PDA

View Full Version : No Celebrity Big Brother In 2008!

Bryan
24-08-2007, 12:27
Channel 4 head of programmes Julian Bellamy has confirmed that there will be no Celebrity Big Brother in 2008.

Bellamy cited a process of "creative renewal" as the reason behind the decision, noting that it will free up close to 30 hours of 9pm programming for "the new and the exciting". He characterised the decision as being of a "public service" nature in order to make room for "genuinely educational and informative television in the guise of entertainment."

"If we wanted to take the easy path we'd recommission all of these shows and we'd probably do two series of Celebrity Big Brother if ratings were all we were after. These are the decisions of a public service broadcaster in search of the new and the exciting."

Channel 4 is currently in discussions with Endemol regarding an "experimental" version of Big Brother for E4 in January.

Kevin Lygo, the channel's director of television and content told DS that it was time to "rest" Big Brother on Channel 4 in between the summer series in order "to build anticipation."

DaVeyWaVey
24-08-2007, 12:30
I think this is a good idea. I've never been too keen on the Celebrity Big Brothers anyway - always prefer the series of the show in the summer. I just hope that C4 actually make some decent shows in the time slot that will not be filled by CBB. I'd like to see more "real life" type documentaries and maybe some good new dramas too.

Bryan
24-08-2007, 12:35
Celebrity Big Brother will not return next year following the race row and as part of a shake-up of Channel 4's 9pm weeknight slot that will also see a cull of several factual entertainment shows.

C4 has axed You Are What You Eat, Brat Camp, It's Me Or The Dog and Selling Homes Abroad as part of the shake-up of the schedule to make way for new shows.

Already confirmed for the slot in January is a fly-on-the-wall documentary series from Firefly with the working title The Family in an echo of Paul Watson's iconic 1970s series. A family will have cameras installed throughout their home to document every aspect of their lives.

C4 has also extended Cutting Edge's run in the slot from 16 this year, split into two eight-part runs, to at least 20 and up to 30.

In a tacit admission of how the media storm over Jade Goody's behaviour in this year's Celebrity Big Brother overshadowed the regular version, head of C4 Julian Bellamy said he wanted to create "more anticipation" for the show's non- celebrity ninth season, due next summer.

"After the race row, it was constantly in the press and part of the national conversation at a time when traditionally it was off our screens - it feels like it has never been away this year," he said.

C4 has now aired five seasons of the celebrity version, the most recent of which ran for three weeks. It previously skipped a year between Big Brother seasons four and five.

The channel will decide next year whether the celebrity version will return in 2009 or beyond.

"Resting Celebrity Big Brother will benefit the format in the longer term as it will have a bit of breathing space," Bellamy said.

He denied, however, that celebrities had been put off the show after this year's fracas. "People have been predicting that celebrities wouldn't want to go in the house after Les Dennis' experience in season two, but that's not been the case."

Bellamy admitted: "There is, however, a general issue of supply and demand and it's getting harder to book celebrities."

He said that ending some of C4's factual entertainment shows would lead a "creative renewal" of the channel.

"C4 should be constantly restless and that means clearing some space to try new things," he said.

Luna
24-08-2007, 12:38
No Paris wwoooo hooooooo :cheer:

DaVeyWaVey
24-08-2007, 12:41
Well i'm glad they've axed You Are What You Eat...Gillian McKeith talking about poo was hardly what i called "interesting" television!

Siobhan
24-08-2007, 12:44
Well i'm glad they've axed You Are What You Eat...Gillian McKeith talking about poo was hardly what i called "interesting" television!

yeah me too.. she looks like Skelator.. who wants advise from a walking stick???
I only ever watched one CCBB, so it is not great loss for me. I don't want them to axe supernanny.. I need my tips to control the kids

Bryan
24-08-2007, 12:57
they just said on Radio 1 that it will return in 2009.

If it means the producers can spend more time focusing on BB9, then it'll be worth it.

Luna
24-08-2007, 12:58
they cant axe its me or the dog!!! I love that show!!!

Chloe O'brien
24-08-2007, 20:16
They can't axe Supernanny what would I do with the naughty step. CBB is better if its every two years for Comic Relief.

StarsOfCCTV
24-08-2007, 23:04
I've gone off BB a bit this year, last year was the best BB :p I did like brat camp though, that was funny, but apart from that the other shows I dont really watch :p

.:SpIcYsPy:.
25-08-2007, 20:56
No way! I love 'Its me or the dog'!! Such a shame, not sure about CBB but can't help feeling a bit :( about it.. I think I rather miss the BB and show the CBB..

Bryan
26-08-2007, 18:23
personally I prefer the celeb version, as you already know who you're dealing with and it's great to see these Z listers thinking they are something special, then being publically humiliated by Big Brother, by making them do demeaning tasks.

Still at least we have I'm A Celeb in the meantime.