PDA

View Full Version : What is the world coming too???

Siobhan
24-08-2007, 14:42
What is happening in the world today? has people gone mad or is there something in the water.. 11 year old been shot by 13 year olds??? the amount of gun crimes is just mental.
Yesterday on the news, a guy got 3 years probation for 24 counts of indecent assault on minor, one as young as 18 months old.
Has this always been the case? were things simply back in the 70's and 80 when I was grown up.. A murder would make the news for months cause it was so big, now it seems common place.
Is there a different sets of rules for today teenagers? are parent less strict on children??

alan45
24-08-2007, 17:03
The Police really seem to have their priorities all wrong. What idiot was responsible for charging a child who threw a cocktail sausage at an OAP.

What was wrong not enough poor speeding motorists to book. Whoever it was obviously had too much time on his hands. Time he was posted to a tough area to some real Police work:angry:

Chloe O'brien
24-08-2007, 19:56
One of the problems is that the police and now nolonger patroling the streets as much as they are as they are having to deal with the bearucratic or paper work. Also even when they are arresting thugs it's a waste of time because some do-gooder has stuck their nose in and the criminal has got off scotch-free. And if they arrest a young person it is highly likely that when they approach the parents they are verbally and phsyically abused.

There was an incident up in edinburgh last week where residents are refusing to live on a street because a gang of youths are runing riot with hosue breaking and smashing up cars. One resident reported them to the police. while she was at work the same youth broke into her home and wrecked it. They stole records and photographs and scattered them all over the streets. When the resident came home and found out what had happened, she again told them that she is calling the police. The gang told her do what you like but the police won't come. And that is a harsh reality of today's society. The police can only do so much but when parents are refusing to control and disciplin their children or when courts are giving out stupid convictions what are they to do.

DaVeyWaVey
24-08-2007, 20:18
Some of the stuff on the news lately has been really awful! I may be a teenager myself but i do know right from wrong and what fellow teenagers get away with today is quite awful! I think one problem is that the law is too leniant these days - for example, criminals should serve their full prison sentence, instead of getting early releases because of appeals due to "good behaviour" :rolleyes:

Some parents are also probably way too leniant on kids and make them do whatever they like and never punish them for anything they do wrong - meaning they'll never know good from bad.

Maybe teenagers and young adults who get in trouble with the law should go to some boot camp or something where they can be taught how to respect other people and their property - maybe then crimes and bad behaviour will decrease in this country.

*-Rooney-*
24-08-2007, 20:31
there was a teen in my area who got sentenced for 8 month for hitting another guy at the back of the head with a hammer, so he will be out in 4 month for a crime that could have ended up fatal, as he could have killed the guy,

Jojo
25-08-2007, 08:40
To me there are a number of problems happening.

Firstly, children aren't being taught respect anymore - parents are told by Health Visitors that they shouldn't shout at their child, smack their child or feed negative comments to them. So, Child A goes shoplifting etc and mum/dad are supposed to say "please don't do that as its not a nice thing to do". Well that is really going to make a difference isn't it!

Then you get police trying to arrest or chastise young offenders, yet again, as soon as they arrest them, they are contravening that persons "human rights" in one way or another. A friend of mine who is a Special was recently stabbed in the stomach with a broken bottle, and was extremely lucky that he was wearing his stab vest. Yet if he had retaliated and smacked the person responsible, a) he would have been up on disciplinary anyway, and b) would probably have had problems with being racist in one way or another because the guy was Polish. Yet this friend was only there to try and sort out an apparent sexual assault.

The law is a complete ass - an 11yr old being charged with an assault after throwing a cocktail sausage which hit an OAP - apparently he had been subjected to bullying from other children for a number of months/years and simply finally retaliated. What on earth were they thinking taking that to court?!

And then finally, when you do prosecute someone, even if they are found guilty, you then find they are going to the European Court of Human Rights because their human rights have been taken away from them by being sentenced (an example springs to mind of the killer of the Headteacher last year who has recently gone to the Court with regards to his "human rights" which IMO he relinquished the minute he killed another human being).

Jail isn't punishment, for some its a holiday. There is no fear of anything and people are being allowed to do whatever they want, which is making me not want to live here any more. Yes you get it in a lot of countries these days, but these Human Rights things are going way over the top.

Parents have to take some form of responsibility when it comes to knowing where their children are, what they are doing and making sure they know the meaning of the word respect, but sadly, as first time parents, they're advised to never shout, chastise or smack which is sending the totally wrong message out.

Oh and don't get me started on the disgusting Bristol paedophile or the judge who decided that a community order was an appropriate sentence. :angry:

thestud2k7
25-08-2007, 18:40
We are too PC these days

bring back national service i say

DaVeyWaVey
25-08-2007, 18:56
Only give young people who have broke the law national service though - i wouldn't want to do national service when i have never been in trouble with the law and know how to respect the people around me and their property.

alan45
25-08-2007, 19:27
We are too PC these days

bring back national service i say
Hanging and Corporal Punishment is the only language thes thugs will understand.

As JoJo stated earlier it really is the fault of the parents and if they were made responsible for the crime of their offspring then they may take notice.

When I was a teenager many moons ago people respected the poilice. Manys a clip round the ear I got from the local Bobby for such crimes as no lights on a bike and playing football in the street. I got another from my father when I got home because ''The police wouldnt have bothered with you if you had been doing no wrong''

Siobhan
27-08-2007, 11:30
I was think about this over the weekend.. I think what Em said is correct, Parents are to easy on kids, they are told they can't say negative words like Can't Don't but what do you say to your child if they have done something really wrong? prison is not an answer either!!
A lot to do with it is material possessions. Kids have to have the latest this, the latest that and parent are under more pressure to provide it to them. Parent have to work harder and longer hours to get promote or just to make ends meet. Is there enough time for your children nowadays?? Most parent feel not but instead of spending quality time with their kids, they shower them with gift so make up for short comings thus they have to work harder or go more into debt to make up for the gifts.
Kids are seriously lacking repect for elders, police and general services. How many times has a bus service been disrupted cause of stuff been thrown at it? I know I have had to enjure been mugged and had brick thrown at my bus.. Where are the parents when kids are out on the streets doing this?
Is it the governments fault for not providing stuff for kids to do, instead of hanging around the streets? Are we as parent responsible for not instilling disipline and respect in our kids?

Personally, I feel overlooked at work cause I have kids and I can't come in at 7am and work til 8pm... My kids come first and who cares if they have a HD tv or a normal one, still the same quality of programming can be viewed on both. I give my kids what they need, not what they want. I don't care if other parent/people look down on my kids for not having high fashion or the latest stuff. My kids are loved, happy and healthy. I do feel sorry for them that they have this peer pressure (even at 5 years old) but I think it would be worst for me and them to run myself into debt just so they have these material goods. What happen to "the best things in life are free"? that seems to have gone out the window with the true meaning of christmas....

Ok. .that is my rant over.. it just annoys me that murders, rapist and peodphiles get slap wrist nowaday.. what is that teaching kids? It is ok to do what the hell you like cause you will not spend long in prison and be able to go do it again

*-Rooney-*
27-08-2007, 11:48
another thing i dont understand is parents arent allowed to punish their child by smacking or using negative words but in another context they say if children truant parents will be charged exactly how can parents make them go to school and stop them truanting (other than sitting next to them for the whole day in class) if their not allowed to speak negatively to them

i do agree that some parents do think that they are better parents if they spend more money on them i.e i know a person who spent 1 thousand on her sons 16th buying him a top of the range laptop, and lots of designer clothes and trainers, and he also got a thousand in cash from his grand parents to buy a scooter. IMO that is far too much for any 16 year old. If i had a son and he wanted a laptop or a scooter he wouldnt get it for birthday i would tell him to get a job and save up for it, not give it to him on a plate, maybe his 21st not his 16th he is still a child

Chloe O'brien
27-08-2007, 20:26
I think that these PC doo-gooders are as much to blame as parents for mollycodilling children and trying to make excuses for them. We had a incident last year with a pupil in one of the motor vehicle classes. He either was late or absent most days and when he did make an apperence at college he did nothing but disrespect the lecturer and distrupt the class. He was sent a number of letters raising the concerns about his behaviour and attidude. It got to the point that the other students in the class were refusing to attend if he wasn't removed. The head of the department tried to have him expelled but the do-gooders in student support were against chucking him out because it would look bad for the college. Eventually a hearing was held between him, his mother and the principal it was discovered that the lad's mother was unaware of his behaviour and didn't believe a word of it anyway.

Most of these panel and hearings are made up of people who have never had kids, they may have a list of certificates and qualifiacations after their names but they have no common sense and instead of punishing them they are rewarded.

My nephew was put into care when he was nine due to family problems he was placed with foster parents until the age of 12. In those three years he was given a £250 clothing grant every three months and £10 a week pocket money. When he returned to my sister all the funding stopped but he began to rebel against my sister. He started playing truant and wrecking the house so he would be put back into care to get the money again. When my sister phoned the social worker about his behaviour he was taken out for ice cream and told now what you did was naugthy you mustn't do it again.

Word gets around amongst young people that if they don't go to school or vandalise a few properties then yes they will get put into a home but it's cool because you get more money than you would at home, you get to stay out as late as you like as the workers in the home can't touch you.