PDA

View Full Version : Primeval

Abbie
25-02-2007, 16:13
Its on a Saturday night ITV1 7:45, It started on Feb 10th so we have seen 3 episodes by now.

Mega-beasts from the primordial past invade modern-day Britain in this new drama blockbuster from the makers of The Lost World and Walking With Dinosaurs.

Professor Nick Cutter (Douglas Henshall) is an evolutionary zoologist with expert knowledge of creatures that ought to be long extinct. When one of his nerdy students, Connor Temple (Andrew-Lee Potts), tells him that there may be something beastly lurking in the Forest of Dean, he takes lab technician Stephen Hart (James Murray) to explore.

On the way they bump into government investigator Claudia Brown (Lucy Brown) and local animal handler Abby Maitland (S Club 7's Hannah Spearritt), who has just made a startling discovery of her own - a tiny flying reptile that she could swear looks more like a dinosaur than a lizard.

The team's suspicions are dramatically confirmed when they stumble across a series of much bigger critters from the Permian Era (250 million BC) amongst the trees, and not all of them are vegetarian, or friendly. Hunting down the source of the dinosaur invasion, they come across a shimmering pool of light in the heart of the forest. It's an anomaly - a rip in the fabric of time which is acting as an open door into prehistory.

But if dinosaurs can arrive in our world, can we go to theirs? There's only one way to find out and Professor Cutter - whose own wife disappeared in the forest eight years ago, under mysterious circumstances - is determined to make the trip...
I was just wondering if anyone watches it and then this can be like a general dicussion for it. I watch it and I quite like it, Im really getting into it now.
(Ive missed the r after the P in the thread title can someone add it in)

Abi
25-02-2007, 17:00
I've been watching it. I dont think much of it, really. ITV even admitted that its meant to be "in competition" of Doctor Who, and so many of the ideas in it are just ripped straight from it. Its more like Torchwood, i think, but you know, point remains. Its not original or anything.

The one thing i like about it, is that the story flows from episode to episode, and isn't just wrapped up in a 1 hour episode. Though even then, its a bit predictable. They'll find an anomaly, a prehistoric creature will come through, someone will get killed, they'll get rid of the creature, have some kind of link to the Cutter's wife, and they'll still not know anything about why its happening. Its a good idea, but in the 3 episodes, they've just followed that same layout each time, so its a bit boring now. Hopefully it'll pick up a bit, but i'm not holding out too much for it.

The actor who plays Cutter is good though. And Hannah Spearritt is a bit of a surprise as well (Getting an old popstar to play one of the main roles... Ring any bells with Billie Piper? :p )

But anyway, its a decent show, but very predictable at the minute.

Trinity
26-02-2007, 10:01
I watched it this week.

it was alright - nothing special, and my kids who adore Dr Who and Torchwood couldn't stand it..

Abbie
26-02-2007, 16:27
I do like it even though its is very simillar to Torchwood and Dr Who but Im going it a chance and see what happens

Cornishbabe
03-03-2007, 17:04
It will be interesting to see what happens when doctor who starts again in a few weeks and the two programs are on at the same time.

Abbie
03-03-2007, 17:07
It will be interesting to see what happens when doctor who starts again in a few weeks and the two programs are on at the same time.
Oh yeh, well to be honest I dont know how this show does with the ratings but my guess is they will go down once Doctor who makes it return

Cornishbabe
03-03-2007, 17:12
Just found out theres only 6 eppisodes in the first series. so they wont be in direct competeion.

I still dont know if i should watch primeval or casulty tonight

Abbie
03-03-2007, 17:23
I know Im shocked that they are only 6 but because of the shows content and similarity to doctor who and torchwood, thats why they have done it like that so they dont waste too much money

Cornishbabe
03-03-2007, 17:24
I know Im shocked that they are only 6 but because of the shows content and similarity to doctor who and torchwood, thats why they have done it like that so they dont waste too much money

Yeh they probably didnt want to spend a million a eppisode and then noone watch it

Abi
03-03-2007, 20:57
I thought tonights episode was much better than normal. But still not that great. But its definately getting better.

Does that mean that next week is the finale?

Cornishbabe
04-03-2007, 12:14
I think theres two eppisodes left not sure.

ELLIE_BEAN
04-03-2007, 12:16
I've quite liked this program but what has James Murray (Stephen) been in before?? It's really beginning to bug me. My brother says its Hollyoaks

Abbie
04-03-2007, 12:25
I think theres two eppisodes left not sure.

There should be as we have only seen 4 episodes

Cornishbabe
04-03-2007, 14:20
ok:) so it will finish on the 17th. two weeks before doctor who starts

Abbie
04-03-2007, 14:22
Well in that case it hasnt risked its ratings (whatever they are), which is quite clever

Babe14
05-03-2007, 09:16
Loving this espec as it is a different kind of viewing from the norm. I just crack up at the plastic dinos etc but they have the desired affect! Those dodos were just so funny:lol:

A very good drama, with romance, intrigue, maybe betrayal and mystery.

Just what does Helen know and is she resonsible for the phoenominies?

Trinity
05-03-2007, 13:13
I watched this again this week - really it is drival.

A cobbled together poor immitation of Dr Who/Torchwood/The X-files.

:thumbsdow

Abi
11-03-2007, 16:33
I really enjoyed yesterdays episode, actually. Its the only one so far that i can say that for.

The preview for the finale looked good as well :ninja:

Abbie
11-03-2007, 18:36
It was one of the better episodes last night and it does look quite good for next week, so hopefully it will be.

Trinity
12-03-2007, 16:53
The special effects are good.

That is all I can say in a positive post!

Tigerlily
26-03-2007, 14:02
Hi

Did anyone see the last Primeval? I totally missed and would like to know what happened- was supposed to be an excellent ending!

Many thanks

Abbie
28-12-2007, 19:25
Sorry to drag this up, its just its been a while and I was wondering if anyone knew if they are doing a second series?

Abbie
19-01-2008, 22:27
Okay is anyone watching this?
I kinda like for some werid reason

Leannex101x
26-02-2008, 19:43
hello i think they are making another series, they better because they cannot end it there!!

oh my goodness stephen gave up his own life ahhh

and that helen one is a ...not nice person

Abbie
26-02-2008, 19:45
I know I was sooo shocked about Stephen, so that did finish on saturday didnt it? What an ending!
I wish they would make more episodes.
I dont like Helen.
I wish Conor and Abby would get together, they would make such a cute couple

Leannex101x
26-02-2008, 19:51
so do i, it was really good, cant wait for the next series you get so addicted to shows you dont want them to end

Abbie
26-02-2008, 19:54
I know! :D
I want to know what Helen is up too, I swear that guy at the end was already dead.
I was annoyed that Abby and Conor werent together by the end after th episode we had a few weeks ago

Leannex101x
26-02-2008, 19:59
it seems she can go into the future and re-create the same person

weird but..cool

Abbie
26-02-2008, 20:01
I know, or something to do with her going to the past or to the future again, or changing stuff like at the end of series 1

lizann
21-03-2009, 11:35
Primeval star Andrew-Lee Potts has promised that the show will be "darker" this year.

The actor, who plays Connor Temple, has claimed that the ITV1 drama series will be unrecognisable due to changes in storytelling and special effects.

"I can't say too much but Connor gets a major storyline, and he has to grow up in quite a serious way," Potts told The Telegraph & Argus. "It's probably fair to say this series is a bit darker than the first two, and while we're getting a few new faces, we might be losing some too."

Asked about the programme's visual effects, he replied: "We've only just seen the finished episodes ourselves. I know I say this every year when a new season comes out, but this time it really blew me away.

"The effects team has absolutely pulled it out of the bag - they're pushing the limits of what can be done on television."

Primeval returns to ITV1 on March 28.

Abbie
22-03-2009, 11:54
Yay thanks for the date, I saw an advert yesterday saying coming soon, dont know why they just didnt say the date since its not that far away

Perdita
23-03-2009, 07:24
With no full series of Doctor Who on the air this year, both the BBC and ITV have kept back two genre shows to go out in the traditional Who slot.

ITV1's dinosaur romp Primeval - usually on the air in January - is returning this Saturday at 7.20pm.

Meanwhile, the new series of Robin Hood, which we'd normally expect to see in the Autumn, is ALSO returning this Saturday, at the slightly earlier time of 6.50pm.

The move means both shows will be going head to head in a battle for the Saturday night family audiences. But which will you be watching? Will it be Robin and his merry men, Cutter and crew - or the Only Fools rerun on G.O.L.D.?

From DS

Abbie
23-03-2009, 18:08
Well I will be watching Primeval :D

tammyy2j
25-03-2009, 14:51
Saturday nights are about to get interesting again, with both the BBC's Robin Hood and ITV's Primeval returning for their third series this weekend. For the dinosaur action drama, there are big changes afoot this year: as well as four new additions to the cast, there's a new ongoing Egyptology storyline and a mysterious new object known as 'the artefact'. We caught up with Ben Miller, who plays sarcastic ARC boss Lester, on the set of the show for a chat about the new series.

How is filming coming along on series three?
"It's great, really good! I'm in series three a bit more than I have been in the other two series, which I'm really enjoying. Obviously I'm largely desk-bound but now quite a few of the stories happen here in the ARC so I get a bit more involved."

How would you say series three is different? There's a new Egypt-related mythological storyline, isn't there?
"I think certainly as the series is developing it's becoming less about 'Walking with Dinosaurs meets Doctor Who' and it's more becoming its own kind of thing. Also there are all kinds of weird stuff coming through the anomalies this year - not just dinosaurs - so that's another way in which it's changed."

Last year Lester got to wield a gun, didn't he?
"Yeah, I got to shoot a mammoth. Well, I won't say shoot a mammoth, I didn't actually do that – I shot a future predator but I was saved by a mammoth. The devil's in the detail, isn't it?"

What's in store for Lester this series, then?
"I have this rival called Christine working in a different government organisation who is also interested in anomalies and there's a kind of power struggle between me and her. That character is played by my wife in real life, which makes it really fun actually. My wife auditioned for the part and didn't tell anyone she was my wife until she had to, right at the last minute."

Have you worked together before?
"We did a film before in Australia but this is the first time we've had lots of scenes together."

What has it meant for you both personally? Has it meant you're taking the show home more?
"We do talk about it at home, yeah. We don't tend to rehearse it at home but we do kind of chat about it, probably more than you would otherwise. It's really helped our scenes, actually."

What sort of character is Christine?
"Christine is sort of even better at Lester's game than Lester is. She can out-manoeuver Lester!"

What does she want, then? Why's she getting involved in this?
"At this stage we're not entirely sure but she seems to be extremely interested in the anomalies either for her own political gain or maybe she's got a darker motivation. All I know is that they find this thing called the artefact. Wrapped up, it's about the size of a yoga mat but it's a weird sort of Toblerone kind of object that is able to map and predict the appearance of the anomalies. She knows all about the artefact somehow and she's very keen to get her hands on it!"

I hear the artefact is a sort of 'key'...
"Yeah, the artefact is a kind of key to the anomalies that explains why Helen Cutter's been able to navigate them so efficiently."

Christine is one of several new characters this series. What are the others like?
"The military are getting a lot more involved in the running of the ARC. There's a new military character, Captain Becker, who's a real muscle man. Also Jason Flemyng plays a fantastic new character called Danny, who's an ex-policeman and kind of the opposite of Cutter. He's a completely haywire kind of guy who just loves getting his hands dirty, loves action, loves having problems to solve and getting the job done. He'll be a very interesting counterpart to Cutter this series."

Primeval returns Saturday at 7.20pm on ITV1.

Abbie
29-03-2009, 12:31
I liked last nights episode, I mean it could of been better but they did introduce a new character and I do like the whole new take on things and where the creatures come from, its cool when you think about it like that

Although next weeks episode looks much better

lizann
29-03-2009, 23:36
Douglas Henshall (Nick Cutter) is leaving Primeval at the end of Season 3 :( :(

Perdita
30-03-2009, 08:49
Oh no, he can't leave :crying: :(

Abbie
30-03-2009, 18:17
:eek: what!!! he cant! hes like the main one

By the way thats a spoiler!!!! you need to spoiler tag it NOW

Perdita
31-03-2009, 16:43
Primeval and Footballers' Wives star Laila Rouass has been receiving death threats.

According to The Sun, Rouass has moved in with former lover and boxing star Gary Stretch because she is concerned by "late-night prowlers" near her home.

The actress and her two-year-old daughter Inez are now residing at Stretch's London flat.

"She is scared for her life. Cops are taking the threats very seriously," said a source. "She has moved in with Gary for extra security. She is not taking any chances.

"She is a feisty lady - but she must put the safety of her daughter first. She is not romantically involved with Gary but when he offered to let her move in it seemed the best option. She won't stay long-term but she needs to feel safe."

That is awful :eek:

Abbie
04-04-2009, 21:46
Much better episode this week :D I really liked it

I wish Abby and Connor would hurry up and get together :wub:

Perdita
14-04-2009, 19:19
Laila Rouass was on the Paul O'Grady show today and said that Nick Cutter is going to die, his wife will kill him :crying: :crying: :crying:

Abbie
14-04-2009, 19:23
Perdita thats not a spoiler :)

Hes already dead, he died in episode 3 which aired on saturday :crying:

I was so shocked! I didnt think he would die hes like the main lead and its only episode 3!! they cant kill off people already!

Perdita
15-04-2009, 05:18
Oh no, I missed last Saturday's episode :crying: You are right, it is early for them to be killed off :(

Abbie
15-04-2009, 21:37
It was really sad and Im shocked they did it this early
It was a really good episode though cos in a way it had a mix of everything and really early on :eek:

I hope the next episode will be really good!

Perdita
18-04-2009, 07:30
Primeval star Andrew-Lee Potts has spoken out about the loss of key character Cutter.

Speaking on This Morning, Potts - aka Connor - revealed that the plot twist will have a "massive impact".

"It does have a massive impact on everybody character-wise," he said. "Also, in many ways it opens a lot of doors as well because everybody gets given more responsibility and I get to use my brain a little bit more."

Discussing the show's future storylines, he added: "My character does find the artifact. I can't tell you exactly what it is because it's top secret, but it's a big key to why the anomalies appear.

"So if we find the answers to the artifact then we might find the answers to life!"

The actor previously promised that the show would be darker this year.

Perdita
18-04-2009, 21:38
Loved tonight's episode, but I am missing Cutter so much :(

Abbie
22-04-2009, 15:03
I miss him too!

I really wish Abby and conor would hurry upand get together :wub:

Abbie
25-04-2009, 21:22
:eek: Im shocked that Jenny left, though not surprised after what happened and the fact we've had 2 newbies this series
Plus shes had quite a bit of air time recently compared to Abby who has started to fall into the background

Luna
29-04-2009, 17:47
The producers of Primeval are reportedly working on a film based in the US.

The proposed movie, based on the cult series, will begin later in the US later this year, reports io9.com.

An ITV insider confirmed confirmed to DS: "Discussions are underway for a Primeval film."

The move comes after it was announced that Jason Flemyng had joined the cast of the ITV1 show as Danny Quinn.

Abbie
29-04-2009, 18:52
I heard that, I wonder how it will work

Abbie
29-05-2009, 23:57
Anyone else apart from me, still watching this?

Perdita
30-05-2009, 07:57
Yes, I do :)

Abbie
30-05-2009, 17:22
Im really looking forward to last episode of this series :p

Perdita
31-05-2009, 12:54
I do, missed it this Saturday because of BGT final, but that is a good enough excuse :D

Abbie
31-05-2009, 16:17
Cant believe its nearly finished though :(

Perdita
31-05-2009, 19:28
No, I am gutted too :(

Abbie
31-05-2009, 23:01
Its been a good sereis though :D

Perdita
01-06-2009, 08:02
Out on DVD - have seen an advert this morning, but nearly £20 :(

Abbie
01-06-2009, 22:10
Yeah I saw the adverts too :)

Abbie
08-06-2009, 14:35
what a finale! I cant believe it ended like that :eek: and now we have to wait a whole year :( :(

And bless abby and connor!

Im still like omg in shock

I hope helen is dead I think we have had enough of her now

Perdita
08-06-2009, 14:45
The interview posted in the finale thread confirms that Helen is dead, I thought she might be unconscious and come back to haunt them all at first though.

Abbie
08-06-2009, 14:47
Good. No I think we have seen all we need to from her and understood what we needed to from her, theres not need for her anymore