PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance - Help!

Behemoth
31-03-2007, 13:38
Need some advice on car insurance!

I've just bought a second-hand car but to insure myself on it costs £2000 a year.

Is it illegal to instead make my mum the legal owner and policy holder and me just a named driver, even though I will be driving it a lot more than her as she already has her own car?

The reason I'm asking is to do it that way only costs £485. Much cheaper!

alan45
31-03-2007, 13:50
Need some advice on car insurance!

I've just bought a second-hand car but to insure myself on it costs £2000 a year.

Is it illegal to instead make my mum the legal owner and policy holder and me just a named driver, even though I will be driving it a lot more than her as she already has her own car?

The reason I'm asking is to do it that way only costs £485. Much cheaper!
Its a legal grey area. You would certainly be insured to drive it and in the event of any claim it would be very difficult for the insurance company to prove you were the Main Driver. Its sometimes cheaper to add a second vehicle on to an existing policy i.e. If your father has insurance for his car then most companies offer discounts fror second cars (Tesco Direct and Direct Line spring to mind. Another thing to consider is the future. If you get insured as a named driver on your Mum's ploicy make sure that they will let you count those years towards your no claims bonus when you eventually do get around to taking out your own insurance.

Another way of cutting the cost of premiums is to agree to pay a bigger excess (i.e. the first 500 quid of any claim) this can have a significant cut in the premium.

Welcome to the joys of motoring. You will soon discover that owning a car is a bit like owning a moneybox with no bottom to it.

Alan:)

Luna
31-03-2007, 14:26
I have to do the same rob.

My step dad is down as the main driver on my car. If i didnt i would be paying the same as you and thats just because im not over 25 and ive only been driving for 3 years.

Im sure its not illegal

Footie_Chick
31-03-2007, 14:31
That seems a hell of a lot of money to insure a car mine was only £1160 for a brand new corsa, fully comp.
Have u done alot of searching around to price different companies.

Behemoth
31-03-2007, 14:35
That seems a hell of a lot of money to insure a car mine was only £1160 for a brand new corsa, fully comp.
Have u done alot of searching around to price different companies.

I've done it on confused.com; great website!

Its a legal grey area. You would certainly be insured to drive it and in the event of any claim it would be very difficult for the insurance company to prove you were the Main Driver. Its sometimes cheaper to add a second vehicle on to an existing policy i.e. If your father has insurance for his car then most companies offer discounts fror second cars (Tesco Direct and Direct Line spring to mind. Another thing to consider is the future. If you get insured as a named driver on your Mum's ploicy make sure that they will let you count those years towards your no claims bonus when you eventually do get around to taking out your own insurance.

Another way of cutting the cost of premiums is to agree to pay a bigger excess (i.e. the first 500 quid of any claim) this can have a significant cut in the premium.

Welcome to the joys of motoring. You will soon discover that owning a car is a bit like owning a moneybox with no bottom to it.

Alan:)

Thanks Alan, that's a great help. Insurance is so expensive, it's great to be able to jump through a few loopholes :D

Footie_Chick
31-03-2007, 14:49
Ok, i just went around on different websites that i knew did car insurance ended up going with Tesco as they came out slightly cheaper.

Meh
31-03-2007, 15:37
Try www.ecarinsurance.co.uk

As Alan said, it'd be very hard for an insurance company to prove who the main driver is. What car is it?

Behemoth
31-03-2007, 15:49
Try www.ecarinsurance.co.uk

As Alan said, it'd be very hard for an insurance company to prove who the main driver is. What car is it?

Thanks, I'll have a look. It's a Volkswagen Polo 1.2

Jojo
31-03-2007, 19:16
Congrats on buying your first car - and welcome to the "wonderful" world of insurance!

Have a scout around at other insurers aswell as looking at confused.com as although a great site, I've found that sometimes you get extra discount going directly to them.

At least you aren't going to have the car tax problem that I'm going to have soon - my car is classed as a "gas guzzler" even though we do 40mpg in it so this year my tax was £195 and following the "wonderful" budget, over the next 2 years thats going to increase to £400!! I'd love to see me trying to fit my brood in a 1.0 Micra and still manage to travel at over 20mph :rolleyes:

It is worth trying to get insurance in your own name though if you can though Rob, otherwise, when you eventually do get your own, as previously said, you will still have no no claims bonus, so you will still end up paying more.

pinkles14
31-03-2007, 19:50
That seems a lot to pay for a Volkswagen Polo 1.2 It does go on your age aswell.. my sisters first car was a 1.4 tigra that was 1,200 on insurance..

Luna
31-03-2007, 20:50
thats the car ive got rob - as i said my step dad is the main driver on it and i only pay £25 per month in insurance

Behemoth
31-03-2007, 21:21
It is worth trying to get insurance in your own name though if you can though Rob, otherwise, when you eventually do get your own, as previously said, you will still have no no claims bonus, so you will still end up paying more.

I can't really afford it at the moment because I have to pay my dad back for the car - £500 a month! I might swap it over to my name once I've finished paying for it.

Thanks for the help everyone!

alan45
31-03-2007, 21:21
At least you aren't going to have the car tax problem that I'm going to have soon - my car is classed as a "gas guzzler" even though we do 40mpg in it so this year my tax was £195 and following the "wonderful" budget, over the next 2 years thats going to increase to £400!! .
You should be ashamed its selfish people like you that contribute to global warming, ruining the ozone layer, diverting the gulf stream, ruining the amazonian rain forests and the new ice age.

Selfish capatalists like you should take A leaf out of or deputy PMs book and split your oversized family into three economical Jaguars. OH yes you better buy a fourth in case you need to go to Tesco in the rain and dont want to ruin your hair:D

Jojo
01-04-2007, 12:35
At least you aren't going to have the car tax problem that I'm going to have soon - my car is classed as a "gas guzzler" even though we do 40mpg in it so this year my tax was £195 and following the "wonderful" budget, over the next 2 years thats going to increase to £400!! .
You should be ashamed its selfish people like you that contribute to global warming, ruining the ozone layer, diverting the gulf stream, ruining the amazonian rain forests and the new ice age.

Selfish capatalists like you should take A leaf out of or deputy PMs book and split your oversized family into three economical Jaguars. OH yes you better buy a fourth in case you need to go to Tesco in the rain and dont want to ruin your hair:D

:rotfl: :rotfl: :o :o

Oh the shame....!!! Maybe I should also get a Bently on the side too to cruise a 1 mile journey to the corner shop aswell.... Can you imagine me trying to fit 4 kids, 6ft 2 hubby and myself into a 1.0 Micra though! Cracks me up!!

The other part that annoys me is hubbys van (Renault Master 2.2dci) cost LESS to tax than my car!!! WTF is that all about! Same year of manufacture (2005) same engine size, yet somehow, the van costs less to tax - now that really doesn't make sense!!!!

willow
01-04-2007, 13:19
[quote=JoJo;507777]At least you aren't going to have the car tax problem that I'm going to have soon - my car is classed as a "gas guzzler" even though we do 40mpg in it so this year my tax was £195 and following the "wonderful" budget, over the next 2 years thats going to increase to £400!! .

:rotfl: :rotfl: :o :o

Oh the shame....!!! Maybe I should also get a Bently on the side too to cruise a 1 mile journey to the corner shop aswell.... Can you imagine me trying to fit 4 kids, 6ft 2 hubby and myself into a 1.0 Micra though! Cracks me up!!

i have managed to fit 2 kids 6ft 1 hubby and a months shopping in my 1 ltr corsa!!! never again!!! it took me 15 mns to get home as it would only do 30!!! hubby is shopping now for a bigger car!!!!!

pinkles14
27-05-2007, 17:25
I no some one who went out drinking the next day he went out in his car
and crashed it in to a tree no one was hurt but his car is a right off. Someone called the police and he was charged with drink driving... He thought he was ok to drive and not over the limit
so my question is does any one no if he is allowed to claim on his car insurance and get his money back he was fully comp.

Behemoth
27-05-2007, 18:49
I'd have thought he would be able to claim but his premium will sky rocket and he'll have to pay the excess anyway.

pinkles14
27-05-2007, 21:52
I'd have thought he would be able to claim but his premium will sky rocket and he'll have to pay the excess anyway.

Thanks.. yeh he knows he will have to pay the excess of £150..
his car cost him £2,000 and £700 insurance so he just wanted to see if he could get any thing back....

pookie1968uk
28-05-2007, 22:24
when i was younger my mum went as main driver on my car and i went as a named driver, even though it was my car. when i was 26 i took it over in my name then. it is what most younger people have to do to get their cars insured and im sure the insurance companies know this.