PDA

View Full Version : John Inman Dies

alan45
08-03-2007, 09:34
JOHN INMAN, star of TV sitcom Are You Being Served?, died in hospital early this morning.

The actor, 71, passed away in St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington, west London, at 4am after being ill for some time.

John's manager, Phil Dale said: “John, through his character Mr Humphries of Are You Being Served? was known and loved throughout the world.

“He was one of the best and finest pantomime dames working to capacity audiences throughout Britain.

“John was known for his comedy plays and farces which were enjoyed from London’s West End throughout the country and as far as Australia, Canada and the USA.”

Inman’s long-term partner, Ron Lynch, is said to be “devastated” at his death.

The actor suffered from hepatitis A and had been taken into hospital for tests after problems with his liver.

It was revealed that he had the disease after it forced him to cancel the opening of a pantomime in London on December 9, 2004.

Hepatitis A is an inflammation of the liver caused through eating contaminated food, which the star believed was how he came to have the virus.

It was initially hoped he would be able to return to the pantomime, in which he was due to play Wanda the Cook in Dick Whittington, before Christmas 2004, but he never worked again.

The virus is highly infectious and symptoms include fever, loss of energy and jaundice.

There is no treatment except bed rest and the debilitating symptoms can often take several months to clear, but it is deemed less serious than the hepatitis B and hepatitis C viruses.

Mr Dale said at the time that it was “not a serious illness” and that Inman was expected to be “fine”.

The television actor’s health problems in 2004 were the second scare in three years, after he spent three days in intensive care in 2001.

Then 65, he was admitted with breathing difficulties to St Mary’s, the same hospital where he was later to die.

After three days in intensive care, he was given the all-clear and moved to a general ward.

Inman played camp salesman Mr Humphries in the comedy series Are You Being Served? for a decade from the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s.

He starred alongside Wendy Richard, who went on to play Pauline Fowler in EastEnders, as well as Molly Sugden, Frank Thornton and Trevor Bannister.

The actor had been with Mr Lynch for 35 years. The celebrated a civil partnership ceremony at London’s Westminster Register Office on December 23, 2005.

willow
08-03-2007, 09:55
how really sad,
Rest In Peace John

Siobhan
08-03-2007, 10:09
wow.. did not know this.. RIP John

Jojo
08-03-2007, 10:43
OMG - this is such sad news! I had no idea he had Hep A. His partner and family must be devastated! He'll be sadly missed.

alan45
08-03-2007, 11:03
OMG - this is such sad news! I had no idea he had Hep A. His partner and family must be devastated! He'll be sadly missed.
Im sure a certain ex member here will be genuinely devastated

Chloe O'brien
08-03-2007, 12:38
Poor John he will be sadly missed in the entertainment business. I'm sure all his fellow actors who have worked with him over the years will be devasted at his unexpected death.

Bryan
08-03-2007, 16:40
what sad news, yet another talented actor dies. Loved him in Are You Being Served, what a sad loss.

R.I.P John

CrazyLea
08-03-2007, 17:07
Very sad :(
Also loved him in Are You Being Served.
RIP.

.:SpIcYsPy:.
08-03-2007, 17:27
Such sad news...... Rest In Peace :( xx

Richie_lecturer
08-03-2007, 19:41
Very sad and unexpected news indeed.

He had been ill for a while though so at least the pain has finally cleared. As Mr Humphries would say, "I'm free", and John most certainly is now.

RIP.

Kim
08-03-2007, 21:54
I've only just realised that he is off of are you being served. I used to watch it before EastEnders on UK Gold. I thought he was a very talented actor. Such a sad loss. RIP.

Richie_lecturer
08-03-2007, 22:51
I've only just realised that he is off of are you being served. I used to watch it before EastEnders on UK Gold.

I used to watch Are You Being Served on BBC1 in its final days, just before EastEnders even began!

pookie1968uk
09-03-2007, 14:05
it is sad he has died. i used to find are you being served so funny before the PC brigade changed the way programmes are.

Katy
09-03-2007, 14:27
Its very sad news.

Thought with his family at this time.

R I P John.

brooksyrules
10-03-2007, 12:11
he was a really good actor him and trevor bannister were a good double act

R.I.P