PDA

View Full Version : EE 5 nights a week

alan45
17-02-2007, 06:01
EASTENDERS is to be screened FIVE times a week to do battle with rival Coronation Street, The Sun can reveal.

BBC1 bosses are set to film an extra half-hour episode of the soap, tipped to be broadcast on Wednesday nights. That would add up to 2½ hours of EastEnders per week — exactly the same as ITV1 rival Corrie.

A Beeb insider said: “BBC1 controller Peter Fincham is very keen to match Corrie episode for episode.

“He’s made no secret that he’d like EastEnders to go five times a week and is in discussions with drama chiefs to firm up the plans.”

EastEnders, whose stars include John Bardon as Jim Branning, now airs on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday nights, with an omnibus on Sundays.

Corrie has a Monday double bill and is also shown on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.

The extra half hour of EastEnders, which could alternatively be shown on Sundays, follows months of criticism over scripts and storylines.The show went four times a week in August 2001, to match Corrie, which introduced a fourth episode in 1996.

Stars had to be pacified by TV chiefs, who were said to have given them £50,000 pay rises for the extra workload.

Last night an EastEnders insider insisted the cast had NOT been told of plans for a fifth weekly episode.

A BBC spokeswoman said: “We constantly examine our schedules for possibilities.”

Smacks of desperation to me. An extra episode of EE per week does NOT mean it will get any better:nono: :nono:

Babe14
17-02-2007, 09:18
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: To compete with and match Corrie episode for episode:lol: :lol:

Best laugh I've had for ages!:rotfl:

Really Alan your jokes just get better and better!!

alan45
17-02-2007, 10:14
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: To compete with and match Corrie episode for episode:lol: :lol:

Best laugh I've had for ages!:rotfl:

Really Alan your jokes just get better and better!!I wish I was joking. How disillusioned are they down Elstree Way

Pinkbanana
17-02-2007, 10:20
I think you can get too much of a good thing, I for one havent the time/wouldnt want to watch EE 5 times a week.

I'd worry that the quality of the programme will suffer. I hope this is just one of those rumours that doing the rounds and there's no substance to it.

alan45
17-02-2007, 10:24
I hope this is just one of those rumours that doing the rounds and there's no substance to it.
Bit like the programme at the minute then:rotfl: When would they show it?? Wednesday at eight against the Bill. Sunday at Eight against Top Gear. They know better thna to go head to head with Emmerdale:nono:

Pinkbanana
17-02-2007, 10:39
Bit like the programme at the minute then:rotfl: When would they show it?? Wednesday at eight against the Bill. Sunday at Eight against Top Gear. They know better thna to go head to head with Emmerdale:nono:

I dont really care Al, when they would show it....as I'd probably give it a miss and catch it at 10pm on bbc3, or on the Sunday. :)

Yep, I get the point you dont like EE anymore for a variety of reasons, :rolleyes: but I for one do. I enjoy watching it, and to me thats all that matters.:p

alan45
17-02-2007, 10:50

but I for one do. I enjoy watching it, and to me thats all that matters.:p
I know you do PB and admire you for that. If you enjoy it thats all that matters. :clap: I wouldnt dream of slagging you off personally for watching it. :bow: I have (along with others) stopped watching it for a while. I will give it a few weeks and dip in again to see if Diedrick has kept any of his promises.:cool:

Jojo
17-02-2007, 12:12
I wish they'd go back to 3 episodes a week personally. I hardly watch anymore - on the odd occasion that I do, I get Max and Stacey :sick: which just makes me feel :sick:. Don't get me wrong, there have been some good storylines too, some of which have been of late, but this could end up being a bit of overkill. I would prefer it if they sorted out the storylines and scripts and gave us something unmissable again, rather than just wanting to be broadcast more often.

DaVeyWaVey
17-02-2007, 13:22
This really is a bad idea! I wish EE went back to three nights a week too personally, or maybe even two. The amount of times soaps are on each week is just getting ridiculous, i think the quality will suffer if EE goes five nights a week, cutting it back to two or three episodes may higher the quality, and the viewers probably would be more excited over the next episode (well i know i would be anyway) As PB said, you can get too much of a good thing.

callummc
17-02-2007, 13:34
just watched soccer AM and the guys who play bradley and max were on,they said its true,must say they didn't seem to impressed,when asked how they were gonna do it,they said well EE will hopefuuy get more writer and actors.

alan45
17-02-2007, 13:59
From the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6371239.stm
No EastEnders increase 'for now'

In 2001, a fourth weekly episode of the soap was added on Fridays
The BBC has refused to rule out a fifth episode each week for long-running soap EastEnders, but says it will not change the scheduling in the near future.
The Sun reported that the extra show was being considered to bring EastEnders in line with Coronation Street, seen five times a week on ITV1.

"There are no imminent plans to increase the number of episodes," a BBC spokesman said.

"However, we are constantly examining our schedules for possibilities."

He added: "At any one time, a whole host of options are under consideration for BBC One."

EastEnders is currently seen on BBC One every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, with an omnibus on Sunday.

Coronation Street has a double bill each Monday, with further episodes on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.

callummc
17-02-2007, 16:41
all i can say is the effort should be put into improving the crap their dishing out at the moment,rather than wasting money making an extra half hours garbage

CrazyLea
17-02-2007, 17:11
Hmm.. if it went up against Corrie, I know for one which one I'd watch :D And not bother catching the 10pm repeat. :nono: Bad idea, even if it isn't competing against Corrie. I'd just get bored.. I get bored on Thursdays to be honest, and want it over.. nothing to do with the boring storylines at the moment of course :p

Abbie
17-02-2007, 18:07
This is so annoying it will mess up my routine!!!!!

alan45
17-02-2007, 18:33
all i can say is the effort should be put into improving the crap their dishing out at the moment,rather than wasting money making an extra half hours garbage
Did you know it costs £50 million a year to make.

I wonder how much they pay in landfill tax:rotfl:

Chloe O'brien
18-02-2007, 00:39
All soaps not EE should go back to being on two or three nights a week. Not only would it encourage more viewers to watch it but with there being so many episodes on in one week is causing not only the storylines to suffer but the quality of acting as the actors are not having enough time to learn the scripts. If the soaps were to free up some air time then they could show some more quality drama's like spooks, walking the dead that at present are only shown for a few weeks once a year. At least the public wouldn't complain as much at the price of the licence fee.

Richie_lecturer
19-02-2007, 00:24
It seems yonks since I sat down to watch EE on Tuesday and Thursday, Corrie on Monday and Wednesday, and Emmerdale Farm on Monday and Thursday, with dollops of Crossroads and Brookie inbetween. :o

Siobhan
19-02-2007, 11:03
I love my dose of EE but 5 days a week would be overkill.. i think it was overkill with corrie and Emmerdale as it is, just adding another 5 day a week soap it just too much... EE should go back to 3 days a week.. quality over quanity and it would get its viewers back

alan45
19-02-2007, 11:34
I love my dose of EE but 5 days a week would be overkill.. i think it was overkill with corrie and Emmerdale as it is, just adding another 5 day a week soap it just too much... EE should go back to 3 days a week.. quality over quanity and it would get its viewers back

Emmerdale has managed the transition to 6 episodes a week very successfully as has Corrie with 5. The problem with EE is that it keeps coming up with daft storylines that cause fans to switch off or not care whether or not they even watch it. EE has some excellent actors who are not given the chance to shine in favour of young new 'talent' who are not brought in for their acting abilities but merely as eye candy to please a certain section of their core audience. THe latest brainwave that sees an 80 year old chain smoker who has been diagnosed with cancer adopt a child proves the point.

When neighbours and home and away both arrived on these shores they were shown 5 times a week twice a day and were extrememly popular.

By all means show EE 5 days a week if they can get decent scriptwriters but to cut it back to 2 episodes a week with the crew they have now will not improve it

Katy
19-02-2007, 12:36
I remember how it went downhill when it frst went to four days, i think this is a terrible idea, especially that time of night. I think for soaps like Home and Away a daily half hour works, but in the evening i think less is more personally. I for one think it would be easier to watch if it was on less.

.:SpIcYsPy:.
19-02-2007, 17:29
Not good news at all.. and that comes from not long a go ex-EE fan who still watches EE :)

Lizzie Brookes
04-03-2007, 18:44
Fpour a week is just right with a break in the middle on Wednesday. I would never stop watching it because I love it but I think five is too much.

Cornishbabe
05-03-2007, 19:20
Five nights a week in a row is stupid. Its gone downhill by having more eppisodes a week. (similar to casulty when it changed to all year around) Do they expect fans to tune in every day during the week to watch eppisodes with the standard theyve been having?

Lizzie Brookes
05-03-2007, 19:24
I don't mind Casualty being all year round.

Pinkbanana
05-03-2007, 19:32
Well ts all been denied by the powers that be at EE...Soooo I wouldnt worry about it folk...it isnt about to happen....:cool:

See PB eat her own words in a couple of weeks time....:o lol

Kim
16-04-2007, 20:02
Read in News Of The World that this is happening as of next year. The cast will get pay rises of up to 14%, and bosses are splashing out on a publicity campain to try and get more viewers. It will be on at 8pm on Wednesdays, also taking the 8pm spot on Thursday, going up against The Bill.

Pinkbanana
16-04-2007, 21:19
Read in News Of The World that this is happening as of next year. The cast will get pay rises of up to 14%, and bosses are splashing out on a publicity campain to try and get more viewers. It will be on at 8pm on Wednesdays, also taking the 8pm spot on Thursday, going up against The Bill.

As much as I love Enders, I really hope it doesnt go out 5 nights a week. I have not got the time for one. and I really think Enders struggles at times now with consistency and the writing. Though it does seem to me to be pretty good of late (with the Stella storyline). However I think personally the quality of the program may suffer if it goes 5 nights a week.

Moreover, does anyone here - who watches the prog - actually want to see it go out 5 night, or like me are contented with 4?

DaVeyWaVey
16-04-2007, 22:05
I want it to stay at 4 nights a week. I really don't understand though how they think they'll get more viewers by increasing the episode numbers. I'm sure many viewers who already watch the show may be put off with it being on 5 nights a week, as soaps are on way too much as it is, and if they want to attract new viewers to EE, i'm sure the new viewers would be put off with the commitment of watching EE five nights a week. Also if it goes one more night a week, i swear the quality will go down even more! If they want to attract more viewers, i think EE should go back to 3 nights, maybe even 2 nights a week. It's quality not quantity, and i'm sure if they decrease episode numbers, instead of increase them, the quality of the show will improve dramatically.

Richie_lecturer
17-04-2007, 00:09
5 nights a week? That would be telling.....

...Oh you mean EastEnders? Silly me....

5 nights of EE every week would be too much. Even one a week is too much for me to take at the moment!

Chloe O'brien
20-04-2007, 22:54
I think the quality of acting and writing or stories and plots would greatly improve if the soaps were pulled back to twice a week. That goes for Corrie, Hollyoaks, Emmerdale and EE.

Chris_2k11
20-04-2007, 23:53
I say 3 times a week. Mind you, Brookie always stayed at three times a week and that still went downhill.

alan45
21-04-2007, 10:09
I think the quality of acting and writing or stories and plots would greatly improve if the soaps were pulled back to twice a week. That goes for Corrie, Hollyoaks, Emmerdale and EE.Corrie and Emmerdale have both shown that its possible to have a succesful five or six episode soap. They have great writers and storylines at the moment EE is stuggling to even produce one decent episode per week

alan45
04-07-2007, 07:18
PLANS to screen EastEnders five nights a week might be scrapped — because the show is too weak.

BBC director general Mark Thompson yesterday said the soap needed to be “strengthened” and take more risks.

And he added plans for a fifth episode — revealed by The Sun — are on hold. He said: “My biggest focus is making sure we’ve got quality and consistency.

“I won’t rule out looking at five episodes — but the most important thing right now is getting the programme strengthened.” EastEnders — whose stars include June Brown who plays Dot Branning — has seen ratings drop to a record low in May of four million viewers.

Mr Thompson’s revelation came as the corporation admitted audiences were fed-up with the BBC’s lack of ideas and risk taking.

Fom todays Sun http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001320029-2007300630,00.html

Oh Dear

Baby Blue
04-07-2007, 10:44
PLANS to screen EastEnders five nights a week might be scrapped — because the show is too weak.

BBC director general Mark Thompson yesterday said the soap needed to be “strengthened” and take more risks.

And he added plans for a fifth episode — revealed by The Sun — are on hold. He said: “My biggest focus is making sure we’ve got quality and consistency.

“I won’t rule out looking at five episodes — but the most important thing right now is getting the programme strengthened.” EastEnders — whose stars include June Brown who plays Dot Branning — has seen ratings drop to a record low in May of four million viewers.

Mr Thompson’s revelation came as the corporation admitted audiences were fed-up with the BBC’s lack of ideas and risk taking.

Oh Dear

Great news!!!!!!!!

Shows that the BBC care about EE so much they want quailty above anything else!

Unlike ITV who pimp Corrie and Emmerdale nonstop.

Well done BBC. Showing how much you love and respect EastEnders.:cheer:

Five episodes would have been too much.

GREAT DAY FOR EE!!!!!

DaVeyWaVey
04-07-2007, 11:52
I agree that this is good news. It's quality we want, not quantity and it shows that the BBC want the quality of Eastenders back before they increase episodes, it's a good decision. :thumbsup:

Jojo
04-07-2007, 14:12
:eek:

OMG are the BBC finally listening to the viewers at last!! Wonders will never cease!

alan45
04-07-2007, 14:59

Oh Dear

Great news!!!!!!!!

GREAT DAY FOR EE!!!!!

Why do you again have to bring ITV into your arguments, This thread is about EE. The DG of the BBC has admitted that the soap is not good enough to be on 5 nights per week. There was nothing in the post mentioning about Emmerdale, Corrie or ITV. Personally I feel that EE isnt even strong enough for the number of episodes its showing at the minute. They havent got the quality or the consistency that the DG requires

Baby Blue
04-07-2007, 15:39

Oh Dear

Great news!!!!!!!!

GREAT DAY FOR EE!!!!!

Why do you again have to bring ITV into your arguments, This thread is about EE. The DG of the BBC has admitted that the soap is not good enough to be on 5 nights per week. There was nothing in the post mentioning about Emmerdale, Corrie or ITV. Personally I feel that EE isnt even strong enough for the number of episodes its showing at the minute. They havent got the quality or the consistency that the DG requires

Your acting like this is a bad thing.

Its a great thing.

Things not going your way!

poor baby. Go and find some school girl to bully. Your good at that.