PDA

View Full Version : BBC Elstree, Eastenders Studio Up for Sale Tommorrow

slater girl
15-08-2007, 20:02
This is from Digital Spy News Website Page

BBC is to put the studio and £150m of other outside broadcast, studio and post-production operations on the market

The BBC has announced the process for the sale of its commercial subsidiary, BBC Resources.

BBC Resources is one of the UK's leading providers of broadcast production facilities and services, and consists of three divisions: BBC Outside Broadcasts, BBC Studios and BBC Post Production, which have combined revenues of around £125 million.

The sale comes as a result of a BBC commercial review, which concluded the corporation should only own commercial businesses that either "export or exploit the BBC brand or content."

The BBC has already sold BBC Broadcast to Macquarie, and has since been renamed Red Bee Media.

A statement from the corporation said that: "Whilst the services provided by BBC Resources are vital to the BBC, they do not need to be owned by the BBC anymore."

"The BBC believes that the combination of BBC Resources under new commercial ownership and a continued partnership with the BBC will mean the corporation can leverage its strong relationship and heritage with BBC Resources. A new owner will provide the profitable and cash generative business with further opportunities for growth, which are not available whilst it is owned by the BBC, balanced with the stability of ongoing contracts with the BBC," the statement said.

Mike Southgate, chief executive, BBC Resources, said: "BBC Resources is full of talent, with a world-class reputation for understanding production values and programme making, both at the BBC and across the media marketplace. Taking our BBC heritage, the sale offers us the chance to grow the business and continue to lead the rapid changes taking place."

Advertisements will appear in the Financial Times, The Times and UK trade magazine Broadcast tomorrow Thursday August 16.

Andrew Thornton, project director, BBC, who is leading the sale, said: "This is a unique opportunity for any potential bidder; it's not everyday such a treasure trove of outstanding expertise and skills comes on the market. We are looking for a partner that will nurture this and continue to work closely with us to provide the unrivalled quality of services we need, as well as to capitalise on this in the wider industry."

It is expected that the sale of the business and transfer of BBC Resources staff to the successful bidder will take place by the end of March 2008, subject to contract negotiations and approvals. The sale is subject to the necessary approvals by the BBC's Executive Board and the BBC Trust.

The BBC said that it recognises the importance of staff in the sale process and will fully consult with the Unions and "work closely with staff to achieve a smooth transition during this process."

John Smith, chief executive, BBC Worldwide and BBC Board Sponsor for the sale, said: "We are committed to getting the best value for the BBC and licence fee payers, whilst putting staff interests at the heart of the process."

slater girl
15-08-2007, 20:05
Will that mean the eastenders will move location or stay at the same location, any ideas anyone please, what do you reckon will happen to the eastenders cast and crew and the eastenders sets.

Abi
15-08-2007, 20:21
I *think* they might be moving to Pinewood. Thats what i heard, at least.

samantha nixon
15-08-2007, 20:33
I've heard that it is moving to pinewood aswell (i think its on here somewhere aswell)

slater girl
15-08-2007, 20:39
Pinewood studios is based at ivers heath in buckinghamshire, it is just of junction 16 of the m25, you have to go to where it is signposted Uxbridge and then join the M40 and leave the junction at Junction 1 signposted slough.

This will take you to pinewood, i know i have just checked the route if the eastenders cast is moving over their, it is 1 hr and 11 minutes to drive to pinewood studios from where i live.

Jojo
15-08-2007, 20:42
I think I saw something on here about it too, I think it coincided with a story about Holby/Casualty sets moving from Bristol...:hmm:

Layne
15-08-2007, 21:15
Isn't everything at Pinewood studios??:confused:

Jojo
15-08-2007, 21:16
http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=68727

Found it - EE moving from Elstree to Pinewood and Casualty poss moving from Bristol to Wales....

Richie_lecturer
15-08-2007, 23:31
Pinewood

Maybe EE really is turning into a horror show....

alan45
15-08-2007, 23:38
Pinewood

Maybe EE really is turning into a horror show....Yeah its going to be called Mitchellenders:rotfl:

slater girl
28-08-2007, 15:53
Posted originally from the borehamwood & Elstree Times newspaper website

This is from the local newspaper at elstree & borehamwood

BBC not selling Elstree - yet
By Emma Hutchings

The BBC insists it has not made a decision to sell BBC Elstree, despite reports in the national press to the contrary.

As reported by the Borehamwood & Elstree Times yesterday, the corporation is to sell off its BBC Resources subsidiary - which includes production facilities at their studios in Clarendon Road, Borehamwood.

Today, a BBC spokeswoman said reports of selling the studio, which includes the EastEnders and Holby City sets, in some national newspapers were wrong.

advertisementHowever, the corporation is reviewing its property ownership and the option to sell the buildings and studios at BBC Elstree is being considered.

The spokeswoman said: "It's not to do with selling off studios or the site. That's a separate issue that we are looking at."

She added that the BBC needs to make savings, which is why it is looking at possibly selling properties.

"We get an amount of money through the licence fee at the beginning of the year," she said. "We didn't get as much as we would have liked to to do what we want to do."

The BBC bought the Clarendon Road site from ATV in the Eighties. It was the first studio site to be built in Borehamwood in 1914.

slater girl
28-08-2007, 15:54
So it looks like the bbc has told the local newspaper they are not selling bbc elstree, it is just rumours going around, i found this at the local newspaper website as i went to borehamwood today and brought they paper and found it on their website.

Looks like eastenders is staying where it is.

bakedbean
28-08-2007, 17:07
I wonder if they actually will sell the studios???

slater girl
28-08-2007, 17:13
I have heard on the borehamwood & elstree newspaper website that they plan to privatise the holby city and eastenders sets to make money, i found this on the local website paper here and this was direct from a bbc spokeman, i find it and post it on here soon.

slater girl
28-08-2007, 17:16
This is originally from the local borehamwood & elstree times local newspaper website

BBC to sell Elstree assets
By Emma Hutchings

THE BBC is to sell off some of its assets at BBC Elstree in Clarendon Road, Borehamwood.

The announcement has been condemned by union Bectu, which fears its 70 workers there will suffer in terms of pay and conditions.

The land and studio buildings will be retained by the BBC, but the company which rents studio space out to programmes such as EastEnders and Holby City, BBC Resources, will be privatised.

advertisementBBC Resources, which has a revenue of £125 million, provides broadcast production facilities and services from bases nationwide.

Helen Ryan, of Bectu's BBC division, said: "Following months of negotiations and the threat of industrial action earlier in the year over the planned sale, the BBC has agreed to give certain guarantees to staff."

However, she said she is worried about the future of the final salary pension scheme and has not ruled out future strikes on the matter.

The sale came as a result of a review of all the corporation's commercial businesses.

John Smith, chief executive of BBC Worldwide and BBC Board Sponsor for the sale, said: "We are committed to getting the best value for the BBC and licence fee payers, while putting staff interests at the heart of the process."

this was originally in the local newspaper on Thursday 16th August 2007

Richie_lecturer
28-08-2007, 22:25
they plan to privatise the holby city...

That's another NHS hospital that bites the dust. :p