PDA

View Full Version : Gunman kills 31 at US university

Luna
16-04-2007, 22:02
A gunman has gone on the rampage at the campus of Virginia Tech university in Virginia, US, killing at least 31 people and injuring another 10.
Police say there were two separate shooting incidents - at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a student dormitory, and Norris Hall, an engineering building.

Police say they believe there was one gunman and that he is dead.

After the deadliest shooting at a US school, President George W Bush said the US was "shocked and saddened".

"Schools should be places of safety and sanctuary and learning. When that sanctuary is violated, the impact is felt in every American classroom and every American community," he added.

The state university in the town of Blacksburg is home to 26,000 students.

The shooter shot the door twice at chest level, which resulted in two holes in the door, one of which hit the podium in the front of the classroom

Virginia Tech police chief Wendell Flinchum said that emergency services had received a call at 0715 (1215 GMT) alerting them to a multiple shooting at West Ambler Johnston Hall.

He said that two hours later there was a second report of shooting, this time at Norris Hall.

Eyewitnesses locked down inside the university buildings have been using the internet to try to glean information about what is happening and many have emailed the BBC News website.

Nikolas Macko was in a mathematics class in Norris Hall when they heard a series of loud bangs in the hallway which prompted a female student sitting near the door to move to close it.

WORST US SCHOOLS SHOOTINGS

1 August 1966 - Sniper Charles Whitman kills 14 people and injures dozens at University of Texas
20 April 1999 - Two teenagers at Columbine High School, Colorado, kill 13 before killing themselves
21 March 2005 - A teenager on an Indian reservation in Red Lake, Minnesota, kills nine

"She peeked out into the hallway, and saw the shooter, so she immediately closed the door. Three other students moved a table that was in front of the room - it seats approximately 40 students at capacity - and barricaded it against the door.

"A few seconds later, the shooter tried to open the door, but my classmates kept it well shut, as they held the table against it from floor level.

"The shooter shot the door twice at chest level, which resulted in two holes in the door, one of which hit the podium in the front of the class room and the other continued out the window. At this point he reloaded, shot the door again - this shot did not penetrate - and moved on to the other classrooms," Mr Macko added.

A fleet of ambulances has ferried the injured to nearby hospitals. However, rescue efforts were reportedly hampered by high winds which meant that medical helicopters could not be used.

President 'horrified'

"Some of the victims were shot in a classroom," Mr Flinchum said.

He said that police believed there had been just one shooter involved and that he was now dead at Norris Hall.

They are now investigating whether he was shot by security forces or killed himself.

Mr Flinchum said it was unclear if the assailant was a student, but a number of the victims were.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," Virginia Tech President Charles Steger said, adding that the university was in the process of informing the next of kin of those killed.

In 1966, the day after killing his wife and mother, gunman Charles Whitman opened fire from a tower on the campus of the University of Texas killing 14 people and injuring 31 others.

In 1999 two teenagers at Columbine High School in Colorado killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before taking their own lives.

CrazyLea
16-04-2007, 22:14
31? Wow. It's completely disgusting. Why would someone do something like that? I can't even begin to imagine how everyone - particularly the people who saw it, and the families of those who died - are feeling.

Pinkbanana
16-04-2007, 22:24
It is totally shocking and I sincerely hope it leads to a debate/rethink pertaining to the current gun laws in the ol' USA, ie at present, its constitutional every citizen's right to bear arms...

I know even the tightest of gun laws wont stop a person acquiring a firearm, if they are determined to get one, but it may stop some...and that could make the difference in preventing another horrific mindless slaughter of the innocent like in this case.

Bad Wolf
16-04-2007, 22:31
itv news just said it was 33 dead...............................

DaVeyWaVey
16-04-2007, 22:33
This is just awful! Absolutely awful! I dread to think how the students who witnessed and went through what happened are now feeling, i bet they're absolutely traumatised! And i can't imagine how the victim's friends and families are feeling!

I hope the US do reconsider their gun laws! They have to change them now before more people get hurt and killed! This kind of news just upsets me, how could anyone carry out these awful shootings?!

Abi
16-04-2007, 23:16
This has really saddened me. Just the prospect of something like that happening sends shivers up your spine, but to have to barricade a door to stop yourself getting killed... Its disguisting that things like this can still happen, even in countries like America, which are developed.

thestud2k7
17-04-2007, 00:09
Awful news, you would think a country like american would have tighter gun laws

Chloe O'brien
17-04-2007, 12:49
The only way there to stop tragedies like this happening in the future is for their to be a complete ban on people being allowed to own guns unless they're police or armed forces. Otherwise there are going to be more familys ripped apart.

Luna
17-04-2007, 13:20
The only way there to stop tragedies like this happening in the future is for their to be a complete ban on people being allowed to own guns unless they're police or armed forces. Otherwise there are going to be more familys ripped apart.

i was going to suggesest this too but then they would find something else to be able to carry things like this out. What we need is ways to detect when a person is likly to do something like this

Katy
17-04-2007, 14:59
It's one of the major things that the US have not cracked down on. Its awful to think about all the families of the students and what they must be going through.

Jojo
17-04-2007, 15:23
Just to throw this into the equation, but the gunman was apparently a student...is anyone else wondering what actually drove him to do something as drastic and tragic as this?

Siobhan
17-04-2007, 15:33
Just to throw this into the equation, but the gunman was apparently a student...is anyone else wondering what actually drove him to do something as drastic and tragic as this?

apparantely on the news last night they said he was looking for his girlfriend.. unless they had a row/breakup or she cheated on him, whatelse could have sent him over the edge???

Jojo
17-04-2007, 15:40
Police have named a student who shot dead at least 30 people at a US university as Cho Seung-hui, a 23-year-old from South Korea.

He was studying English and had been living on the university campus. He killed himself after the rampage.

Police said a gun found at the scene was also used at an earlier shooting in which two people were killed.

It was the worst school attack in US history. A memorial service is to be held at the university on Tuesday.

I just don't know though Shiv - I mean, people break up all the time, etc. But something obviously sent this young man over the edge to do such a tragic thing. I don't condone anything that has happened here - its an awful and tragic loss, but to be a student at that university for so long and then to just take a weapon with you in there and do this?! Something must have triggered it and I just wonder what that could have been...

Siobhan
17-04-2007, 15:51
I don't anyone will know what drove him over the edge or any other person who has done this sort of thing before him..

Luna
17-04-2007, 16:06
They said that he went looking to kill his ex girlfriend and her new boyfriend apparently these two where the first to be killed.

Siobhan
17-04-2007, 16:35
They said that he went looking to kill his ex girlfriend and her new boyfriend apparently these two where the first to be killed.

but as Em said.. we have all been dumped at some stage in our live but not all of us go postal... so something else must have pushed him over the edge.. and why kill the rest if he killed them first??

alkalinetrio
20-04-2007, 18:42
yeah but some people aint right in the head might have been mentaly ill or something

Chloe O'brien
20-04-2007, 21:39
There will be plenty of theories given over the coming days and weeks on what drove this young man to comit such a horrific and tragic crime. Whatever it was he must have had some serious pyscological problems to even think about planning something so unimaginable. Let's hope that new guidelines are implemented to identify and deal with students with worrying behaviour problems before another tragedy happens

DaVeyWaVey
20-04-2007, 21:44
It's been said on the news that many people were concerned about his state of mind a while before he carried out the shootings as he was writing very disturbing stuff, and the news reported that there could have been a movie about guns that he watched that might have inspired him to commit the shootings.