PDA

View Full Version : Life on Mars sequel jumps to the 80's

Jojo
11-04-2007, 10:22
A sequel to TV drama Life on Mars is to be made with the action moving to the 1980s, it has been confirmed.

The announcement was made as the second and final series of Life on Mars - in which a modern police officer was trapped in 1973 - came to an end.

The sequel, Ashes to Ashes, will see Philip Glenister return as DCI Gene Hunt - but this time in London in 1981.

He will be joined by a female detective from the 21st Century who is stuck in the past after an accident.

She will replace Life on Mars star John Simm, who was at the centre of the original mystery after apparently being catapulted back in time following a car crash in 2006.

Viewers of Tuesday's finale finally saw the answer to his continual question: "Am I mad, in a coma or back in time?"

'Sexy sidekick'

The new character will be a modern woman who has risen through the ranks of the Metropolitan Police by using psychological profiling to capture suspects, producers said.

But when she and her daughter are kidnapped, she is injured in a rescue attempt - and finds herself in 1981.

Jane Featherstone, executive producer for TV production company Kudos, said the search was on for DCI Hunt's new "sexy sidekick".

"It's a touch of Moonlighting teamed with a measure of Miami Vice," she said.

Filming is due to begin this summer and the show will be broadcast on BBC One next year.

tammyy2j
11-04-2007, 11:00
I love the series Life on Mars and am disappointed its over. Hunt is a great character.

I think the actress who played Tanya in FW would be a good choice as Hunt sidekick

Katy
11-04-2007, 12:00
At least its not over all together, this looks as good as the last one. It will be interesting to see a woman back in time rather than Sam.

pookie1968uk
11-04-2007, 16:24
yes this looks promising. glad there is some more life on mars to look forward to!

Johnny Allen
15-04-2007, 10:08
Im still unconvinced how this will work seeing as the whole premise for Life on Mars was not knowing what had happened to Sam. But hey Philip Glenister's performance as Gene Hunt will make the show must-see tv. As for who could play the part of the female detective..... please BBC get Sarah Parish.

JustJodi
15-04-2007, 10:27
I am with you "johnny allen" I am not sure how the program is going to work, but I do like the GENE HUNT character !!! :) Any way roll on to next year and we will finally see ..:hmm:

Bad Wolf
15-04-2007, 15:49
please BBC get Sarah Parish.

this is a brilliant idea!

sarah parish would be fantastic for the role

tammyy2j
16-04-2007, 11:23
Thandie Newton has been tipped to star in Ashes To Ashes - the sequel series to Life on Mars.

The role of DCI Gene Hunt's new sidekick, DI Alex Drake, is said to be coveted by many actresses following the success of the original show.

According to the Daily Mail, producers have shortlisted Thandie Newton, of ER, New Street Law's Lisa Faulkner and Liz May Brice, from Bad Girls. The paper added that Newton is tipped to win the role.

"I don't think there's an agent in the country that hasn't been pushing their clients," explained a BBC source. "Life On Mars was such a success that everyone wants to be involved."

Filming on the new series, which shifts to London in the 1980s, is due to start in July.

Katy
16-04-2007, 16:42
out of all those suggestions i think Lisa faulkner would be good. I really like her. I think you ever it is will do a good job.

Bryan
16-04-2007, 17:05
of course the rumour mill will be going into overdrive with actresses names, but out of them three Liz May Brice would be great, she can play a though no noscnece character well, and would create a good on screen partnership with Phil Glenister's character.

tammyy2j
17-04-2007, 15:53
of course the rumour mill will be going into overdrive with actresses names, but out of them three Liz May Brice would be great, she can play a though no noscnece character well, and would create a good on screen partnership with Phil Glenister's character.

Yes i agree i think she would be the better choice than Thandie or Lisa as both look very young. She was great as Pat Kerrigan in Bad Girls.

Debra Stephenson from Corrie and Bad Girls and also Simone Lahbib from Bad Girls and Sarah Parish and Sarah Lancashire have also been rumoured to be in running. I'd like to see Zoe Lucker in the role.

Bryan
17-04-2007, 16:44

Yes i agree i think she would be the better choice than Thandie or Lisa as both look very young. She was great as Pat Kerrigan in Bad Girls.

Debra Stephenson from Corrie and Bad Girls and also Simone Lahbib from Bad Girls and Sarah Parish and Sarah Lancashire have also been rumoured to be in running. I'd like to see Zoe Lucker in the role.

Some great actresses being rumoured.

Zoe would have been good, but she's soon to appear in the bbc's Holby Blue, so doubt she wants to be cast as a policewoman in two dramas...

tammyy2j
19-04-2007, 10:26
Maxine Peake and Gillian Kearney both from Shameless are also being considered for the role.

I think Maxine is a good choice. I loved her as Veronica in Shameless and she has played a copper before also.

Chloe O'brien
19-04-2007, 11:06
I would prefer Debra Stevenson in the role instead of some of the other names that have been mentioned. Whoever does get the role needs to be a tough cookie to stand up to Gene Hunt.

Jojo
19-04-2007, 15:24
I'd prefer an unknown to be honest - have some one new play the part. I find myself remembering previous roles (in the case of someone who has been part of one show for a long time) unfortunately, so would like to see some "new blood" come into it

Luna
01-06-2007, 21:34
Former 'Spooks' star Keeley Hawes is to star in 'Ashes To Ashes' , replacing John Simm as the lead character in the follow-up to 'Life On Mars'.

The 30-year-old wife of fellow 'Spooks' actor Matthew Macfadyen, and daughter of a London cabbie, will play a modern day woman police officer who wakes to find herself in the early eighties, working with 'Life On Mars' legendarily sexist DCI Gene Hunt, again to be played be Philip Glenister.

Jessie Wallace
01-06-2007, 21:36
That's good, i really like her as an actress

callummc
11-06-2007, 00:48
sounds interesting,its a shame sam cant appear at some time

inkyskin
11-06-2007, 07:59
Is gonna be weird though,as has been said before,the whole point of the show was not completely knowing what had happeneed to sam.

Will the 2nd one be as good ? ?:searchme:

Deserves a try at least.

callummc
12-06-2007, 01:27
we can only give it a try,as long as gene keeps his dry humour it should be good