PDA

View Full Version : The classification of Cannabis to be changed

di marco
18-07-2007, 20:09
i heard on the radio today that the government is thinking of changing cannabis from a class C drug back to a class B drug. im guessing its to try and stop as many people from using it. do you think its a good idea, or do you think it should remain a class C drug? and even if its changed back, do you think it will have the desired affect the government want?

Abigail
18-07-2007, 21:45
People that are using cannabis now aren't going to stop using just because its been upgraded. And people who are considering using it aren't likely to do the same.
I do think that it should be upgraded though, I'm not quite sure why but its time we took a tougher stance on drugs.

Chloe O'brien
19-07-2007, 00:23
Some people believe that canibas is a harmless drug but all the drug users in the country had to start somewhere they didn't just wake up one morning and decided to start using heroin or cocaine. changing the classification of cannibas is only the tip of the iceberg. The police and the government should be doing more to catch the Mr Big's in the drug world.

Siobhan
19-07-2007, 09:21
I am totally against drugs of any kind but Cannabis is used for medical purposes too and upgrading to Class B will have the police arresting not just the drug dealer/users but those people who smoke it to ease pain. My dad (before his hip operation) was in masses of pain and if he smoked I would have gotten this for him to help him relax and get some sleep.

Yes everyone has to start somewhere but not all people who smoke Cannabis leads on to rougher drugs. Cannabis (In my own personal opinion) is better than alcohol. You never see an agressives stoner.
(Just in case you ask, no I dont' smoke it and never have but I know a lot of people who do and they are not hard junkies and it is only on occasions)

Meh
19-07-2007, 09:27
When they downgraded cannabis it was under the assumption that it was mostly harmless. Since then they've discovered links to mental health which is one of the primary reasons for upgrading.
Cannabis should be available on prescription for medicinal purposes as should heroin (highly regulated obviously).

Siobhan
19-07-2007, 09:33
Totally agree.. medically it should be allowed so that those suffering don't have to be made to feel like criminals or druggies (for want of a better word) just so they can ease the suffering they are in

Katy
20-07-2007, 10:09
yeah i agree to it should be for those on the street but for medical purposes i think it should remain class c.

My home town was in the news for being famous for the cannabis cafe.

Chloe O'brien
21-07-2007, 01:09
I totally agree that canabis should be available for those who have a serious or terminal illnesses on the NHS to help them ease the pain. but can I also say that I am against drug taking and I have never taken any drugs or smoked canabis. In the housing estate I was born and brought up in there was a high volume of drug taking and drug addicts living in the area. A number of friends who I went to school with are now registered drug addicts and have been for over 20 years and there is a few users who use it as a recroational drug. But I also see a lot of users during the week hanging around outside the chemist waiting for her daily dose of methadone or other drugs when I get of the bus to go to work. It breaks my heart as most of these junkies who I hanged around with when I was a teenager and they are now druggies and it all began with the downward spiral by smoking hash. I have yet to meet a drug addict who didn't start out using canibas.

If I have offened or upset anyone I apologise but yes I know people who smoke hash or canibas just for fune and that is all and I agree many can be harmless but if they are a drug addict they are one regardless of which drug they take and in 10 or 20 years time we are going to be in the same senireo. You may have a child of primary school age at the moment but what you gonna admit in 10 years time that they only take canibas for a laugh. This is not going to go away and we as a nation have to act now.

Kim
21-07-2007, 01:30
I think they should put it back up, and just prescribe it for those that require it for medicional purposes. I don't think people take a class C classification seriously enough, and teaching the younger generation about cannabis isn't going to solve peer pressure to take the drug, or anything.