PDA

View Full Version : Tactfull way to tell brother to "lay off"

Rain_
23-08-2007, 11:02
Probably not my problem but i'm sick of saying "give the guy a chance"

Ok the short of it is....my brother is a HGV driver for a local warehouse. He and the previous driver had the run of deleveries down to a tee. His partner (previous driver) left to go to a different job and now the company is employing a polish driver who has never driven on the left hand side of the road before. The polish driver is making tons of mistakes due to this and the rest of the drivers/staff are making fun of him. My brother has no room to talk, as although we are english citizens, we are Ukrainian born, didn't move to england till we were 16, and had to start somewhere ourselves. How do i explain politely that we were in that situation ourselves at some point and to ease up on the new driver???? It's hard for me to say this, but from what i've heard, my brother and the rest of the staff are bordering on bullying.

Any advice on the right way to approach this situation? as i do feel sorry for the new driver.

P.S my brother is an asshole

Kim
23-08-2007, 12:43
You could try saying to your brother that the new driver is probably doing his best, and that anyone would take time to get used to the job. Everyone's obviously got to start somewhere, and I'm sure your brother wasn't as good as the other staff when he started HGV driving. Also, with the polish driver being a lot older than you and your brother were when you moved to England, and so it is going to take him longer to adjust as he has no choice but to go and earn money for himself without really getting used to driving on the left side of the road beforehand.

Siobhan
23-08-2007, 12:47
if your brother is as much of a ass as you say he is, then don't beat around the bush trying to be tactful, just tell it to him straight.
From what you wrote, i don't think it is mean and your brother will understand if you said it exactly like you just said to us. Tell him that you feel his is a bit of a bully and to give the guy a chance.. Ask him how he felt when he first came to the UK

Chloe O'brien
23-08-2007, 23:25
It's hard for anyone to fit in when they start a new job whether it is in their home town or not. I think you should tell your brother straight to give this new polish man a break, maybe if you're brother is reminded that he too was once new to a strange country then he wouldn't be making fun of the new guy.

Rain_
24-08-2007, 07:42
I've just made him sit down and read this thread. He had the good grace to look ashamed and has said when he gets to work this morning he will make an effort. He will also say something to the other staff about it.

So a HUGE thanks guys