PDA

View Full Version : Organ Donation

Abbie
23-01-2007, 21:18
What do you think about organ donation? Are you for or against it, or are you not sure? Do you think it should be compulsory, or forbidden? What do you think about countries (especially in Europe) which have laws saying that everyone who dies in this country is a potential organ donor unless he or she didn't fix his or her disagreement in written form? If you support organ donation, do you think it should be limited to specific organs?
I know some of this sounds a bit mad, but honestly what do you think? Whe you die will you actually be an organ donor?

I know the thought is sometimes not pleasent when you think that when your love ones die they will get cut open and etc, but I think i would be and organ donor, for me its just something I would do when I think that once Im gone I could help save someone.

CrazyLea
23-01-2007, 21:24
I'm all for it. I'd totally give my organs for donation when I die. Why not, is what I think? However, I don't think it should be compulsory, as not everyone is willing, and not everyone wants to be cut open when they die lol. So it should be that persons own decision.

Chloe O'brien
23-01-2007, 21:25
I already carry a doner card so I fully support doctors using my organs when I die. I would also be a live doner (god forbid) if anyone in my family took unwell and required a new kidney. I would not think twice about donating. I think that doctors should be able to use organs for transplants without having to cause families any more heartache by asking them. If an adult is carrying a doner card.

Luna
23-01-2007, 21:27
i carry a donor card they can take anything but my eyes - ive got a thing about someone else having my eyes :sick:

alan45
23-01-2007, 21:28
I am fully in agreement with organ donation. When you're dead you're dead. Someone else may have the benefit of your organs. I think it should be cumpulsory unless you opt out. There are thousands of people on Dialysis who could benfit. Corneal grafts are anther benefit.

Abbie
23-01-2007, 21:29
I'm all for it. I'd totally give my organs for donation when I die. Why not, is what I think? However, I don't think it should be compulsory, as not everyone is willing, and not everyone wants to be cut open when they die lol. So it should be that persons own decision.

Same here I dont think it should be complusary but I dont think its well advertised enough if you like. I mean we have loads of adverts for blood donations but not organs when alot of the time people die on waiting lists waiting for an organ.

Kim
23-01-2007, 21:33
I agree with it, but I don't think it should be compulsoy. Cremation and organ donation give me the creeps, and no-one's saying you have to be cremated, so I don't see why you should have to give organs. As long as it's what you want, that's fine. It helps others, so all the better.

Abbie
23-01-2007, 21:33
I think it should be cumpulsory unless you opt out.
That is a good point but what if the NHS or whatever messed it up and you ended up being an oragn donor.

Jojo
23-01-2007, 21:38
I carry a donor card - once I'm gone, my body is of no use to me anymore and I'd rather face death knowing that I may have been able to help someone live.

If any of my kids (god forbid) needed a kidney or anything, then I'd also be a live donor. I also think that if a donor card is carried by the deceased, then the family should have to be asked also as we know a lot of relatives recently bereaved don't like to think of their loved ones "not whole" anymore and its not exactly the nicest of questions to have to ask the family so soon after losing their loved one.

Abbie
23-01-2007, 21:40
If any of my kids (god forbid) needed a kidney or anything, then I'd also be a live donor. I also think that if a donor card is carried by the deceased, then the family should have to be asked also as we know a lot of relatives recently bereaved don't like to think of their loved ones "not whole" anymore and its not exactly the nicest of questions to have to ask the family so soon after losing their loved one.

I think thats a very good point, I mean you can live on one kidney so if a family member needed one and I was a match I would be happy to do it.

Behemoth
23-01-2007, 23:05
See this thread:

http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=23126

Please check for duplicate threads before posting.