why the big deal about if she will perform or not? No one would care if it was Pete Doherty, and they have the same problem.

CrazyLea
07-09-2007, 01:29
I'm sorry. But I personally have no respect for Amy. ANYONE pon drugs has lost myt rspect straight away. And I had "mates" on drugs and didnnt like them. But for someone like Amy to be druggie, somene in the lime line,someone who should be a role odle for children and teenagers is just so horrific... i dont see why she should win anything reguadless of whether she deserves it or not.. its saying to children and tennagesers that drugs win !! if you ask me!! thats just my opinion i have a strong opinion on drugs - through experience!"""

Katy
07-09-2007, 09:11
RIght one question - who are the Klaxons??????

pookie1968uk
07-09-2007, 14:37
I'm sorry. But I personally have no respect for Amy. ANYONE pon drugs has lost myt rspect straight away. And I had "mates" on drugs and didnnt like them. But for someone like Amy to be druggie, somene in the lime line,someone who should be a role odle for children and teenagers is just so horrific... i dont see why she should win anything reguadless of whether she deserves it or not.. its saying to children and tennagesers that drugs win !! if you ask me!! thats just my opinion i have a strong opinion on drugs - through experience!"""

i agree with you completely. i dont even think they should be playing her single about rehab. it is just making drugs and rehab seem no big deal. she needs to completely get away from the public eye and sort herself out.

Bryan
07-09-2007, 14:40

They're and electro-inide band, probably most famous for singing Golden Skans and It's Not Over Yet

Abigail
07-09-2007, 19:05

They're and electro-inide band, probably most famous for singing Golden Skans and It's Not Over Yet

You've probably heard this one but not realised who it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6f7D-0tIKE

Katy
07-09-2007, 22:05
Nope no idea who they are and never heard the song. I'm surprised actually as i am always listening to the radio. I'll have to keep an ear out.

Chris_2k11
09-09-2007, 15:32
you've bound to have heard them on corrie Katy, that Morton lad is obsessed with them

Bryan
09-09-2007, 16:04
you've bound to have heard them on corrie Katy, that Morton lad is obsessed with them

Corrie has a serious problem with the music they choose.

I've lost track of the times Amy Winehouse is being played in the Rovers, practically every time you go in the rovers that's what's playing in the background.

Yes Corrie is that boring atm that I'm hearing out for the background music.