PDA

View Full Version : hypnosis therapy does it work??

anna42hmr
05-05-2007, 18:37
has any one on here, or does any one know someone who has had any experience with using hypnosis to treat something?? i have a very bad fear of hights and confined spaces, however it is something i want to try to over come, and have noticed that hypnosis can allegedly treat phobias, but i am a bit dubious over wether it would work, or if i will be throwing money down the drain

samantha nixon
05-05-2007, 19:30
Ive never had it done or anything so dont know if it works, but could it not be phycological as if you feel that someone has done something to make you not scared of height your mind will think your not, but on tv programmes were they try and cure someones fears it always seems to work

Abigail
05-05-2007, 20:00
My dad had hypnosis to stop smoking. It worked for a few months then he started again. My aunty (dad's sister) had hypnosis for the same reason and she's never smoked since.

If you're going to go ahead with it, make sure you find a qualified therapist. I'm sure there'll be a council or some regulatory body for hypnotherapy.

anna42hmr
05-05-2007, 20:15
thanks for the replies, there is a company not far from where i live which do it, i am going to look into it a bit further, thanks

alan45
05-05-2007, 20:28
I had it to lose weight and it worked for about 3 months. It was with a commercial hypntist. The second time I had it was through NHS following a severe nevous breakdown. It worked very well for me then too

Abigail
05-05-2007, 20:41
I had it to lose weight and it worked for about 3 months.

Did you put the weight back on after the 3 months? (sorry, personal question but I was just wondering from the way you phrased it)

Chloe O'brien
06-05-2007, 00:23
Have you tried Paul McKenna's tapes to help you over come your phobia. he did a special on GMTV a few months back helping people overcome their fears. You could try their web page for help.

Jojo
06-05-2007, 08:22
I used hypnosis to stop me smoking combined with counselling. It was a total of a 2hr session - first hour about smoking and then the second was the actual hypnosis. That was 3 years ago and I haven't touched a cigarette since walking out of the clinic.

My mum has also had hypnosis to help with her fear of water and spiders. She now catches spiders with no problems, instead of freezing in fear or running round screaming. A few weeks after her hypnosis, she went to Florida and went swimming in the ocean with the manatees, so I'd say it worked for her too.

Best option is to look around, look for recommendations from others in your area and make sure they are qualified and accredited.

Pinkbanana
06-05-2007, 09:23
My mum has also had hypnosis to help with her fear of water and spiders. She now catches spiders with no problems, instead of freezing in fear or running round screaming.

I might give it a bash then.:) Anything to overcome the fear of our eight legged friends....:( Though I'd settle for the not running around the room screaming anymore bit, rather than the catching them bit. I have a special insect catcher (like a small hoover in pink) thing for that! :lol:

senorita
06-05-2007, 10:27
I would have it for my phobia of spiders. My heart rate increases looking at them in a book, never mind when they come into my sitting room! I cant catch them even with a long armmed catcher thingy:rotfl:

My friend gave me some to combat exam stress, and I was very dubious at first, but when I expereinced a mental block I did the exercise he gave me, I did get a flow of info come back to me.

Some places offer people a chance to go talk to them beforehand, so that might be worth it, just so you get a sense of who you are trusting in putting you in a hypnotised state.

alan45
06-05-2007, 10:44
I had it to lose weight and it worked for about 3 months.

Did you put the weight back on after the 3 months? (sorry, personal question but I was just wondering from the way you phrased it)Unfortunately so. However since I have started taking regular excersise and eating senisbly (following a serious illness) I have lost weight again albeit slowly but at least its staying off.

The hynosis for depression and stress really worked well and I can still use the techniques I was taught

Jojo
06-05-2007, 20:26
Some places offer people a chance to go talk to them beforehand, so that might be worth it, just so you get a sense of who you are trusting in putting you in a hypnotised state.

Thats one of the things we did, although it was technically classed as counselling as such. Gave me a chance to make sure I was happy with who was doing the hypnotism etc.

di marco
08-05-2007, 20:50
one of my mums friends is currently having some hypnosis thing done for flying, dont know if its going to work though or not

Abigail
09-05-2007, 14:24
My dad had hypnosis to stop smoking. It worked for a few months then he started again. My aunty (dad's sister) had hypnosis for the same reason and she's never smoked since.

I forgot to mention that they both used the same hypnotist. I don't think it worked for my dad because he didn't want to give up smoking, people were pushing him into it, so he didn't have the willpower or desire to stop. It might be fair to say that for it to work properly you have to really want to let go of your fears (which I'm sure you do from your post).