PDA

View Full Version : Red Nose Day fundraising ideas

Abigail
10-03-2007, 22:40
Right, I'm the entertainments manager for the 6th form union and we found out yesterday that we have to do something for RND.
Ideally, we need to have decided by Tuesday so we can organise everything but we're really stuck for ideas.
It needs to be something that the whole 6th form will get involved in. Fancy dress days have never worked with the past unions so there's little point in doing that.
I was thinking about getting the teachers involved but not sure how.
I've checked the RND site but most of the ideas aren't very good/suitable for us. I won't be at the main site for the morning so I won't be able to oversee everything (the 6th form is a joint one between mine and a school a few miles away) so it needs to be something that will run smoothly with the lads in charge. No offence to the guys on here, but the lads in our union are content with playing pool all day and probably won't be capable of keeping everything in check.

We already have a few other fundraising projects going atm, the biggest one being a pool tournament to raise money for a pool table revamp. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to divert that money to comic relief, the lads would most likely murder me.

Has anybody got some really good ideas that have worked in the past and that are quick to organise?

Abi
10-03-2007, 23:00
How about a Chocolate Fountain sale? Quite a lot of people have Chocolate Fountains you could use. Just go down to Tescos and buy some cheap chocolate, melt it up and stick it in. Buy Marshmellows etc and make up some sticks of them, and sell them at £1 a stick. We did this at our school for fundraising, and did it at Valentines Day, and it was really popular. Go to big supermarkets, and buy they're offers, and you can get most of the stuff for about £30 :)

Jojo
10-03-2007, 23:08
How about a Chocolate Fountain sale? Quite a lot of people have Chocolate Fountains you could use. Just go down to Tescos and buy some cheap chocolate, melt it up and stick it in. Buy Marshmellows etc and make up some sticks of them, and sell them at £1 a stick. We did this at our school for fundraising, and did it at Valentines Day, and it was really popular. Go to big supermarkets, and buy they're offers, and you can get most of the stuff for about £30 :)

Can I be an adult in need, and buy myself a fountain etc, and do this for myself do you think?? :D :rotfl: Sounds blooming lush!!!

Great idea though!

I'm not very good with ideas of this kind though JB I'm afraid. I'll have a think..

CrazyLea
10-03-2007, 23:14
Lmfao Ems. I like your thinking :p

Erm, don't know if it would be successful where you are, but at College, we're doing like these huge red noses out of paper, then we're getting people as they go past to just shove their loose change on them. We're also going around with buckets. Like I say, don't know if it would work, but it works were we are, cause of the amount of people that go past and stuff.. and it doesn't cost anything to set up, so it's a win-win really.

Abigail
10-03-2007, 23:22

It's a fab idea but I don't want to be the one left cleaning up at the end of the day, which it will be. I always get lumbered with the cleaning. Plus I think the lads will just let the chocolate go for free and not charge anybody :thumbsdow

The bucket idea is a really good one actually. I'll have to see if I can get any red buckets and take them round the other school in the morning. I might even be able to con a few teachers out of a few quid in the staff room. A tin or something smaller might be better then nobody is likely to nick any money.

Keep the ideas coming, need to raise lots of dosh :thumbsup:

Abi
10-03-2007, 23:27
How about a paid event? Like a teachers v pupils football match, where you pay 50p to get in and watch, or something?

CrazyLea
10-03-2007, 23:33
You could do a car wash? But it might be too late to plan that now? Although, all you need is buckets of water and some soapy stuff of some kind haha :p Teachers, I find, are usually obliged to say yes if you ask to wash their car haha. Charge a pound or something.

Kim
10-03-2007, 23:37
My school has said that my year has to set up a minimum of 1 stall per form, so maybe you could get everyone to divide and do something like that. It should work particularly well if you're studying at a place where there are younger children, and some of the ideas that we have had are a guess the name of the teddy competition, but you don't give it a name; guess the amount of coins in a jar, but we're sticking them to the side of the jar so that it looks like there's more than there actually is, then we can give all of the money to comic relief rather than having to buy any prizes. We're all bringing in sweets/crisps and selling them for the day because of the new rule, so I don't think there would be a problem with that given that it's for a good cause. Also, some of the boys thought of penalty shootout with a girl in goal or hit the teacher, but my school wont allow wet sponges.

CrazyLea
10-03-2007, 23:49
guess the name of the teddy competition, but you don't give it a name; guess the amount of coins in a jar, but we're sticking them to the side of the jar so that it looks like there's more than there actually is, then we can give all of the money to comic relief rather than having to buy any prizes.
:nono: False advertisement :eek: Who's going to want to play a game where you don't win anything? As sad as that may sound. Usually with games like that, particularly the coin one, you give to the nearest person - sweets might be better for you lot lol. Cheap sweets, instead of giving away coins.. kind of defeats the object, with coins, anyway. And the teddy one, you just have to make sure you use up all the names.. not losing any money on that one, because you'll already have a teddy.

Jojo
10-03-2007, 23:52
Plus won't everyone be extremely hacked off when its discovered that no one won the competition. I don't think that you are actually allowed to do that. Isn't it against gaming rules etc??

DaVeyWaVey
10-03-2007, 23:56
Plus won't everyone be extremely hacked off when its discovered that no one won the competition. I don't think that you are actually allowed to do that. Isn't it against gaming rules etc??

Yeah that's what i thought too.

How about a fun run? Or sponge the teacher? Teachers are put in some stocks and you get to chuck sponges full of water at the teachers for like 50p a go or something?

Kim
10-03-2007, 23:59
My tutor seems to think it's ok lol. My idea with that was to go on one of those name meaning sites, use one that no-one's ever heard of, then it wont cost you anything. We thought we'd get more money out of it if we didn't say the teddy was the prize and have it as a voucher for a music/dvd/game shop.

Jojo
11-03-2007, 00:09
My tutor seems to think it's ok lol. My idea with that was to go on one of those name meaning sites, use one that no-one's ever heard of, then it wont cost you anything. We thought we'd get more money out of it if we didn't say the teddy was the prize and have it as a voucher for a music/dvd/game shop.

If you are running a competition to win a prize, there has to be a prize on offer. Why not have the name the bear, have 100 odd names already written on a board for people to choose from, 50p a go and then the bear and a £5 voucher is the prize. Thats like £50, so you'd have made £45 profit less the cost of the bear.

.:SpIcYsPy:.
11-03-2007, 11:16
Slave auction thing.. All the 6th formers in our school are doing it.. A few 6th formers voluntarily (sp?) auction themselves.. and then you sell them off for the highest price going to the rest of the the 6th formers and they have to do anything you want for the whole school day or to whatever time you wish it to be!! :D x

Abigail
11-03-2007, 13:11
Slave idea sounds goood... I could get somebody to do my biology work for the morning hehe.
Car wash sounds good as well plus it might get me out of business for the afternoon :)

Do you think it would be a good idea to have something running for a few days instead of just Friday? Like, do something on Wednesday and Thursday as well (if we have time to arrange it.) Everybody has a morning and an afternoon off each week so some people won't be in in the morning and some not in the afternoon, not to mention those who go to Howden on Friday so possibly a fair few people won't turn up.

samantha nixon
11-03-2007, 14:07
when our school were raising money for something cant remember what though we did a sponsored wax where our treachers got waxed i think there was 2 or 3 teachers who did it and students could pay for a wax thing and pick what teacher they wanted to do it on, and you also had to pay to watch it, that was quite good and a lot of people got involved with that but it obviously depends whether any of your teachers would want to do it
and at the minute they are doing a name the bear and dog to raise money for childrens cancer

Tori
11-03-2007, 15:37
at our college we're having two days, one day we're cross dressing and then on friday people are going around spraying peoples hair red and making them buy red noses etc. not quite sure how ours will go down, but in the past at school me and some people did fancy dress and went around with buckets

Katy
12-03-2007, 16:22
wearing pyjamas is always a good one and pay for he pleasure.

erm or an easy game a bit like guess the teddy name, how many sweets in the jar 50 P ago winner gets the sweets. Should raise more than it cost for the sweets.

Or anything that involves throwing anything and humiliating teachers is always a good one but the teachers have to be game for it. We did it where you threw sponges at the teachers and paid 50 p. Raised loads.

Kim
12-03-2007, 17:40
Another thing to bear in mind is what's been done before. We did a wax the teacher thing where the students pay 50p to pull off a strip, and it did really well the first time. Hardly anyone was interested the next time. Cake sales never gone down too well and everyone just ends up standing there yelling rather than selling any cakes. It wasn't great but it wasn't a disaster the first time.

Abbie
01-03-2009, 20:34
Thought I'd dig this thread up and ask, is anyone doing anything this year for it?