PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Jones to leave 'Coronation Street'

Chloe O'brien
30-05-2007, 19:39
Coronation Street actor Bruce Jones will not return to the Street when his contract expires in September.

Following meetings between the 54-year-old actor and show executives today, it was announced that Jones - who has played the role of layabout Les Battersby for 10 years - will not be seen on the Cobbles again and a decision is yet to be made about how the character is to be written out.

Initial plans suggest that his 'departure' from the ITV soap could be linked to the exit of his on-screen wife, Cilla, when actress Wendi Peters leaves in September.

Producer Steve Frost said: "Bruce’s portrayal of Les Battersby meant that Les quickly became a classic Coronation Street character who will be remembered for many years to come.

"However, after ten great years we feel we have reached the end of the road with storylines for Les. We wish Bruce all the best for the future.”

Of the decision, Jones said: “I have had a fantastic time at Coronation Street but the time has come to move on and try my hand at other things. I have already had some very exciting offers and am looking forward to what the future holds."

alan45
30-05-2007, 20:35
[I]
Producer Steve Frost said: "Bruce’s portrayal of Les Battersby meant that Les quickly became a classic Coronation Street character who will be remembered for many years to come.

"However, after ten great years we feel we have reached the end of the road with storylines for Les. We wish Bruce all the best for the future.”

Of the decision, Jones said: “I have had a fantastic time at Coronation Street but the time has come to move on and try my hand at other things. I have already had some very exciting offers and am looking forward to what the future holds."

Nothing to do with his off-screen drunken outbursts then.:rolleyes:

I have to say I liked his character

CrazyLea
30-05-2007, 20:45
Yeah I quite liked his character too, particularly with Cilla. But she's leaving soon aswell isn't she?

Put that in tags incase people don't read all the spoilers.

Katy
31-05-2007, 09:56
It'll be a shame when Les goes, hes been a classic part of Corrie for Ten years. I used to see Bruce all the time near where i live in the pubs, but hes barred from them all now. He has to go further afield.

tammyy2j
31-05-2007, 12:58
I will miss Les. It was a big part of Corrie for a long time.:crying: :crying:

What will happen Chesney with Cilla and Les both leaving? Will ghe stay with Fiz?

Anyone hear anything about Janice's daughter Toyah returning i read that Jane Danson (Leanne) said in an interview she would like Toyah to return and keeps hasseling the actress who plays her as they are good friends.

Chris_2k11
31-05-2007, 17:43
God has it really been ten years. Anyway can't say i'll miss Les, his character's being going downhill ever since he got together with that awful panto Cilla. Les and Janice should NEVER have been split up :nono: :nono: I can't stress how much better these two were together.

Richie_lecturer
31-05-2007, 23:11
I remember one of his first storylines was threatening to beat up Percy Sugden IIRC.

Chloe O'brien
02-06-2007, 00:47
When Bruce first appeared on Corrie, the battersbys were so different to what we were used to seeing on the street as they were common and loud, but they were entertaining. However since the past revelations over the last few months about his drunken outburst it has been hard to separate the real attidude from the character Les. I hope this is just a hic up in his career and Bruce is back in work soon.